Ohio Week 1 *Covid Edition*

Coletrain06

29 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

Yeah, it’s definitely an asterisk season. 

Asterisk maybe, I saw a lot of change in west. The talent they had for years may finally be utilized. You know the area, you have seen the flight out of Colerain. This won’t be like when Haynes took over East. The forecast for west is good from what I can see. Perfect mixture as I like to call it. Can Colerain still survive? Sure they will be the next Glenville. Even then tho, you seen the flight of the generations. Everyone younger fleeing to Harrison, ross, lakotas ect. Time will tell but I know I’m right. I saw it studying the players tonight for LW. Normal off season I think Colerain this year wins by 14. But the gap just got fast forwarded. Hats off to those kids bolden is showing to be gritty. 

So after finishing watching the Colerain/Lakota West game, heres my thoughts. 

- As @CardinalTruth pointed out, it was hard to watch, and looked like a scrimmage. From players struggling to adjust to new covid rules/procedures, stupid penalties, bad snaps, players rotating in and out, and minimal crowd; both teams looked very sloppy, showing how important multiple full scrimmages are.

- Lakota West has much more high end talent. Having Bolden there to utilize the talent could awaken the sleeping giant we all knew was there in West Chester. They also have far greater size on the Lines which played the biggest part in this game.....more on that.

- Both Defenses looked Superb, both offenses looked horrid. How much both of those things have to do with each other remains to be seen.

- Colerain's OLine is completely new and very small, and this, more than any of the other issues, is why the offense struggled so much. The biggest OLineman is 240 and the rest are 220 or below. 

- Colerain seems to want to go with Tyler Prather at QB; the taller, pocket passer type, rather than Freddie Johnson, whom ran the offense last year. Im not sure which will be the right choice, but Im guessing the lack of size on the Line is necessitating the move to Prather at QB and moving Freddie to all purpose.......In the scrimmages from last year and this year, Prather looked great slinging the ball around. When its come to actual game time, he has barely been able to get a completion. Last night he had little time to throw and was being hit as he threw nearly every time. He does throw a great ball, just needs to set his feet and hone in the accuracy. On the flip side, Im not sure how successful Freddie can be with a primarily rushing offense behind this Line.

- The game was very close and both teams had maybe a handful of successful plays. Colerain had a few more miscues and turnovers: some just stupid and unforced, which gave West great field position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

So after finishing watching the Colerain/Lakota West game, heres my thoughts. 

- As @CardinalTruth pointed out, it was hard to watch, and looked like a scrimmage. From players struggling to adjust to new covid rules/procedures, stupid penalties, bad snaps, players rotating in and out, and minimal crowd; both teams looked very sloppy, showing how important multiple full scrimmages are.

- Lakota West has much more high end talent. Having Bolden there to utilize the talent could awaken the sleeping giant we all knew was there in West Chester. They also have far greater size on the Lines which played the biggest part in this game.....more on that.

- Both Defenses looked Superb, both offenses looked horrid. How much both of those things have to do with each other remains to be seen.

- Colerain's OLine is completely new and very small, and this, more than any of the other issues, is why the offense struggled so much. The biggest OLineman is 240 and the rest are 220 or below. 

- Colerain seems to want to go with Tyler Prather at QB; the taller, pocket passer type, rather than Freddie Johnson, whom ran the offense last year. Im not sure which will be the right choice, but Im guessing the lack of size on the Line is necessitating the move to Prather at QB and moving Freddie to all purpose.......In the scrimmages from last year and this year, Prather looked great slinging the ball around. When its come to actual game time, he has barely been able to get a completion. Last night he had little time to throw and was being hit as he threw nearly every time. He does throw a great ball, just needs to set his feet and hone in the accuracy. On the flip side, Im not sure how successful Freddie can be with a primarily rushing offense behind this Line.

- The game was very close and both teams had maybe a handful of successful plays. Colerain had a few more miscues and turnovers: some just stupid and unforced, which gave West great field position. 

