First Ever High School Top 500 Human Poll?

TheRealCAJ

confused0024.gif

We have to start thinking larger.

I believe this would seperate true football states and greater demonstrate a state's true depth.

I can sit here all day and show Top 25-50 teams struggling to beat Top 500-1000 teams almost every week.

Our mindset? Well so and so played poorly, the wind was blowing, it was raining, insert whatever excuse you wish to defend your favorite team being ranked so highly.

Thank you.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I'd rather have a math whiz create an algorithm with our state scaling and playoff boost with nothing up our sleeves.

Ranking 100 is brutal... 500 is insanity.  Let an algorithm crank above 100 but with our "objective" secret sauce.  

If i can make a top 100 Just for Florida then a top 500 for 50 states shouldn't be that hard lol

Well if i have data to compare it to that is

14 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

a top 10 from each state would be 500 teams.....subtract the states that don't have a legit Top 10 and it's really easier than you think.

"If" we had quality reps to handle such a task, go for it... but at some point state scaling off tiered pods of schools will be a sticking point.  

When does the top Oregon team make a debut, or NE or IA or MA... and so on.   Just my 2 cents, but that kind of 500 number requires some quality inclusions and a lot of reviewing and at some point state scaling will be a factor in ranking the teams.    It's a matter of numbers and in a top 500 there would be a bleep load of schools from the power states and possibly even more from a borderline power state in IL (Freeman's 2016 take).   A lot of work.   I just hope we can create a top 100 poll for the board... and I hope GSB adds those rankings on his site :) .  

Pops, can you create an algorithm?  Stanscript?   Another idea is to tinker with an ELO style rating system... if we simply select schools, we can add and subtract with points like a chess rating.   We can set the point criteria and give bonus points for an X amount of pts differential for example and in turn, give x amount of pts bonus points to a weaker foe keeping it close or pulling an upset.    Teams who don't play a school deemed fit to rate, won't increase or decrease.   This way clearly favors sos and if a team like IMG runs the table with 9 quality opponents, chances are they are going to be rated quite highly.   The only scaling in play in the ELO is the points chosen for each game's performance.  If we make the balance to a one and done... we open a MNC option for 100+ teams, if we push the balance too much, we end up with IMG winning with 2 losses perhaps?     

32 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

No computer. It can not account for coaching, transfers, unknown talent, heart or injuries. 

Our algorithm could...  or at least give it a human option ala Jeff Fisher's.   Hybrid poll is my fav actually.  Algorithm with human opinion (weed out a WTF for example).  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Can I/we see your top 25 in FL?   

https://floridahsfootball.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2452-preseason-outlook/&page=1

Last posts on the page i did a top 5 for 1-4a and top 10 for 5-8a and a small school top 25 (1-4a) and big school top 25 (5-8a)

And first week of August I'll be posting preseason top 100 for Florida on there as well :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

https://floridahsfootball.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2452-preseason-outlook/&page=1

Last posts on the page i did a top 5 for 1-4a and top 10 for 5-8a and a small school top 25 (1-4a) and big school top 25 (5-8a)

And first week of August I'll be posting preseason top 100 for Florida on there as well :)

Cool... will check later on.  

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

"If" we had quality reps to handle such a task, go for it... but at some point state scaling off tiered pods of schools will be a sticking point.  

When does the top Oregon team make a debut, or NE or IA or MA... and so on.   Just my 2 cents, but that kind of 500 number requires some quality inclusions and a lot of reviewing and at some point state scaling will be a factor in ranking the teams.    It's a matter of numbers and in a top 500 there would be a bleep load of schools from the power states and possibly even more from a borderline power state in IL (Freeman's 2016 take).   A lot of work.   I just hope we can create a top 100 poll for the board... and I hope GSB adds those rankings on his site :) .  

Pops, can you create an algorithm?  Stanscript?   Another idea is to tinker with an ELO style rating system... if we simply select schools, we can add and subtract with points like a chess rating.   We can set the point criteria and give bonus points for an X amount of pts differential for example and in turn, give x amount of pts bonus points to a weaker foe keeping it close or pulling an upset.    Teams who don't play a school deemed fit to rate, won't increase or decrease.   This way clearly favors sos and if a team like IMG runs the table with 9 quality opponents, chances are they are going to be rated quite highly.   The only scaling in play in the ELO is the points chosen for each game's performance.  If we make the balance to a one and done... we open a MNC option for 100+ teams, if we push the balance too much, we end up with IMG winning with 2 losses perhaps?     

