After MD BG. How good are they?

Gospeeder

Been to a lot of games over the years and every so often there is one that stands out. ( MD/DLS 98 for example ). What made this game interesting was what I would describe as side stories that ended up making it compelling entertainment. Things that are easily observed better at the game than on TV.

One of those observations is just how good the MD linebackers are. Their lateral movement and quickness were among the best I have ever observed at the HS level. They are athletic and just flat out good.

Another is just how good their offense may really be. They spent a noticeable number of plays using the quick wide out and relying on the receiver's athletic ability to work free. IMO. those quick outs did not work very well. BG's defensive backs and linebackers usually stopped them for little gain. I'm not sure why they focused in that direction as it was, at least against BG the weakest part of their game plan. One can only imagine how good this offense will be when St Brown gets back and they really exploit their ability to execute the mid to long passing game which will really open up what is an already good running game.

A third observation is just how good Cedric Tillman is. If it were not for him ( and Thompson-robinson's ability to scramble and run ) this could have been relegated to just another game as the score would have been worse. Watching him work is entertaining as hell, especially when BG takes advantage of his incredible vertical lift which MD had a difficult time dealing with. This kid is a double D1.

It was clear that MD was the better squad.  Imo. it very easily could have been 35 to 0 had it not been for an "ill called for" "time out" and MD's somewhat relaxed play toward the end of the first half. In fact it seemed they took their foot off the petal quite a bit during the game which allowed BG to make the game look closer than it really was. It was as if their attitude was " ok you had your fun and now and it's time to get serious". When BG appeared to get closer, MD shifted gears and made it look easy.

One of the unexpected pleasures of the game was the Gorman fans. ( I sat on the BG side ) The group I was sitting with were not only passionate about their BG football but really understand the game as it develops. It was enjoyable talking the strategies and plays as they unfolded which always makes for a better experience. They appreciated the class MD showed by shutting it down at game's end. A great fan base who is understandably proud of what can be considered among the very best programs in the country and which I would never hesitate to enjoy a game with.

Now this is just one game and an early season one at that;  but it was against a top five ranked team and anyone who seriously understands HS football has to appreciate that Sammy's "once in a generation" thing  may have some validity... at least this season.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

One of the unexpected pleasures of the game was the Gorman fans. ( I sat on the BG side ) The group I was sitting with were not only passionate about their BG football but really understand the game as it develops. It was enjoyable talking the strategies and plays as they unfolded which always makes for a better experience. They appreciated the class MD showed by shutting it down at game's end. A great fan base who is understandably proud of what can be considered among the very best programs in the country and which I would never hesitate to enjoy a game with.

I sat on the Gorman side as well(The Mater Dei seats suck if you're not a season pass holder).

The fans I sat next to were delusional as hell. They were trying to tell me BG would easily stop MD if they ran the ball. Then there was a 4th and one that MD easily pushed BG back and the person left. At halftime another BG fan said he thought BG was going to romp MD in the 2nd half(Which made me offer him a bet of any amount of his wishing which he turned down). BG was at a major disadvantage upfront from the get go, that's why they lost. The best player for MD on Friday was number 47, he was causing havoc along the LOS all game long.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

I sat on the Gorman side as well(The Mater Dei seats suck if you're not a season pass holder).

The fans I sat next to were delusional as hell. They were trying to tell me BG would easily stop MD if they ran the ball. Then there was a 4th and one that MD easily pushed BG back and the person left. At halftime another BG fan said he thought BG was going to romp MD in the 2nd half(Which made me offer him a bet of any amount of his wishing which he turned down). BG was at a major disadvantage upfront from the get go, that's why they lost. The best player for MD on Friday was number 47, he was causing havoc along the LOS all game long.

#47 is the JR. Linebacker I warned everyone about multiple times.  The MD backers are among the best group in the country.  They were key against the dual threat QB's of BG and SJB.

32 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Sounds like you sat next to a GA fan with all their delusions. Lol

19 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Too bad about the fans around you. I ended up between the 45 and 50 yd line about midway up with a group of BG fans who at the outset were pretty confident they would win. After MD's first drive, they felt BG would answer but after it was 14 to 0 the realities of how the game could flow started to set in and they started to acknowledge this was not just another game... after which there was some great football talk.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gospeeder said:

Too bad about the fans around you. I ended up between the 45 and 50 yd line about midway up with a group of BG fans who at the outset were pretty confident they would win. After MD's first drive, they felt BG would answer but after it was 14 to 0 the realities of how the game could flow started to set in and they started to acknowledge this was not just another game... after which there was some great football talk.

I sat right at the 50 all the way at the top

2 hours ago, steeler01 said:

A question if I may? Are most of the studs for MD seniors, and will they hafta reload with another fifty transfers? Or are they good to go for next season? Cause my boys at Colquitt are looking to fill SIX spots on the schedule!

1 hour ago, old_e said:

Never again will I sit on the Mater Dei side. Pre sale tickets? WTH. I was lucky the season ticket holder where I was sitting didn't show up. 47 was on beast mode all game.

Yeah... that's why I never sit on MD side. You can get Gen Adm. tickets just before KO and always find a good seat on the visitors side.

2 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

A question if I may? Are most of the studs for MD seniors, and will they hafta reload with another fifty transfers? Or are they good to go for next season? Cause my boys at Colquitt are looking to fill SIX spots on the schedule!

Meester Rush, heee hire mi to feel dees seeks game.

Hee sae looky at Meester teem weeth no senor un a knew coack.

Meester Rush, heee no wanna play Meester  Knew Jersee or meester  Beach Boy.   Meester Rush heee no wanna trable.   Hee sae "no wae Jose'". 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Consuela said:

Meester Rush, heee hire mi to feel dees seeks game.

Hee sae looky at Meester teem weeth no senior un a knew coack.

Meester Rush, heee no wanna play Meester  Knew Jersee or meester  Beach Boy.   Meester Rush heee no wanna trable.   Hee sae "no wae Jose'". 

Another post for the Prep Gridiron hall of fame!

• Thanks 1