Colquitt County makes a huge hire ....

67packer

1 minute ago, 67packer said:

They snagged former Colquitt OC Sean Calhoun fresh off leading Vestavia Hills in Alabama to a sterling 4-6 record.

Welcome back to Colquitt coach!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/high-school-sports-blog/colquitt-county-hires-former-carrollton-football-coach-calhoun/UM6L33VP2RCEFMX3Z4YKSF25KA/%3foutputType=amp

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 67packer said:

They snagged former Colquitt OC Sean Calhoun fresh off leading Vestavia Hills in Alabama to a sterling 4-6 record.

Welcome back to Colquitt coach!

I like Sean. He's a great offensive mind, albeit, not yet a proven winner as head coach. 

I think he was 53 and 12 or something like that at Carrolton over a period of 5 seasons. No chips. Just never got over the hump there. 

Well liked and respected around Norman Park though, so, this could be his time to shine. 

He came into Vestavia Hills behind a coach that had been there for 43 years and was something like 386 and 540 over that span running a power I offense. Tough to bring the spread in in one year like that, so I'm not gonna hate on his Vestavia Hills record. Moreso looking at the 13 games played per year average at Carrolton. 

Bring on the Calhoun era. If he gets the talent back on the team from our hallways and streets, it could be a *in my beat Bishop Sycamore coach voice* a muhfuckin stick up! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I like Sean. He's a great offensive mind, albeit, not yet a proven winner as head coach. 

I think he was 53 and 12 or something like that at Carrolton over a period of 5 seasons. No chips. Just never got over the hump there. 

Well liked and respected around Norman Park though, so, this could be his time to shine. 

He came into Vestavia Hills behind a coach that had been there for 43 years and was something like 386 and 540 over that span running a power I offense. Tough to bring the spread in in one year like that, so I'm not gonna hate on his Vestavia Hills record. Moreso looking at the 13 games played per year average at Carrolton. 

Bring on the Calhoun era. If he gets the talent back on the team from our hallways and streets, it could be a *in my beat Bishop Sycamore coach voice* a muhfuckin stick up! 

He was fighting a battle of doing it they way Buddy did. Buddy refused to even do 7 on 7 camps. Only Birmingham school to never play in the Hoover 7 on 7. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HooverOutlaw said:

He was fighting a battle of doing it they way Buddy did. Buddy refused to even do 7 on 7 camps. Only Birmingham school to never play in the Hoover 7 on 7. 

Same kind of deal as Justin ran into here with coming behind Rush. 

When you come in behind a proven winner, making a wholesale change isn't advisable imo. I think having read articles about Calhoun's Vestavia Hills plan, he was slowly going to install the spread, starting with a hybrid system last season. I think that's a much tougher gig than what Justin has here. Justin had a corvette to jump into but he lost the horsepower and downforce by not just firing the same engine back up. 

Calhoun probably realized it wasn't going to be biscuits n gravy at Vestavia Hills and had this opening as a quick out. 

32 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Well..... 67, you got a Bama coach albeit one season, is it gonna work?

bgw

The last Alabama coach we had did very well. Much better than the Florida or Georgia coaches we've had since 2000.

Honestly though he's not the Alabama coach I was hoping for. I thought we had a shot at Mark Freeman. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 67packer said:

The last Alabama coach we had did very well. Much better than the Florida or Georgia coaches we've had since 2000.

Honestly though he's not the Alabama coach I was hoping for. I thought we had a shot at Mark Freeman. 

I guess we'll get to hear Sean tell us that Colquitt was always his dream job at the next Meet The Pack Banquet. 😂

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Same kind of deal as Justin ran into here with coming behind Rush. 

When you come in behind a proven winner, making a wholesale change isn't advisable imo. I think having read articles about Calhoun's Vestavia Hills plan, he was slowly going to install the spread, starting with a hybrid system last season. I think that's a much tougher gig than what Justin has here. Justin had a corvette to jump into but he lost the horsepower and downforce by not just firing the same engine back up. 

Calhoun probably realized it wasn't going to be biscuits n gravy at Vestavia Hills and had this opening as a quick out. 

A lack of talent too. Vestavia has been past by Thompson and Hewitt and Oak Mountain. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I guess we'll get to hear Sean tell us that Colquitt was always his dream job at the next Meet The Pack Banquet. 😂

lol. I think there's a form speech written somewhere for all new coaches to use. 

If he uses it at the banquet I may spit up my shrimp since he turned us down in 2019. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 67packer said:

lol. I think there's a form speech written somewhere for all new coaches to use. 

If he uses it at the banquet I may spit up my shrimp since he turned us down in 2019. 🤣

If you remember...Sean told us YES...then called us the following morning and said he'd had a change of heart.

Rufus>>

• Like 2

Just now, 67packer said:

That's what I was thinking too. 

I guess as I've gotten more knowledgeable about the workings of all that I've gotten much more cynical about the smoke show. Hahaha

• Like 1

Just now, Rufus69 said:

All of this is for naught if they don't clean house....

Rufus>>

I'm very hopeful they push out a few people. I do think there is some that could stay and be good, but, they probably aren't the ones that we'll see kept on. The one's that will be kept will be the smug and comfy ones that are so good at playing politics in the athletic dept.

They stir the pot behind the scenes but smile at everyone in the building. 

• Like 2

Just now, Rufus69 said:

Sean's offenses in 2014-2015 scored 687 and 700 points respectively.

Colquitt's offenses in 2019-2021 scored 403, 407 and 426 respectively.

Sean can score points...but if we don't change our practice and defensive philosophy...

Rufus>>

I believe we'll see somewhat of a return to our practice philosophy from back then. Hopefully all the way around. Style and time investment. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Sean's offenses in 2014-2015 scored 687 and 700 points respectively.

Colquitt's offenses in 2019-2021 scored 403, 407 and 426 respectively.

Sean can score points...but if we don't change our practice and defensive philosophy...

Rufus>>

I hope he'll make an attempt to get Sutton and Bennett to come join him. Also I heard that Rowell who was our DC back then was let go at Georgia Southern and could be interested in coming back.

• Like 2