The Love between Player and Coach

paladin4ever

Awesome! It puts things in their proper perspective. Coaches are no doubt one of the greatest influences on high school and college kids. When you think about it, kids almost spend more time with their coaches than their parents. A great coach is somebody that prepares a kid for life after school since >99% of these athletes won't be playing sports for a living.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

Great stuff. The coach player relationship can be very tricky at times. When to push hard. When to ease up. When to encourage. When to break down then build up.  

And on graduation day, when the coach places the athlete sash over the magna cum laude sash of his student athlete, everyone in attendance knows it was all worth it and that a life long bond is cemented. 

37 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Awesome! It puts things in their proper perspective. Coaches are no doubt one of the greatest influences on high school and college kids. When you think about it, kids almost spend more time with their coaches than their parents. A great coach is somebody that prepares a kid for life after school since >99% of these athletes won't be playing sports for a living.

Let me tell you, if you are loyal to the coach and program and not a daddyball kid, that coach will move mountains for you to succeed both on and off the field and in the classroom.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

Let me tell you, if you are loyal to the coach and program and not a daddyball kid, that coach will move mountains for you to succeed both on and off the field and in the classroom.

Very true. Daddyball is a very bad cancer in sports today. It has been very well documented on this board by some.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Very true. Daddyball is a very bad cancer in sports today. 

And it's recognized. Several coaches spoke to it over coffee last week and they all agreed dad was now part of the evaluation. Not only that but the consensus was that more time was spent on evaluating dad than talent as talent is easier to determine. And yes, all agreed offers had gone unoffered in all sports because of this. 

Oh, listen to this one! 

My kid just took her first job coaching. 10 year old girls. 

So after a week of tryouts she had to call the dad and break the news. 

Right out of the box one dad takes issue with the evaluation. "Well I played at Clemson and I have my A coaching licence and my daughter belongs on the top team not the 3rd team!" 

10 year old girls!!!!

4 hours ago, noonereal said:

And it's recognized. Several coaches spoke to it over coffee last week and they all agreed dad was now part of the evaluation. Not only that but the consensus was that more time was spent on evaluating dad than talent as talent is easier to determine. And yes, all agreed offers had gone unoffered in all sports because of this. 

Oh, listen to this one! 

My kid just took her first job coaching. 10 year old girls. 

So after a week of tryouts she had to call the dad and break the news. 

Right out of the box one dad takes issue with the evaluation. "Well I played at Clemson and I have my A coaching licence and my daughter belongs on the top team not the 3rd team!" 

10 year old girls!!!!

Does not surprise me in the least. Little Mary is always the best player according to daddy. I say every girl has a right to compete and earn a spot. Nothing is given to you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

Very true. Daddyball is a very bad cancer in sports today. It has been very well documented on this board by some.

And the "I want to play now athlete or I'm transfering" is killing HS sports. We had this discussing last night after our scrimmage that kids today have a hard time waiting their turn to be that starter and look to move on vs paying their dues and sticking with a program. Dad's where the #1 reason we came up with but another we discussed is the single age sports now. When I grew up it was two ages played together 6/7, 8/9 then 5th/6th and 7th/8th graders and you learned from the older players and worked your way onto the field - obviously some younger kids started but most sat that 1st year and where 2nd team. With single age you have a lot of kids that never learn how to sit and wait and be a good teammate until it becomes their time to get on the field.

1 hour ago, Warrior said:

And the "I want to play now athlete or I'm transfering" is killing HS sports. We had this discussing last night after our scrimmage that kids today have a hard time waiting their turn to be that starter and look to move on vs paying their dues and sticking with a program. Dad's where the #1 reason we came up with but another we discussed is the single age sports now. When I grew up it was two ages played together 6/7, 8/9 then 5th/6th and 7th/8th graders and you learned from the older players and worked your way onto the field - obviously some younger kids started but most sat that 1st year and where 2nd team. With single age you have a lot of kids that never learn how to sit and wait and be a good teammate until it becomes their time to get on the field.

Very true. But why wait when daddy says your the best. Hence where we are today. 

• Like 1