Jersey time!!!

sausmann9

Alright, I neglected my super-cool neighbors to my East long enough.  Have to put together a nice Jersey fix and get my games on.  I have two more days of confinement so no better way to kickoff the rest of the week with some cold weather, hard hitting, smash mouth football.

2003 Don Bosco v Bergen Catholic for the title.  I remember realizing there's nothing like Giant Stadium at 7pm in December for a championship!

Right to the crazy ass carousal of a 2004 season we have here.  These three teams just couldn't figure out who wanted to be the best until the end of the season.  Wow, what an end.

2004 Don Bosco v Bergen Catholic for a week 2 matchup.  Micheal Ray running wild in this one if I remember correctly.  Bosco starting slow and then exploding for a big 2nd half.

2004 Bergen Catholic v St Joe's Regional.  This week 9 battle was a top shelf game in the making and it didn't disappoint.  Cushing is such a beast!

2004 Don Bosco v Bergen Catholic for the rematch and title.  Same outside conditions as the 2003 title game but colder and a bit wet in beautiful East Rutherford for a night game in December.  Toal v Cushing.  Beast mode v Beast Mode.  Power and speed v power and speed.  The collisions of these two are epic.  Nobody doubted Toal being one of the best coming out of the NE region but on this night Cushing solidifies his spot as one of the absolute all-time best coming out of the Northeast.

Thinking of you @taojoe    :)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Wow, I would have loved to heard the quick conversation between Brian Toal and Brian Cushing after the last touchdown in that 2003 title game (Toal scored on a nice run).  Cushing got in his earhole and said something to him, Toal quietly responded saying something back to Cushing, and both go separate ways after a quick hand-slap.  

Both were all-Americans as juniors and seniors I believe and both knew they (Bosco and Bergen) would see each other again at least one time next season and both probably assumed they would see each other twice.  Neither knew St Joes Regional might have something to say about that in 04' though.

12 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

Wow, I would have loved to heard the quick conversation between Brian Toal and Brian Cushing after the last touchdown in that 2003 title game (Toal scored on a nice run).  Cushing got in his earhole and said something to him, Toal quietly responded saying something back to Cushing, and both go separate ways after a quick hand-slap.  

Both were all-Americans as juniors I believe and both knew they would see each other again at least one more time next season and both probably assumed they would see each other twice.  Neither knew St Joes Regional might have something to say about that in 04' though.

Video would be awesome thanks

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Video would be awesome thanks

the video is awesome!!!  youre welcome :)

I have it on disc.  send me address and pick more than just that game.

if you want this "four game" package, let me know.  

gotta go, kickoff starts in 32 minutes.

check your inbox

21 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

Both were all-Americans as juniors and seniors I believe and both knew they (Bosco and Bergen) would see each other again at least one time next season and both probably assumed they would see each other twice.  Neither knew St Joes Regional might have something to say about that in 04' though.

I think Joe's defeated Bosco that year behind the bruising running of Andy Roman's, accompanied by an amazing display of agility on the behalf of RB Jason McCourty.

• Like 1

Correct SJR best Bosco. At Bosco ... same amount of time for both SJR and BC to beat Bosco under toal era .... I was on a plane flying to Ireland for my wedding ... I called the record 3 times for updates ... cost me and arm and a leg .. when we found out we won ... me and my dad had a celebratory cocktail over the Atlantic ..... 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SJR 04 said:

I think Joe's defeated Bosco that year behind the bruising running of Andy Roman's, accompanied by an amazing display of agility on the behalf of RB Jason McCourty.

yes they did and that was another great game!  And at Bosco too.  

SJR had a really nice team that 2004 season.  I'll say it now, if Bergen did not fake that punt and Cushing catch that TD, SJR would have gotten them in the end.  That swung so much momentun in that game.  

Jason and brother Devon both very very fast with great hands!!!  Those kids could fly!    Romans was bad ass for not a huge running back and ran the ball as if he were 6'3" 230 :) , he was tough as hell. Weiss was a really good quarterback even though he had a ton a great recievers, he put the ball on the spot just about every time.  I thought Ferla and Kline were also reaslly good athletes as well but my fav on that team had to be #5 Wooten.  That kid could ball.  Cushing laid the wood on him a few times over the middle and on an out, he popped up every time ready to go again.

1 hour ago, SJR89 said:

Correct SJR best Bosco. At Bosco ... same amount of time for both SJR and BC to beat Bosco under toal era .... I was on a plane flying to Ireland for my wedding ... I called the record 3 times for updates ... cost me and arm and a leg .. when we found out we won ... me and my dad had a celebratory cocktail over the Atlantic ..... 

that 2004 season produced a bunch of great matchups b/n SJR, BC, and Bosco.  Right up to the end!

That 2004 Bergen vs SJR game had a total of 875 yards when the whistle sounded!  

2 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

SJR had a really nice team that 2004 season.  I'll say it now, if Bergen did not fake that punt and Cushing catch that TD, SJR would have gotten them in the end.  That swung so much momentun in that game.  

