Question for the Board?

old_e

Someone out there must have experienced or know the answer. 

A buddy of mine had a Restoration company do some clean up and dry out at his  house. Since they also do construction, he was going to hire them to fix the damages to his  home. However, after seeing the company's work ethics and the lack of communication from the project manager, he opted to hire some else for the construction. 

Now, the Restoration company that did the clean out refuses to send an invoice to my friends insurance company so that they can pay them. The insurance company informed my buddy that there is a stature of limitations for them to pay that company. If the company doesn't comply with the invoice within a year of when the claim opened, he will be responsible for paying that company. 

I think the Restoration company is just sore that they lost the job and now is adamant of having my buddy pay for the job. 

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

26 minutes ago, old_e said:

A buddy of mine had a Restoration company do some clean up and dry out at his  house. Since they also do construction, he was going to hire them to fix the damages to his  home. However, after seeing the company's work ethics and the lack of communication from the project manager, he opted to hire some else for the construction. 

Now, the Restoration company that did the clean out refuses to send an invoice to my friends insurance company so that they can pay them. The insurance company informed my buddy that there is a stature of limitations for them to pay that company. If the company doesn't comply with the invoice within a year of when the claim opened, he will be responsible for paying that company. 

I think the Restoration company is just sore that they lost the job and now is adamant of having my buddy pay for the job. 

Have him file a BBB complaint and an AG complaint against the company refusing to provide invoices. I would also go to ripoff.com and file a complaint

• Like 2

8 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Have him file a BBB complaint and an AG complaint against the company refusing to provide invoices. I would also go to ripoff.com and file a complaint

Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely forward this to my friend. What is AG?

9 hours ago, old_e said:

What do you mean refusing to send an invoice? Did they say something or is it just slow going on the billing? A lot of mom and pops companies are slow about invoicing. 

Usually, the best practice would have been to let the insurance company choose the restoration company as they have certain ones they deal with day to day, but that's neither here nor there now. 

In the state of Georgia, the Secretary of State's office would be the best place to lodge a complaint against a contractor as that's where the licenses are issued through. I'd find out what entity issues licenses for contractors like the restoration company and start there. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cossacks said:

How did he pay? Under the table cash might be a bit more SOL. But a check, AMEX/CC hell even a PWT money order and he would have proof of payment which he could provide the insurance company.

The Restoration company has not been paid as they are unwilling to provide an invoice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, old_e said:

As an insurance claims guy who used to be an adjuster and now works in the legal department I cannot see the company not paying an invoice that was incurred in a covered claim as long as the work was completed in compliance with the policy. I'd like to see the policy that has such a provision.

If your friend will photo copy the dec page and policy and send it to you (with the personal information redacted) I wouldnt mind taking a look at it.

35 minutes ago, old_e said:

The Restoration company has not been paid as they are unwilling to provide an invoice.

They probably are dragging him on purpose, to screw him out of the insurance payment. It seems like it's hurting them as well because whatever time, equipment and money they invested is yet to be paid for. They likely know the ins and outs of the insurance industry themselves as that's probably the largest chunk of their business.

It's an interesting situation to say the least. I'm not sure they are literally doing anything that he can "hurt them" for. He obviously thinks there is something shady going on, so, he probably needs to try exhausting all efforts before the policy coverage time has elapsed, and even after that if necessary.

I have probably more questions than answers I guess. Like, is this a local company? Is it a nationwide company? Is there a storefront or office that he can go to in person and request the invoices? Was he satisfied with the work they did do? There is a lot of angles to play on here.

In the end, if they let the insurance coverage time for the incident elapse, he could still not pay them, and force them to take him to small claims. Basically do them the same way they have done him. He'll probably have to pay at some point after that though either way. 

Over all, seems like a crappy situation. It's never fun to have to go through anything that comes along with some disaster that requires a restoration company to begin with, but then dealing with one that seems vindictive or inept certainly makes it far worse. Best of luck to the friend and his family on their repairs and this issue,

14 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

They probably are dragging him on purpose, to screw him out of the insurance payment. It seems like it's hurting them as well because whatever time, equipment and money they invested is yet to be paid for. They likely know the ins and outs of the insurance industry themselves as that's probably the largest chunk of their business.

It's an interesting situation to say the least. I'm not sure they are literally doing anything that he can "hurt them" for. He obviously thinks there is something shady going on, so, he probably needs to try exhausting all efforts before the policy coverage time has elapsed, and even after that if necessary.

I have probably more questions than answers I guess. Like, is this a local company? Is it a nationwide company? Is there a storefront or office that he can go to in person and request the invoices? Was he satisfied with the work they did do? There is a lot of angles to play on here.

In the end, if they let the insurance coverage time for the incident elapse, he could still not pay them, and force them to take him to small claims. Basically do them the same way they have done him. He'll probably have to pay at some point after that though either way. 

Over all, seems like a crappy situation. It's never fun to have to go through anything that comes along with some disaster that requires a restoration company to begin with, but then dealing with one that seems vindictive or inept certainly makes it far worse. Best of luck to the friend and his family on their repairs and this issue,

Not a good idea.  The company can file a mechanic's lien against the property and while I don't know if he could lose the house he sure is screwed trying to do *anything* as long as that lien is active.  No refi, no sale of the property, no nothing.  Whenever he does get it settled, he should get a notarized letter from the company stating all work has been paid for and all subcontractors and materials for that job have been paid.