Question for fireman 🚒 or someone who’s dealt with commercial fire 🔥

imaGoodBoyNow

5 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I’m interested in starting a fire watch LLC on the side

@CCBlackhatter have you heard of fire watch

if anyone has heard of it and wouldn’t mind explaining what exactly it is thatd be great

We use fire watch on plenty of construction projects that have work in place.   Mostly when we have projects in schools.  Not sure what NYC DOB code it falls under but certain jobs require it.  It really isn't anything.  You mostly staff people for being in the building overnight when construction is taking place.  

Now if you are taking about Fire Code Consulting services, that is a whole different ballgame.  You will need to have extensive knowledge of Fire Alarm and Egress codes.  Mostly ex Firefighter Chiefs and others run these companies in conjunction with expeditors and construction code consultants.  That is where there is more money.

Problem with just having a fire watch without a code consulting arm to your business is that it will be hard to compete with guys who have both.  Why would somebody pay you separately to have some guy sit in an empty building instead of using the company who is already navigating the hard part?  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

We use fire watch on plenty of construction projects that have work in place.   Mostly when we have projects in schools.  Not sure what NYC DOB code it falls under but certain jobs require it.  It really isn't anything.  You mostly staff people for being in the building overnight when construction is taking place.  

Now if you are taking about Fire Code Consulting services, that is a whole different ballgame.  You will need to have extensive knowledge of Fire Alarm and Egress codes.  Mostly ex Firefighter Chiefs and others run these companies in conjunction with expeditors and construction code consultants.  That is where there is more money.

Problem with just having a fire watch without a code consulting arm to your business is that it will be hard to compete with guys who have both.  Why would somebody pay you separately to have some guy sit in an empty building instead of using the company who is already navigating the hard part?  

That’s why I wanna start the business, I have done firewatch where a storage faucility broke a sprinkler and the sprinkler system was so out of date, everything needed replaced, I was working 16 hour shifts 7 days a week , 112 hours a week  to watch a wall overnight and make sure it doesn’t catch fire

I just thought it’s something easy where I don’t need tools equipment or vehicles, just hire reliable laborers that won’t fall  asleep or set the building on fire smoking cigarettes 

charge the building or company like $30-$35 an hour per person and pay laborers like 18 an hour, but you make it sound so much complicated with codes and what not

17 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I just thought it’s something easy where I don’t need tools equipment or vehicles, just hire reliable laborers that won’t fall  asleep or set the building on fire smoking cigarettes 

charge the building or company like $30-$35 an hour per person and pay laborers like 18 an hour, but you make it sound so much complicated with codes and what not

I mean you are correct, that is all you need to start the fire watch business.  But I just think you will have a hard time getting on any jobs without the the code consulting business.  Usually the guys that get the most work have both going on, so that they deal with the code consulting and expediting, and then throws some guy to stare at the wall overnight.  Also, not all construction jobs require fire watch, so the work is already limited.

21 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

That’s why I wanna start the business, I have done firewatch where a storage faucility broke a sprinkler and the sprinkler system was so out of date, everything needed replaced, I was working 16 hour shifts 7 days a week , 112 hours a week  to watch a wall overnight and make sure it doesn’t catch fire

Better than watching your "grass" grow as you referred to earlier.

3 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Dead ass if Dusty can own 40 businesses so can anybody 

21BE4235-2C23-44EA-AC51-2017103326A6.jpeg

Get yourself a warehouse somewhere cheap and try doing Estate Clean outs. You can stack a warehouse with decent funiture and stuff and rent it out to home stagers/realitors for cheap or just sale it on market place. Estate companies are looking for good clean out people and even pay them to haul good stuff away. You can hire low wage workers to do a lot of the hard labor. 

Draw back is that most companies want all the stuff gone and there can be some nasty stuff to haul to the dump. We pay our clean out guys to haul Hundreds of dollars worth of stuff away. It's not uncommon to find hidden money or jewerly in house clean outs. Just need a large truck and trailer for hauling. Must be able to do a small clean out in 1 to 2 days, a large warehouse in a week depending on the size and stuff. Also need some start out cash to pay your labor. 

Advertise "Will do clean outs cheap" and pick your jobs.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Get yourself a warehouse somewhere cheap and try doing Estate Clean outs. You can stack a warehouse with decent funiture and stuff and rent it out to home stagers/realitors for cheap or just sale it on market place. Estate companies are looking for good clean out people and even pay them to haul good stuff away. You can hire low wage workers to do a lot of the hard labor. 

Draw back is that most companies want all the stuff gone and there can be some nasty stuff to haul to the dump. We pay our clean out guys to haul Hundreds of dollars worth of stuff away. It's not uncommon to find hidden money or jewerly in house clean outs. Just need a large truck and trailer for hauling. Must be able to do a small clean out in 1 to 2 days, a large warehouse in a week depending on the size and stuff. Also need some start out cash to pay your labor. 

I do estate Cleanouts for a bank but there’s no work since there’s no foreclosures, but they pay pretty good, $30 per CYD of Debris so filling a 30 yard dumpster nets me $900 and filling a 40 yard dumpster Is a $1200 payout, which I can fill a 40 yard dumpster in like 4 hours by my self 

also make a killing in hazardous waste removal with them as well

4A595FC6-EB2E-4ABF-B98C-FEA5FDDEFF8D.jpeg

25DB0F7D-D6E1-4CBE-BFD8-468AEF33F7E7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

If I can find land local I’d love to get a shipping container or 2 to store the furniture and items till I can resell 

@Cossacks I messaged the DEP yo see what it takes to open up a transfer yard where contractors and residents can drop of debris and metal into my dumpster 

56 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

If I can find land local I’d love to get a shipping container or 2 to store the furniture and items till I can resell 

@Cossacks I messaged the DEP yo see what it takes to open up a transfer yard where contractors and residents can drop of debris and metal into my dumpster 

Do you look into government surplus at all?

At work we use DRMO/1033 program all the time. We’ve gotten several conex and cargo boxes to store stuff for nothing. That program is restricted, but this is something similar. Govt is always looking to give shit away. You just have  to put in the time, research and effort, but you can find some great deals.

https://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/search.ips