STA Football Preview/SJB-STA Prediction?

coach_warren

I think the SJB/STA game will be very competitive and close. Both teams very equal in terms of size and talent, and it appears their strength is on the defensive side of the ball not particularly offense.

I think this game will be low-scoring, similar to the Manatee-Don Bosco game where you had two very, very elite defenses neutralizing the opposing teams okay to good offenses. Special teams will also be a big deal that will be overlooked. MD dominated Special teams the first time they met which allowed them to beat SJB. We also know the special teams woes STA faced against DBP the two time they met. Don't know too much about STA's QB, but when SJB was faced against a team with similar or more talent (Bishop and MD) Re-al's QB game got exposed. He struggled a lot, trying to throw the ball and in general just managing the game. He got a lot better as the season went on and SJB decided to just start pounding the rock on teams as their strength and not particular rely on his arm, but people have a legitimate case about if they're not sold on him. I think the key to who wins this game will be down to whoever runs the ball well or not. 

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

On paper, this should be the most competitive OOS game of the 2018 season. STA is 6-3 in OOS games since 2010:

Wins: Skyline, Camden County, Prattville, DLS, JCC, Bingham

Losses: DBP x2, BG

Playing a super elite like BG last season was the best preparation for a game of this magnitude. Plus the game is home. I say STA 28-21 giving them their best OOS win ever. 

Me too. I think this game has the potential and magnitude to be the 2018 OOS game of the year. I think SJB will pull through and edge STA 20-17, the SJB transfers will be too much for STA. ;)

10 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Transfers normally don't win OOS games. Especially so early in the season. Everyone thought the same in STA/DBP2. The result was disastrous. 

I'm still pulling through and think SJB takes it, I think in SJBs case they are not a team fielded with transfers who hardly know each other but a lot of missing components filled with key transfers. Most of the starters for SJB this year have been with the program since freshman year or were at SJB 2+ years. They play really well as a unit.

IMO, I don't think the West Coast or California in general have been fairly represented in OOS games. DLS has been the flag bearer and they just are terrible in OOS games and BG has been the MNC for 3 years running, due to proximity BG has been playing and beating West Coast powers making light work of them. We have seen Florida 4A Champions (Cocoa), D-1 New Jersey State Champions, (Don Bosco), Florida 7A Champions (STA) all fall under the Bishop. It's not a matter of location, just that BG has beaten whoever they put in front of.

Elite Cali teams like SJB 2013, CC 2015, SJB 2015, Folsom 2014, etc have not been given their chance to shine in a big OOS game because, well they weren't presented with one. SJB 17 and MD 17, both projected to be elite Cali teams and the opportunity to flex their muscle I believe will showcase some fireworks. IMO!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

It's really a tough game to prognosticate. Both squads have so much going for them. For me, last year's game at BG proved that STAs execution/coaching is no longer a hindrance like in the two feeble DBP losses. In games like these, I'll always side with the home team as a tie breaker. Because it's so early in the season, it could be a defensive battle, but with all the offensive talent on the field, I doubt it. 

Makes you really wonder wtf Rocco Casullo was doing with STA, especially when they had the Bosas on both teams. I heard he couldn't control the egos? 

The BG-STA game was a defensive battle, but both teams were loaded with D-1 offensive studs. Tyjon, Tate, Grimes, Moore, etc...but the score was actually 10-10 except that weird OT rule set up at each others 20 yard line made it 23-22.

HSFB fans are in for a treat though man, so happy with all these games. I hope ESPN chooses to televise some more games later throughout the month

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

On paper, this should be the most competitive OOS game of the 2018 season. STA is 6-3 in OOS games since 2010:

Wins: Skyline, Camden County, Prattville, DLS, JCC, Bingham

Losses: DBP x2, BG

Playing a super elite like BG last season was the best preparation for a game of this magnitude. Plus the game is home. I say STA 28-21 giving them their best OOS win ever. 

That's a good assessment. It's a tough one to call since it's in Florida. I would definitely take that silly 5Dimes spread of -11 (if it's still -11). I say a 3 point nail biter that could go either way. 

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

New born coming

oh, congrats buddy. thought you mean engagement as in like behavior in a football game, which is why you were banned from traveling with SJB..lol

Have you watched CC yet and who do you think is the 4th best team in Socal? I'm a huge fan of Chaminade this season and Poly/MV looking nice too

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

Key to the game,  QB play.  Mitchell  isn't beating STA if he's forced to throw the ball. 

I haven't seen a STA QB in awhile that would scare me. 

One or two big plays will win the game

STA's secondaries are nasty. Easily the best DB core in the nation...nobody is throwing over them