Ohio Week 1 *Covid Edition*

Coletrain06

St. Edward @ Massillon  - Eds 27 Massillon 24

Eds looks to be one of the favorites in D1 again this year. Eds has some key pieces back as well as some great younger talent......Massillon looks to be a favorite in D2. Massillon made it to the D2 title game last year and bring back a good amount of talent. Probably a very close game.  

La Salle @ Elder - La Salle 30 Elder 14

La Salle seems to be one of the best teams in the state.  They are the defending D2 champs, and they bring back quite a bit of talent.  This is probably the most talented team La Salle has ever had.........Elder should be a solid team again this year,  but will probably take a step back from last year's team.  Elder has some big guys up front again which will help as they adapt to a new QB........I like La Salle in this one

Colerain vs Lakota West - Colerain 17 West 14

Colerain's Former coach Tom Bolden makes his first return to "the Cage" to face his former team with hopes of ending Colerain's ridiculous GMC streak.......On offense, Colerain brings back 2 QBs, Tyler Prather & Freddie Johnson. Also Colerain has a huge threat at WR in 6'4 Isaiah Myers (whom will be a big recruit by the time he's a senior)., and a good FB in MJ Flowers. Johnson ran the offense last year as more of a traditional Option QB. Prather has a cannon arm and is more of a pocket passer and was used here and there. In Colerain's scrimmage against Fairfield, they used mostly Prather at QB, and ran alot of plays out of shotgun, and probably 50/50 run/pass. Freddie ran QB a little and lined up at WB and played some DB. Who knows who will be at QB today. Colerain does have to replace their entire OLine. Not optimal but not out of the ordinary either. On Defense, Colerain should be very stout anchored by DL Dante "The Godfather" Corleone. Colerain's LB's will be very good, led by Captain Mike Bess (whom missed most of last season due to injury) and the secondary should be very solid. This should be another very good Colerain defense. Bess and Corleone cleaned up against Fairfield. Colerain won the scrimmage 23-7...........West has some great players and overall are probably pretty even in talent with Colerain. Bolden's son will be at QB, I assume. I think both of the Afari brothers are back as well. Also West received a pretty high recruit transfer from Louisiana. West scrimmaged X last week, and from the accounts of the X guys, X won the first half 17-0. After mass substitutions, West won the 2nd half 28-0..............West has the talent and coaches who know Colerain's system well enough to win this game. The defenses will shine in this one, and I think Colerain's will be better. 

St. X @ Brownsburg IN - St. X 24 Brownsburg 21

Brownsburg running clocked Ben Davis last week. Don't know how much that means but either way its a nice performance. An extra week of live gameplay, especially this season, will benefit Brownsburg....... X looks to be solid this year. Nothing jumping out at me besides Liam Clifford, but a solid overall group. As I have more time, Ill get better looking into the teams.....I look for a close game, and wouldnt be at all surprised with a Brownsburg win.

Pickerington Central vs Pickerington North - Pick Central 21 Pick North 14

Pick Central is back and loaded again according to their fans. Same with Pick North according to their fans. Should be a fun neighborhood rivalry game. Ill take Pick Central.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

This is as confident as I’ve felt against the Cards in several years...so that means the 2nd half will probably start with the clock running lol. 

No doubt. I think this is the best chance West has had besides 2011. 

Especially since its week 1. Vast majority of Colerains losses over the years have been in week 1.....also the familiarity with the offense and defense.

Not sure about Eds winning since they had no scrimmages, several guys not playing this game due to injuries and breaking in a new QB.

heard from a source that they are treating this as a scrimmage and playing most everyone. 

Zero wins gets you into the playoffs this year and hopefully the season gets to that point. 

1 minute ago, hardhit1 said:

The COVID year is certainly a year we all

hope to forget

No shit man. The colerain west game was horrible to watch. Kudos to bolden having his boys ready but it shows what Covid has interrupted. Not to take anything away from fish and his malt but that game was hard to watch. It looked like and felt like a scrimmage. I do like what bolden has done and addressed with Lakota west tho. Colerain experimenting with 2 qbs again... I told @Coletrain06 the best years are behind us. The flight to the outer suburbs is happening again. Colerain will be Colerain. They will be nitty gritty and with this years playoff format, there defense can hold them until that machine gets running. Even then tho, this year personally is a wash for me. Who ever wins the D1 under these schedules and rules and playoffs if Ohio ball makes it that far... it’s a wash for me. I’m glad the kids are getting to play. I just don’t see it lasting.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CardinalTruth said:

No shit man. The colerain west game was horrible to watch. Kudos to bolden having his boys ready but it shows what Covid has interrupted. Not to take anything away from fish and his malt but that game was hard to watch. It looked like and felt like a scrimmage. I do like what bolden has done and addressed with Lakota west tho. Colerain experimenting with 2 qbs again... I told @Coletrain06 the best years are behind us. The flight to the outer suburbs is happening again. Colerain will be Colerain. They will be nitty gritty and with this years playoff format, there defense can hold them until that machine gets running. Even then tho, this year personally is a wash for me. Who ever wins the D1 under these schedules and rules and playoffs if Ohio ball makes it that far... it’s a wash for me. I’m glad the kids are getting to play. I just don’t see it lasting.

I think if the kids practice 4-6 weeks and play a few games that would be fantastic based on these circumstances 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CardinalTruth said:

Yeah, it’s definitely an asterisk season.