9-11 Monday Night Football Featuring NY

DevilDog

Man this is great as a nation we still get to enjoy our culture.  Not only am I hyped about this game and your comments on it.  I would like to know where you were on this date 21 years ago.  That 21 years flew bye.   I was in Base Housing in San Diego and got a call from Philadelphia that said dad turn on the TV.  Remember Cali is 3 hrs behind New York.  Unbelievable.  Immediately got a call to report to base ASAP as we set up a perimeter all around MCRD San Diego.  I can speak for most Marines our Pisstivity level was thru the roof.  I was 5 Months away from retirement.  Was advised this could put a hold on Retirements and EOC's.  My MOS wasn't flagged and Retired the following Feb 2002.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Man this is great as a nation we still get to enjoy our culture.  Not only am I hyped about this game and your comments on it.  I would like to know where you were on this date 21 years ago.  That 21 years flew bye.   I was in Base Housing in San Diego and got a call from Philadelphia that said dad turn on the TV.  Remember Cali is 3 hrs behind New York.  Unbelievable.  Immediately got a call to report to base ASAP as we set up a perimeter all around MCRD San Diego.  I can speak for most Marines our Pisstivity level was thru the roof.  I was 5 Months away from retirement.  Was advised this could put a hold on Retirements and EOC's.  My MOS wasn't flagged and Retired the following Feb 2002.  

Yep I remember like it was yesterday. I was stationed at Ranstein GE, was working at USAF in Europe HQ.  Div boss had the tv on and all of us crammed in his office to watch things unfold. My mil life never was the same again after that. (The next 9 years or so till retired) Every effort and focus was on GWOT 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Amen! It was beautiful seeing the Statue of Liberty with the city backdrop and having the crowd singing the Star-Spangled Banner was awesome! It was a good sight and feeling for sure!

I was at work and heard something on the radio...I turned on CNN and believe it or not knew it was OBL who was responsible. The plane flew past my location by about 2-3 miles as the crow flies as it followed the Hudson River on its way to the city. I then called my kids school to see if I could pick them up and was told they didn't want a bunch of parents showing up. I then went into shock as most Americans did. I later found out I knew 3 people who died that day.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DBP66 said:

Amen! It was beautiful seeing the Statue of Liberty with the city backdrop and having the crowd singing the Star-Spangled Banner was awesome! It was a good sight and feeling for sure!

I was at work and heard something on the radio...I turned on CNN and believe it or not knew it was OSB who was responsible. The plane flew past my location by about 2-3 miles as the crow flies as it followed the Hudson River on its way to the city. I then called my kids school to see if I could pick them up and was told they didn't want a bunch of parents showing up. I then went into shock as most Americans did. I later found out I knew 3 people who died that day.

Sorry for your losses 

• Thanks 1

Many thx for your service TX brethren.  

A longtime friend of mine (but at the time we weren’t keeping in touch) I found out a few years later that he took off from Germany on 9/11.

The flight was still within range to return back to Germany and not end up in Canada, like many other flights that day.  I seem to recall he mentioned about 90 minutes in they turned around.   Makes sense as Euro flights land in the US from early afternoon on.  

Wife and I working in N Miami Beach.  My wife was chatting with a travel wholesaler colleague at the time and all of a sudden an F bomb was yelled out to my wife and the mention of the first WTC plane crash. 

That prompted us to flip on our small color TV in the office that was rarely on with antenna ears… and try to get a somewhat clear picture.  

Just total shock and sadness and not being able to reach my fam in NJ… remember that day vividly.  

• Like 3