This is as good an analysis as you'll find anywhere.  I was STUNNED at the size of the Colerain OL.  They are tiny.  Put it this way...the smallest DL for West was bigger than ALL of the OL for Colerain.  You simply can't win running the ball the way we do with an OL that small unless they are very, very fast and we move to a much more "arena" style of play with quick hand-offs and misdirection...which takes lots of reps to perfect.

The tally, for those curious, was 83 consecutive regular season league games in a row, 87 wins in a row over GMC teams if you count the 4 playoff victories during that same timeframe.  And if you REALLY want your mind blown, just before they lost in October 2008, they had rattled off 59 straight conference wins.  So, before last night, Colerain, since 2000 had a conference record of 140-1 since .  Now, it falls to 140-2...I can live with that. The 83 consecutive wins in the regular season is a record that will never be touched again by anyone.  Neither will the 20 consecutive conference championships.

It's sad.  Can't believe The Streak ended like that.  Getting shut out, at home to THAT guy.  The best days are certainly behind us, that is no longer in question.  Now, it's about getting back on the horse and staying competitive each and every year.

-93CardinalsFan

Lakota West was the school 4* Jyaire Brown transferred to from Warren Easton (NOLA).......small world.

Brown is originally from Cincy.....moved to NOLA when he was 3, now back in Ohio.

Brown's brother was Lonnell played at Colerain.

Lakota West has some junior talent.......they have another Ohio St commit  https://247sports.com/Player/Tegra-Tshabola-46083974/

and couple more highly rated guys in that class.

WEST CHESTER TOWNSHIP, Ohio — Warren Easton Charter School (New Orleans) 2022 cornerback Jyaire Brown announced Tuesday night he plans to attend Lakota West High School for the next two years.

Brown, who is verbally committed to Ohio State, is rated the nation's No. 16 cornerback in the 2022 class by 247 Sports.

Brown, who is 6 feet and 180 pounds, is the younger brother of former Colerain standout defensive back/running back Lonnell Brown. Bolden coached the four-year letterwinner at Colerain. Brown was a first-team all-Greater Miami Conference selection as a defensive back his senior season.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school-sports/ohio-high-school-sports/ohio-state-verbal-commit-jyaire-brown-announces-he-is-transferring-to-lakota-west

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

This is as good an analysis as you'll find anywhere.  I was STUNNED at the size of the Colerain OL.  They are tiny.  Put it this way...the smallest DL for West was bigger than ALL of the OL for Colerain.  You simply can't win running the ball the way we do with an OL that small unless they are very, very fast and we move to a much more "arena" style of play with quick hand-offs and misdirection...which takes lots of reps to perfect.

The tally, for those curious, was 83 consecutive regular season league games in a row, 87 wins in a row over GMC teams if you count the 4 playoff victories during that same timeframe.  And if you REALLY want your mind blown, just before they lost in October 2008, they had rattled off 59 straight conference wins.  So, before last night, Colerain, since 2000 had a conference record of 140-1 since .  Now, it falls to 140-2...I can live with that. The 83 consecutive wins in the regular season is a record that will never be touched again by anyone.  Neither will the 20 consecutive conference championships.

It's sad.  Can't believe The Streak ended like that.  Getting shut out, at home to THAT guy.  The best days are certainly behind us, that is no longer in question.  Now, it's about getting back on the horse and staying competitive each and every year.

-93CardinalsFan

While I agree the best days of standing alone on the peak of the mountain are behind us, I would compare it more to Colerain coming down some from the peak, while some of the rest of the GMC has been slowly climbing up that mountain and we're close to even now......as opposed to the view that Colerain will be tumbling down the side of the mountain.

People are overreacting to one game, and forgetting how bad the offense looked early last season and honestly every year in week 1. If we had played Fairfield in week 1 last year, we would have lost. Lets see how it all plays out. 

We have plenty of skill players on offense, and a very good defense. I AM concerned about the Line, but theres nothing gonna change that. Most of our players look like LB's or DB's. It is what it is. Coaches need to find a way to get those skill guys some protection

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Good to see the chatter back. Going to be an interesting season with the format changes this year. Without the benefit of multiple scrimmages (or none at all for some teams), the first couple weeks will be a feeling out period for many teams.

