Warm Weather Effect?

concha

https://www.medschool.umaryland.edu/news/2020/Researchers-Predict-Potential-Spread-and-Seasonality-for-COVID-19-Based-on-Climate-Where-Virus-Appears-to-Thrive.html

The University of Maryland mapped severe COVID-19 outbreaks with local weather patterns around the world, from the US to China. They found that the virus thrives in a certain temperature and humidity channel. “The researchers found that all cities experiencing significant outbreaks of COVID-19 have very similar winter climates with an average temperature of 41 to 52 degrees Fahrenheit, an average humidity level of 47% to 79% with a narrow east-west distribution along the same 30–50 N” latitude”, 

If true, then best to be in the South.

Maybe this will help to focus efforts based on local climate.

Or maybe at worst it will prove to be a natural fire wall as we head into Spring and Summer.

Not too sure. Albany Georgia is 30 minutes from my house and are having a pretty severe outbreak. Now under curfew and stay home non-essential people. I'm pretty sure they have more than the 46 cases there. That's just all the confirmed results they have. 

The temperature has been in the 80s. 

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/politics/jamie-dupree/albany-becomes/MYIPL5DALTUIY2ZNS2S2CAMPME/

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Not too sure. Albany Georgia is 30 minutes from my house and are having a pretty severe outbreak. Now under curfew and stay home non-essential people. I'm pretty sure they have more than the 46 cases there. That's just all the confirmed results they have. 

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/politics/jamie-dupree/albany-becomes/MYIPL5DALTUIY2ZNS2S2CAMPME/

Hopefully the exception and not the rule.

5 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Here too and it's spreading like a wildfire....we will be pushing 90 degrees the next 5 days.

We currently have 352 positive cases just in NOLA......I'll report back in 5 days. 

As of right now I'm not really feeling that particular study though.

15 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Here too and it's spreading like a wildfire....we will be pushing 90 degrees the next 5 days.

We currently have 352 positive cases just in NOLA......I'll report back in 5 days. 

As of right now I'm not really feeling that particular study though.

Yeah, I'm not buying the heat/humidity angle really. There's probably a coincedence with travel to those particular areas at this time of year or something. 

Just as was said, as testing gets more and more prevelant, new cases showing up every day in some of the most rural and deep south, swampy, hot counties. Clinch county Georgia just reported their first case today. 

Screenshot_20200321-204734_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1d1d00444c7da4fabd4b47cb30621976.jpg

What is a little unnerving is, how did it just magically appear there? I'm sure they travelled out to Valdosta or somewhere, but the source is unknown for some of these new cases. 

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah, I'm not buying the heat/humidity angle really. There's probably a coincedence with travel to those particular areas at this time of year or something. 

Just as was said, as testing gets more and more prevelant, new cases showing up every day in some of the most rural and deep south, swampy, hot counties. Clinch county Georgia just reported their first case today. 

Screenshot_20200321-204734_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1d1d00444c7da4fabd4b47cb30621976.jpg

What is a little unnerving is, how did it just magically appear there? I'm sure they travelled out to Valdosta or somewhere, but the source is unknown for some of these new cases. 

How long has the temperature been high?

The point of the heat and humidity is that the virus does not survive well in them.  Thus transmission is more limited.

Also, there is the up to 2-week incubation period.

57 minutes ago, concha said:

How long has the temperature been high?

The point of the heat and humidity is that the virus does not survive well in them.  Thus transmission is more limited.

Also, there is the up to 2-week incubation period.

We've had highs above 60 for a few weeks already with the 80s starting around the 10th and next week supposed to see some 90s. 

I hate to keep bringing up Osterholm, but, if he's wrong about warm weather being our savior on this, it will be the first thing he's totally wrong on. 

I hope it does kill it or slow it though, I'm just not trusting it will right now. Our humidity has been on the rise and temps to where the girls have been in shorts for a while already. I've cut my grass a few times already too. 

The flu virus is mostly subsided around here but this thing is just taking off at the time when we're used to the flu disappearing. 

50 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

We've had highs above 60 for a few weeks already with the 80s starting around the 10th and next week supposed to see some 90s. 

I hate to keep bringing up Osterholm, but, if he's wrong about warm weather being our savior on this, it will be the first thing he's totally wrong on. 

I hope it does kill it or slow it though, I'm just not trusting it will right now. Our humidity has been on the rise and temps to where the girls have been in shorts for a while already. I've cut my grass a few times already too. 

The flu virus is mostly subsided around here but this thing is just taking off at the time when we're used to the flu disappearing. 

Well, the study at Maryland does say "average temperatures", not highs.

If this does react to climate like the flu, then things should really start to drop off next month. March is usually the last very active one.

God willing.

Still pointing out the obvious, but, southwest Georgia has been above 75 and 80, but, the numbers aren't slowing, they're picking up. 

If the heat was gonna stop this thing, two or three weeks ago, the numbers wouldn't be growing today. It's been over 59 for a while down here. Albany is one of the spots with the largest numbers and everyone else is starting to see their first cases. 

The cases reflect what happened 2 weeks ago, so, if those people weren't quarantined, they were sharing the love. Folks down here pretty much doing like every other day. Lol. Waffle House had a sign up today, Dining Room Open! Come on in!

Yep, head on in there and get you some of that coronavirus over easy. xD people sitting in there eating. 

• Haha 3

On 3/21/2020 at 8:49 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

Just saw a video from a scientist, explaining the exponential impact.. if one infects 3 people then times ten it 59,000 infected in 5 days...

Highly contagious.

BGW

BGW

• Like 1