3A
Phoebus 42 Lake Taylor 16
Heritage-Lynchburg 22 Liberty Christian 17

Maryland

4A
Flowers 20 Wise 13

DCSAA Class AA Semifinal: Friendship Collegiate 27 Archbishop Carroll 14

DCSAA Class A Final: Coolidge 37 Maret 8

6A Freedom Woodbridge was held to 53.  Literally the first time since September 15th they have been held under 60 points.

Note that they played Stone Bridge on 9/8 and won 36-15.  Stone Bridge is in the 5A semifinals and won this weekend 42-0.  They are 12-1 with the only loss to Freedom Woodbridge.  Next week Stone Bridge plays 13-0 Highland Springs.

1 hour ago, BigDrop said:

6A Freedom Woodbridge was held to 53.  Literally the first time since September 15th they have been held under 60 points.

Note that they played Stone Bridge on 9/8 and won 36-15.  Stone Bridge is in the 5A semifinals and won this weekend 42-0.  They are 12-1 with the only loss to Freedom Woodbridge.  Next week Stone Bridge plays 13-0 Highland Springs.

The 53 points was enough to give Freedom the state season scoring record. The old mark was shared between the Ronald Curry Hampton team and Manchester's 2018 team, which crushed Freedom in the championship game. The QB, who is a first-year starter, has now thrown 54 touchdown passes which ties the state record. Their main skill position players are all underclassmen.

Stone Bridge has gotten better since September. After the Freedom game they started giving their top receiver a lot of time at QB and he has double-digit touchdowns both passing and rushing. They are heavy underdogs against Highland Springs though. Against Mountain View SB benefitted from MV's star running back (Syracuse commit Ike Daniels) being out injured.

It'll be interesting to see how Freedom fares against a Western Branch team that held Oscar Smith in check twice this year. WB was 0-10 in 2018 but a new coach turned things around the last couple years. Western Branch and Fairfax would have been one of the most improbable championship matchups you could have come up with a couple years ago and now it is a possibility.

• Thanks 1

I am extremely fortunate that I had a good friend in ‘96 who was close to Mike Smith, Coach of Hampton.  Because of him I was able to stand on Hampton’s sideline and watch Ronald Curry perform, literally a few feet away.  I later briefly met him in their locker room.

I believe that in my 75 years with extensive national game visitation Curry was the best hs qb I have ever seen.  I also thought that the Hampton team, in his jr year, was one of the two best hs teams I ever saw (‘80 Moeller under Faust was the other).

Now, 26 years later I am extremely fortunate to have had that Hampton/Ronald Curry experience.

’96 Hampton outscored their opponents 811-97 in 14 games.  That’s an average of 58-7 for the 14 game season.  

That is Freedom Woodbridge’s goal.  Through 13 games they are 794-120.  61-9 is their average score.

• Like 3

This is the absolutely sensational video of the complete VA state semifinal game between Hampton and 11-1 James Madison.

Hampton won.  76-14.

Fantastic, complete video with extensive comments about ‘96 Hampton and Ronald Curry.  (Who today is in his mid 40’s! and maybe will read this.)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

This is the absolutely sensational video of the complete VA state semifinal game between Hampton and 11-1 James Madison.

Hampton won.  76-14.

Fantastic, complete video with extensive comments about ‘96 Hampton and Ronald Curry.  (Who today is in his mid 40’s! and maybe will read this.)

I wonder if the Freedom Woodbridge coach has seen this?

On 11/27/2022 at 7:53 PM, BigDrop said:

I am extremely fortunate that I had a good friend in ‘96 who was close to Mike Smith, Coach of Hampton.  Because of him I was able to stand on Hampton’s sideline and watch Ronald Curry perform, literally a few feet away.  I later briefly met him in their locker room.

I believe that in my 75 years with extensive national game visitation Curry was the best hs qb I have ever seen.  I also thought that the Hampton team, in his jr year, was one of the two best hs teams I ever saw (‘80 Moeller under Faust was the other).

Now, 26 years later I am extremely fortunate to have had that Hampton/Ronald Curry experience.

’96 Hampton outscored their opponents 811-97 in 14 games.  That’s an average of 58-7 for the 14 game season.  

That is Freedom Woodbridge’s goal.  Through 13 games they are 794-120.  61-9 is their average score.

Those Curry led teams were special and I also had the opportunity to see him live.  We've had our share of great athletes come out of VA, but Curry's teams were the most dominant, especially the '96 team.  I believe he was the top recruit in football and basketball his senior year, although I think football was his better sport.  

• Like 1

MD Finals start tomorrow night, should be streamed on NFHS. The Thursday night game is the clear marquee matchup.

Thursday 12/1

7:00 Class 4A: CH Flowers (13-0) vs. Quince Orchard (13-0)--Flowers finally took down Wise, now they face the other dominant large-school program in the state.

