1946 (St Petersburg) Gibbs,FL vs (Valdosta) Dasher High - Christmas Clash of State Champions

Nolebull813

54 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

A11C8D97-2DD1-4258-B8AF-3956FC4258F1.jpeg

I was anxious to see if they won.  Bro thanks.  That's so freaking awesome.  Watched a documentary of Arican American Servicemen during WWII.  I am a proud Marine to my Corps a former Senior Drill Instructor.  Nothing I went thru compared to what they endured just to serve.   Thanks @Horsefly and I are students of the PVIL here and man they produced arguably the best Professional Football players in the History of HS Football.  They often played in Front of 25K for the State Champs.  Again Thanks for the History of Florida Football.  They drew 3K for an OOS game.  Freaking awesome.  Semper Fi till I die. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Yep! These old articles are a treasure highlighting some of the great feats from teams in the past. It’s rare in any time to hold teams scoreless entire season. 

I'm shocked to see that old article and there are not at least 5 references calling them Negro's. I wonder if that is an African American Newspaper article.   Because a column near one of them talks about FAMU and their band.  Looks like different reporters as well.  Good stuff Florida regardless. Great articles from multiple sources

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I'm shocked to see that old article and there are not at least 5 references calling them Negro's. I wonder if that is an African American Newspaper article. 

Theres a lot of games like this between GA-FL-AL-SC-NC-TN and MS 

Colquitt County HS for Black youth went to Miami to play BTW and blanked em 32-0 

Ralphe Bunche HS was the first HS in Camden County to win a state title... they had a string of successful seasons before desegregation...  

Ralphe Bunche isn't open anymore it got merged into the Camden County HS y'all know today... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Theres a lot of games like this between GA-FL-AL-SC-NC-TN and MS 

Colquitt County HS for Black youth went to Miami to play BTW and blanked em 32-0 

Ralphe Bunche HS was the first HS in Camden County to win a state title... they had a string of successful seasons before desegregation...  

Ralphe Bunche isn't open anymore it got merged into the Camden County HS y'all know today... 

Yes.  bEast Texas UIL teams sucked.  Magically in 1967 they became dominate.  Lufkin Dunbar was a PVIL Beast winning 4 straight PVIL Championships.  They were one of the last teams to integrate later with Lufkin High.  How good were they their 1st year in the UIL they were still all black they went to State and Magically Daingerfield now a small school blueblood integrated that same year and beat them 7 - 6 for the  Texas 2A Championship.    Good stuff.  Our PVIL Champ in the 30's and 40's played the La. Black champs in a game called the Chocolate Bowl.  

• Like 3

@Nolebull813 where the Gibbs vs Lakeland and Daytona Beach HS games integration games? 

I know in the GHSFA records site theres records of Black schools playing white schools.... 

I know Usually city schools back then where for white students... 

I also know in Georgia some areas did not care... 

Some white coaches actually supported integration... 

The Baddest damn HS Football League in HS History:  Texas PVIL.  It's legendary here.  The reason Track and Field is big in Texas is the Legacy of the PVIL.  Look at this.  No League can match what they produced.  Cliff Branch was the 1st HS kid to run a 9.3 100m 😁 

In 1992 the Houston Chronicle selected an all-time PVIL team. Listed below are the first team offensive and defensive selections:

• OFFENSE

• WR -- Charley Taylor, Grand Prairie
  • WR -- Warren Wells, Beaumont Hebert
  • WR -- Cliff Branch, Houston Worthing
  • End -- Jerry Levias, Beaumont Hebert
  • Line -- Gene Upshaw, Robstown
  • Line -- Marvin Upshaw, Robstown
  • Line -- Ernie Ladd, Orange
  • Line -- Clarence Williams, Sweeny Carver
  • QB -- Otis Taylor, Houston Worthing
  • Back -- Gene Washington, Baytown Carver
  • Back -- Duane Thomas, Dallas Lincoln
  • DEFENSE

• Line -- Toby Smith, Beaumont Charlton-Pollard
  • Line -- Bubba Smith, Beaumont Charlton-Pollard
  • Line -- Joe Greene, Temple Dunbar
  • Line -- Harvey Martin, Dallas South Oak Cliff
  • LB -- Dick Lane, Austin Anderson
  • LB -- Tony Gillory, Beaumont Hebert
  • LB -- Emmitt Thomas, Angleton
  • Back -- Mel Farr, Beaumont Hebert
  • Back -- Miller Farr, Beaumont Hebert
  • Back -- Ken Houston, Lufkin Dunbar
  • Back -- Abner Haynes, Dallas Lincoln
  • Like 5

@Ga96  Its History is preserved here.  Everything you need to know by Sport.  

https://pvilca.org/athletes.html

There are six former PVIL football players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame:

• Joe Greene (Pittsburgh Steelers) - Temple (Dunbar)
  • Gene Upshaw (Oakland Raiders) - Robstown
  • Dick "Night Train" Lane (Detroit Lions) - Austin (Anderson)
  • Charley Taylor (Washington Redskins) - Grand Prairie (Dalworth)
  • Emmitt Thomas (Kansas City Chiefs) - Angleton (Marshall)
  • Ken Houston (Washington Redskins) - Lufkin (Dunbar)

NOTES

• Running back Ollie Matson of Houston Yates starred at the University of San Francisco and, in 1951, was the first black Texan to receive Heisman votes.
  • Beaumont Charlton-Pollard lineman Bubba Smith starred at Michigan State and became the No. 1 overall pick of the 1967 NFL draft (Baltimore Colts), one of five players from PVIL schools taken that year as an NFL team’s first choice. The others were running back Mel Farr (Hebert), wide receiver Gene Washington (Baytown Carver), lineman Gene Upshaw (Robstown), and running back Willie Ellison (Lockhart Carver).
  • The PVIL-sponsored Chocolate Bowl in 1939, matched the black state champions from Texas (Temple Dunbar) against their counterparts from Louisiana (Bogalusa).
  • In basketball, Houston Worthing’s David Lattin was a valuable center on the Texas Western team that upset Kentucky in the 1966 NCAA national championship game and was featured in the book and hit movie, "Glory Road".
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

@Nolebull813 where the Gibbs vs Lakeland and Daytona Beach HS games integration games? 

I know in the GHSFA records site theres records of Black schools playing white schools.... 

That was the key to Valdosta's success back then. People point at recruiting but desegregation is what really put them over the top. Its a shame to see how some of the folks over there have acted over rodemaker firing to the felton hiring.

28 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Probably not. Integration games didn’t start until at least 1965