Like this idea I'm on board if you can get it off the ground 

4 hours ago, TheRealCAJ said:

John Curtis can barely beat Jesuit (NOLA)....they have as much business being preseason #12 as Don Bosco being ranked #26 preseason..

14-7 vs Jesuit? Its their style.... while struggling vs Jesuit they also beat Landry-Walker (5A State Champ) by 13, Brother Martin by 17, West Monroe by 14, and Rummel twice by 14 both times. 

Every team, every where has 1 close game vs a team they shouldnt.

12 is definitely high... but your reasoning is rather dumb.

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

You ask Pops or Stanscript and not me?

Neither even knew what state scaling was, and I had to show stanscript the correct way to do the math behind playoff boosts. 

Im fairly insulted.

I can do the math, Id just need some to do the computer work... implementing it so itd continue to play the games over and over using my algorithm until the movement stopped for all teams. Id provide the formula if someone can do the computer part.

Thats also an absolute shitload of work for both parties though... I mean the kind of work we'd want to get paid for... 

If you want the product to be slanted in favor of NorCal and the math to be wrong... then Id say asking Pops & Stan is a great idea! You think I complain about Georgias scale in Neds product... can you imagine Pops? 

3 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Well Caj, here's a solid FL guy...  well above my pay grade.   I can't rank that deep in FL.   I'm lost  in 1A 2A....3A and 4A look fine to me.  USchool has talent, might do pretty well this year.   5A, I think you forgot Bolles.  Any news on the Jones transfers?  Wonder if they are a total team this year or are they having multiple ineligible players?  There was a review going on but I lost track.   Bishop Moore not sure how they look for this year but 9th seems low.   6A, you are colder on Armwood than I am, lol.  That is one nasty class though.  7A is fairly clear.  Interesting take on 8A with Atlantic on top.   8A like last year is surely up for grabs.  I'm not sure Miramar is ready to make a move to the next tier again.  Deerfield Beach imo is better than 7th, but time will tell.  All the players are there.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

You ask Pops or Stanscript and not me?

Neither even knew what state scaling was, and I had to show stanscript the correct way to do the math behind playoff boosts. 

Im fairly insulted.

I can do the math, Id just need some to do the computer work... implementing it so itd continue to play the games over and over using my algorithm until the movement stopped for all teams. Id provide the formula if someone can do the computer part.

Thats also an absolute shitload of work for both parties though... I mean the kind of work we'd want to get paid for... 

No disrespect intended Echs... I was just thinking about Pop's IQ mention and his degrees from universities, I was thinking math SAT scores of a high stature.  Stanscript while not accurate with his two formulas, proved to me his math background seemed stout and has an analytical mindset.  I always felt he was involved with the site in some capacity, but I'm likely wrong.  

I like to analyze but can't fathom creating something like that... no chance.   If you want to give it a go by all means!  I think your ideas would match mine quite smoothly as we both are on the same page it seems with the site overall.  

3 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Well Caj, here's a solid FL guy...  well above my pay grade.   I can't rank that deep in FL.   I'm lost  in 1A 2A....3A and 4A look fine to me.  USchool has talent, might do pretty well this year.   5A, I think you forgot Bolles.  Any news on the Jones transfers?  Wonder if they are a total team this year or are they having multiple ineligible players?  There was a review going on but I lost track.   Bishop Moore not sure how they look for this year but 9th seems low.   6A, you are colder on Armwood than I am, lol.  That is one nasty class though.  7A is fairly clear.  Interesting take on 8A with Atlantic on top.   8A like last year is surely up for grabs.  I'm not sure Miramar is ready to make a move to the next tier again.  Deerfield Beach imo is better than 7th, but time will tell.  All the players are there.  

Bolles was at 10 until i placed Jones in there

I kept jones out bc of pending investigation but honestly that investigation has gone no where in months and no idea when they will finish so until they say something I'll gonna go with what they got which looks good 

I have Bishop Moore as a potential sleeper but i feel if anyone in 5a south a threat to AHP it probably will come from inside their District and cardinal gibbons appears to be solid this season 

In the case of Miramar i get the feeling that Flanagan being down big time it opens the door for Miramar to win their District 

In case of deerfield Beach i was very high on them last year but they underachieved for my expectations so i am hesitant to put them as high this year 

As for Atlantic Delray they may be quiet on national circut but on Florida board we have talked a lot about Atlantic who may low-key be most talented 8a team right now but we will see if it translates to the fall

As for armwood, last year i was really the only one on the Florida board to question their crowning as the best 6a team before last season and my huntch ended up being right when they lost in second round and I'm not gonna jump onto a bandwagon until i see something in armwood that shows me they different this year compared to past years