Anyone know a neurosurgeon?

ChimpGrip

Has anyone here ever known one? Or know one? I find their job fascinating, and they are rightfully royally compensated for it. I would love to be able to talk to one and see how they think and solve complex problems. As well as their personal finance habits (to learn, not pry). 

At one time I wanted to be a NS, but I didn’t think I had the stamina to endure years of stress in school and training. You have to really “want it” otherwise you will burn out. Furthermore, from what I understand you can’t even pick your speciality upon completion of medical school. Please correct me if I’m wrong. 

5 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Has anyone here ever known one? Or know one? I find their job fascinating, and they are rightfully royally compensated for it. I would love to be able to talk to one and see how they think and solve complex problems. As well as their personal finance habits (to learn, not pry). 

At one time I wanted to be a NS, but I didn’t think I had the stamina to endure years of stress in school and training. You have to really “want it” otherwise you will burn out. Furthermore, from what I understand you can’t even pick your speciality upon completion of medical school. Please correct me if I’m wrong. 

I know a few neurosurgeons in South Carolina.  I am sure it is an intense field.  Some problems have dismal prognoses such as brain bleeds and tumors.  But aneurysms, AVMs, pituitary work can turn out well in the hands of a good surgeon.  A lot of neurosurgery is back and neck surgery.  You can pick your own field, but have to be accepted into a training program.  Some are highly competitive to get in to.  Neurosurgery can entail a lot of training - first general surgery training and then neurosurgery.  Probably around 7 years after medical school.  A lot of delayed gratification.  The short career necessitates the good compensation.

14 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

I know one.

d1d012c9a1c360a68f7785fc3a74829e--political-campaign-political-satire.jpg

18 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

You ever thought about being a Big Foot Tracker?......

13 hours ago, Bormio said:

I know a few neurosurgeons in South Carolina.  I am sure it is an intense field.  Some problems have dismal prognoses such as brain bleeds and tumors.  But aneurysms, AVMs, pituitary work can turn out well in the hands of a good surgeon.  A lot of neurosurgery is back and neck surgery.  You can pick your own field, but have to be accepted into a training program.  Some are highly competitive to get in to.  Neurosurgery can entail a lot of training - first general surgery training and then neurosurgery.  Probably around 7 years after medical school.  A lot of delayed gratification.  The short career necessitates the good compensation.

Eldest just started her M2 year, and is looking at either Neurology or Neurosurgery.

19 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Friend of over 12 years started towards neurosurgery, but eventually settled in with forensic psychiatry. His wife started the same way, before moving to working as an emergency medicine doctor.

Trust me man, just because someone has incredible levels of intelligence and skill at something pretty extraordinary - does not mean they are all that skilled at other facets of life. I've helped my friend more with finances/investment, buying his house, and any number of common sense/ day-to-day necessities that you would assume someone brilliant like him would not need help with - and my work history is not specializing in any of that. His wife's cool, but he's a dearth of common sense.

If the problem is someone got hit by a car and shattered their fibula, then yes, he can give you a great run down of his thought process on helping them.

If it's anything else, he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Not saying that's the rule, but don't assume someone with incredible capabilities in their field is going to be anything more than just that. - The Ben Carson example above is spot on; brilliant doctor, legendary idiot outside of the operating room.

• Like 1