Valdosta, Massillon and deep respect...

BigDrop

I have a friend in Valdosta who is almost as old as me-73.  Thirty or more years ago he told me a story about growing up in Valdosta and an experience that was common in their elementary schools.  

One day a year the Wildcats’ senior players would visit an elementary school to meet second or third graders.  The love for Valdosta football started young.

In the late ‘90’s I told this story to several local fans sitting in the stadium in Massillon, Ohio.  They looked at me, almost like I had the wrong school, the wrong town.

”The Tigers do that, too,” a 60 year old told me.  He still remembered the day that his class met the players perhaps a half century earlier.

There are reasons why Valdosta and Massillon each have a hundred or so years of success...and pride.  I heard “Massillon proud” for the first time that night in the Ohio stands. I’m sure Valdosta has its own slogan.  Probably started in second or third grade, too.

There must be a teacher somewhere who taught in both towns...

• Like 2

You can do that where attendance zones are pretty stable.  We've built so many high schools in the past 25 years there are only a few areas that are in the same HS zone they were that long ago.  Those tend to be the neighborhoods right next to the older HS.

Back when Nick Hyder was HC at Valdosta...the YMCA had their flag football program for the under 10 kids.  Each team ran the Wildcat offense and acclaimed Cat Diamond defense....cause each team was coached by Valdosta Wildcat players.

Little Alphonze still has his Championship trophy (Seahawks).

That was community spirit.

Rufus>>

• Like 1