Jason and brother Devon both very very fast with great hands!!!  Those kids could fly!    Romans was bad ass for not a huge running back and ran the ball as if he were 6'3" 230 :) , he was tough as hell. Weiss was a really good quarterback even though he had a ton a great recievers, he put the ball on the spot just about every time.  I thought Ferla and Kline were also reaslly good athletes as well but my fav on that team had to be #5 Wooten.  That kid could ball.  Cushing laid the wood on him a few times over the middle and on an out, he popped up every time ready to go again.

I was  at  SJR vs BC game in the endzone w 50 SJR alumni...it was 21-0 SJR in the 1st quarter...were gonna leave to go out and tailgate.......the turning point in the game was also delivered by Cushing on a SJR kick return in the first half....he went unblocked and hit our best all around player...Ferla who was returning the kick...cushing shattered his right arm in multiple breaks......that was the physiological turning point for SJR.......all time great game with 6 future NFL players....3 from each team....can you name all 6 ??????? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SJR89 said:

I was  at  SJR vs BC game in the endzone w 50 SJR alumni...it was 21-0 SJR in the 1st quarter...were gonna leave to go out and tailgate.......the turning point in the game was also delivered by Cushing on a SJR kick return in the first half....he went unblocked and hit our best all around player...Ferla who was returning the kick...cushing shattered his right arm in multiple breaks......that was the physiological turning point for SJR.......all time great game with 6 future NFL players....3 from each team....can you name all 6 ??????? 

that "HIT" was crazy!!!  Cushing had another bone crunching hit on a kickoff near the end of the game as well.  he came untouched from the right side and laid the wood.  

okay, here's my guess on the six;

Cushing, Isaih Williams, and Jimmy Drey from BC  ???  I know BC had that BIG tackle as well but cant remember the name (Larcus?)

One of the McCorty bros, Wooten, and your big boy on the line Cacuzzi???

I know I got at least one right cuz I saw Cushing in that silly Texans costume during the season once or twice.  He would have looked so much better in a Giants uniform!

16 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

that "HIT" was crazy!!!  Cushing had another bone crunching hit on a kickoff near the end of the game as well.  he came untouched from the right side and laid the wood.  

okay, here's my guess on the six;

Cushing, Isaih Williams, and Jimmy Drey from BC  ???  I know BC had that BIG tackle as well but cant remember the name (Larcus?)

One of the McCorty bros, Wooten, and your big boy on the line Cacuzzi???

I know I got at least one right cuz I saw Cushing in that silly Texans costume during the season once or twice.  He would have looked so much better in a Giants uniform!

BC is yes.....SJR was the Mcourtys and  Ron Girault....he a cup of cioffee in the NFL but still counts

4 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

hey for any of you all from Bergen area; if you are heading up to Cuse' from Bergen.  Which is a better way to take,  17 to 81 or 87 to 90???  tx.

90 is way longer but I take that route cause I like the catkill and I refuse to deal with police 👮‍♀️ hiding in the craziest spots in Scranton area

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, SJR89 said:

BC is yes.....SJR was the Mcourtys and  Ron Girault....he a cup of cioffee in the NFL but still counts

wow, both brothers went, that's cool. where did they play college ball?  they just seemed fast in high school.  

Girault?  not familiar w/ that one?

46 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

90 is way longer but I take that route cause I like the catkill and I refuse to deal with police 👮‍♀️ hiding in the craziest spots in Scranton area

Hell that entire trip up through the Poconos passed Scranton is a speed trap at at any given time!

14 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

Wooten is my cousin. He is also the older cousin of Andrew Booth Jr. From Archer, 5* DB that now plays for Clemson. Thats why I said Booth would've played for Joe's had they nor moved to Georgia.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

wow, both brothers went, that's cool. where did they play college ball?  they just seemed fast in high school.  

Girault?  not familiar w/ that one?

I'm pretty sure Girualt graduated the year before the McCourty's. He graduated with Kev and Charles Sullivan. He and the McCourty's played at Rutgers. They were all under recruited and ended up turning that Rutgers program around. All started as freshmen. Dev had to redshirt though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SJR89 said:

I was at that game too...I left a Bosco playoff game that they were winning big time and half time (P.C. maybe?) so we went to check out the second half of the B.C./Joes game...Cushing took over the game in the second half...and that hit on the kickoff was awesome!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SJR 04 said:

Wooten is my cousin. He is also the older cousin of Andrew Booth Jr. From Archer, 5* DB that now plays for Clemson. Thats why I said Booth would've played for Joe's had they nor moved to Georgia.

out of all the studs all over that field that game, he seemed to stand tall amonst those giants (Drey, Cusiing, Williams).  he was fearless over the middle w/ Cushing floating around looking for a big hit..  Full speed all game!  Tough kid for sue!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 9:30 AM, SJR 04 said:

I met his parents tailgating at St. Anthony's in L.I. a long time ago...very nice people...his uncle was there too..a big Cowboy fan too!

• Like 1