Friday 12/2

4:00 Class 2A: Milford Mill (13-0) vs. Kent Island (12-1)--Milford Mill needed a last-minute score in the semifinals to keep their perfect season alive. Their QB played for MSJ last year.

7:30 Class 4A/3A: Arundel (10-2) vs. North Point (10-3)--North Point has won all four of their playoff games by shutout. Arundel got crushed by SFA during the regular season.

Saturday 12/3

12:00 Class 2A/1A: Dunbar (12-0) vs. Patuxent (11-2)--Dunbar breezed to the championship last year, and consensus is that they own the division, but Patuxent did beat North Point during the regular season.

3:30 Class 1A: Mountain Ridge (12-0) vs. Fort Hill (12-1)--Two Western Maryland teams making the trip to Annapolis, no one else in the division is within 30 points of them and that seems unlikely to change in the near future. Fort Hill the historically dominant program but Mountain Ridge won the regular season matchup 30-8.

7:00 Class 3A: Damascus (11-1) vs. Oakdale (11-2)--Oakdale maybe written off after getting routed by Fort Hill and Frederick in the regular season, but they avenged the Frederick loss on the way to the finals. Damascus looking to win their fifth state championship since 2015.

• Thanks 2

12/3

Maryland

Class 1A/2A Final: Dunbar 22 Patuxent 13

Class 1A Final: Fort Hill 16 Mountain Ridge 14 (FH makes a field goal at the buzzer. Kicker had missed a FG earlier in the fourth quarter)

Class 3A: Damascus 21 Oakdale 14

DC

Class AA: Friendship Collegiate 19 Roosevelt 14

Virginia (semifinals)

6A

Freedom-Woodbridge 69 Western Branch 14

Madison 31 Fairfax 21

Freedom passes their test with flying colors. QB was 13-13 for 338 yards and five touchdowns. Given the Hampton comparisons it's funny that they're playing Madison in the final. Madison lost a lot from last year's runners-up but have won eleven straight after starting 0-3.

5A

Highland Springs 19 Stone Bridge 14

Maury 21 Green Run 14

Highland Springs was up 19-0 before Stone Bridge made a push in the fourth. Maury will be looking to avenge semifinal loses to the Springers in 2018 and Spring 2021, as well as last year's championship loss to Stone Bridge.

4A

Dinwiddie 28 Warwick 0

Kettle Run 30 EC Glass 14

Feeling is that the Dinwiddie-King George game last week may have decided the championship, but Kettle Run had an impressive win down in Lynchburg to reach the finals for the first time.

3A

Phoebus 58 Brentsville 14

Heritage-Lynchburg 43 Christiansburg 0

Favorites with the expected blowout wins, setting up a rematch of the 2018 final won by Heritage.

2A

Central-Woodstock 37 Poquoson 10

Graham 36 Appomattox 20

Central in the finals for the first time; Graham is there for the third time in the last six seasons.

1A

Riverheads 21 Essex 8

George Wythe 35 Grundy 12

Riverheads beats Essex in the semifinals for the fifth time in six years...the only time they didn't meet was Spring 2021 when Essex didn't field a team. Fortunately for Essex this is the last year in Class 1 for Riverheads, who will be favored to take their seventh straight championship next weekend.

• Thanks 2

On 12/3/2022 at 11:02 PM, MA Fan said:

12/3

Maryland

Class 1A/2A Final: Dunbar 22 Patuxent 13

Class 1A Final: Fort Hill 16 Mountain Ridge 14 (FH makes a field goal at the buzzer. Kicker had missed an XP and FG earlier in the fourth quarter)

Class 3A: Damascus 21 Oakdale 14

DC

Class AA: Friendship Collegiate 19 Roosevelt 14

Virginia (semifinals)

6A

Freedom-Woodbridge 69 Western Branch 14

Madison 31 Fairfax 21

Freedom passes their test with flying colors. QB was 13-13 for 338 yards and five touchdowns. Given the Hampton comparisons it's funny that they're playing Madison in the final. Madison lost a lot from last year's runners-up but have won eleven straight after starting 0-3.

5A

Highland Springs 19 Stone Bridge 14

Maury 21 Green Run 14

Highland Springs was up 19-0 before Stone Bridge made a push in the fourth. Maury will be looking to avenge semifinal loses to the Springers in 2018 and Spring 2021, as well as last year's championship loss to Stone Bridge.

4A

Dinwiddie 28 Warwick 0

Kettle Run 30 EC Glass 14

Feeling is that the Dinwiddie-King George game last week may have decided the championship, but Kettle Run had an impressive win down in Lynchburg to reach the finals for the first time.

3A

Phoebus 58 Brentsville 14

Heritage-Lynchburg 43 Christiansburg 0

Favorites with the expected blowout wins, setting up a rematch of the 2018 final won by Heritage.