Couple interesting results from the opening weekend. Did not expect the ensuing shootout in the LS/Elder game given the talent on defense the Lancers have. Coach Ramsey continues to impress me with his offensive system and the knack to put his play makers in the best positions to execute. If they could only find those guys on the other side of the ball. 

I suppose Colerain's streak had to end sometime, and it's fitting that it happened in the goofiest year on record. LW has always had it's share of talented players, and now with Bolden at the helm, perhaps we seem them make the most of it. The Cardinals will be alright. Defense still looks top notch. The offense may take some time to get going. 

Ed's and coach Tom Lombardo were able to pull a rabbit out of their hat and escape Massillon with the one-point victory. Thoroughly beat on the stat sheet, the Eagles relied on phenomenal special teams play, a couple big turnovers, and a timely called lateral pass to leave the Tigers scratching their heads how they didn't win that game. Massillon is loaded at the skill positions, and boosted by the addition of several offseason transfers. Ballard, who looks to have added a few more inches to his already long frame, appeared to be impossible to contain early in the first half after connecting on two 30+ yd TD's over the top. Credit Ed's secondary for locking him up in the second half. That, along with some well-timed blitzes and a great interception by CJ Hankins helped to put the Eagles in position for the comeback. Ed's offense has a long way to go. Ramos came into the season with a lot of fanfare, but looked incredibly shaky out there. Lombardo kept the reigns on by calling very few pass plays, but the young QB really struggled with some easy short throws and was putting too much smoke on the intermediate and long passes. I expected some rust with no scrimmages this season and a ton of new starters, and it certainly showed. Way too many missed tackles from the defense as well, although credit does need to go to the Massillon RB Venson who is an absolute load and has legs like tree trunks. Tigers will be just fine moving forward and I'd be surprised if they lose another regular season game. Ed's is still a work in progress, trying to find the right 22 guys, but could be poised for another postseason run once they do. Hopefully Bixby is back in the lineup for the Hoban game. His presence on the edge was sorely missed on Friday. 

Pick Central does look to be the class of D1 after the opening weekend. Yes, Pick North was without their stud Sawyer, but Central just has so many athletes out there I don't think it would have made a difference. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 4:03 PM, Coletrain06 said:

While I agree the best days of standing alone on the peak of the mountain are behind us, I would compare it more to Colerain coming down some from the peak, while some of the rest of the GMC has been slowly climbing up that mountain and we're close to even now......as opposed to the view that Colerain will be tumbling down the side of the mountain.

People are overreacting to one game, and forgetting how bad the offense looked early last season and honestly every year in week 1. If we had played Fairfield in week 1 last year, we would have lost. Lets see how it all plays out. 

We have plenty of skill players on offense, and a very good defense. I AM concerned about the Line, but theres nothing gonna change that. Most of our players look like LB's or DB's. It is what it is. Coaches need to find a way to get those skill guys some protection

I would agree with this assessment.  For those thinking it was a passing of the torch I'm not so sure, but time will tell.  I know many GMC fans thought the same after Colerain lost to Middletown back in 2008 after winning 61 straight GMC games.  And that never happen.  They got right back to it the next week and built an even longer winning streak.  And if it means the dawn of a more competitive GMC, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

The offense never looks very good in week 1.  They have had plenty of offenses that were very good at the end of the season look VERY pedestrian in week 1.  And in a normal year that is with 2-3 scrimmages and multiple 7 on 7's over the summer.  Neither of which they had this year.  Last year it took until week 8 or 9 before the offense was truly clicking. 

As you said with your example of Fairfield last year, if they had to play their toughest GMC game in week 1 every year there is no way the streak would have ever lasted as long as it did. 

I think Friday was honestly just the perfect storm.  Good opponent, former coach who is familiar with the system, lack of preseason work, week 1, etc. 

The lack of size on the OL is a legitimate concern.  The line has been on the smaller side for awhile now, but this years is even smaller than normal.

I will be interested to see what changes are made this week.

• Like 1