2A

Central-Woodstock 37 Poquoson 10

Graham 36 Appomattox 20

Central in the finals for the first time; Graham is there for the third time in the last six seasons.

1A

Riverheads 21 Essex 8

George Wythe 35 Grundy 12

Riverheads beats Essex in the semifinals for the fifth time in six years...the only time they didn't meet was Spring 2021 when Essex didn't field a team. Fortunately for Essex this is the last year in Class 1 for Riverheads, who will be favored to take their seventh straight championship next weekend.

Fort Hill's kicker did not miss an extra point. On the try, Mountain Ridge jumped off side and Fort Hill decided to go for two after the penalty was marked off. Runner was ruled down though it appeared he stretched the ball across the goal before touching the turf. And the missed FG would have been good with High School goal posts. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Waggle Pass said:

Fort Hill's kicker did not miss an extra point. On the try, Mountain Ridge jumped off side and Fort Hill decided to go for two after the penalty was marked off. Runner was ruled down though it appeared he stretched the ball across the goal before touching the turf. And the missed FG would have been good with High School goal posts. 

Thanks, I corrected the post.

VA Championships on Saturday, should be on NFHS:

12:00 Games

Division 5: Highland Springs (14-0) vs. Maury (10-1)--Probably the best matchup of the day. HS has been the consensus top team in the state all year, although Freedom has probably caught up. Maury feels a little overlooked even though they almost won the championship last year and their only loss was a one-score game against New Bern NC who are undefeated and playing for the NC championship this weekend.

Division 3: Phoebus (14-0) vs. Heritage-Lynchburg (12-2)--Rematch of 2018 final won by Heritage. Probably the best Phoebus team in a while but Heritage does have the advantage of playing the game in Lynchburg, in the same stadium where they upset Liberty Christian a few weeks ago.

Division 1: Riverheads (11-1) vs. George Wythe (10-3)--Riverheads looking to make it seven straight before moving up a class next season. George Wythe in the final for the first time since 2012. 

4:30 Games

Division 6: Freedom-Woodbridge (14-0) vs. Madison (11-3)--Can't see Madison stopping Freedom.

Division 4: Dinwiddie (14-0) vs. Kettle Run (14-0)--Dinwiddie has been heavy favorites in this division all year. Kettle Run comes out of a traditionally solid region, perhaps being disrespected?

Division 2: Graham (14-0) vs. Central-Woodstock (12-2)--Graham with a lot more playoff pedigree is favored here. Central avenged both of their losses in the playoffs.

12/10 the end

VA Finals

Division 6: Freedom-Woodbridge 48 Madison 14--Madison actually played pretty well here, putting together some clock-eating drives and limiting Freedom's big plays, but tough to actually get stops. Controversial call potentially stopped Madison from scoring early in the fourth when it was 35-14, but very unlikely it would have changed the outcome.

Division 5: Highland Springs 33 Maury 19

Division 4: Dinwiddie 65 Kettle Run 20

Division 3: Phoebus 48 Heritage-Lynchburg 7

Division 2: Graham 34 Central-Woodstock 7

Division 1: Riverheads 49 George Wythe 27

No close games...with dominant champions in the top four divisions maybe they can extend the season two more weeks to determine a true champion. Highland Springs, Phoebus, and Riverheads all moving up a division next year should shake things up.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

12/10 the end

VA Finals

Division 6: Freedom-Woodbridge 48 Madison 14--Madison actually played pretty well here, putting together some clock-eating drives and limiting Freedom's big plays, but tough to actually get stops. Controversial call potentially stopped Madison from scoring early in the fourth when it was 35-14, but very unlikely it would have changed the outcome.

Division 5: Highland Springs 33 Maury 19

Division 4: Dinwiddie 65 Kettle Run 20

Division 3: Phoebus 48 Heritage-Lynchburg 7

Division 2: Graham 34 Central-Woodstock 7

Division 1: Riverheads 49 George Wythe 27

No close games...with dominant champions in the top two divisions maybe they can extend the season two more weeks to determine a true champion. Highland Springs, Phoebus, and Riverheads all moving up a division next year should shake things up.

‘96 Hampton won their state championship game 51-0 which is linked above.  

12/10 hoops DMV capturing all the bridges

John Marshall 69 DeMatha 62

PVI 87 MSJ 52

Gonzaga 78 St. Raymond's 73

Jackson-Reed 55 Roman Catholic 53

SJC 65 Patrick School 40

Sidwell Friends 53 Whitney Young 52

Sidwell girls 61 South Grand Prairie TX 49

PVI girls 39 STA 36

DeMatha gotta make some shots:

FjqqQF9XkAApMDa?format=jpg&name=900x900

• 3 weeks later...