Daytona Mainland at Cocoa (Oct 6)

dan in daytona

These two central Florida powers will finally hook up for a real game after circumstances (2015 both played St Ed's instead ) and weather (2016 hurricane Matthew ) derailed the first two years of the contract. Cocoa appears " as good as ever, " while Mainland seems to have dropped off somewhat. Still both teams are loaded with at least a half dozen D-1 players on their rosters. Speed and athletic ability is never in shortage at either campus. This match up is long over due. Only Apopka and the Osceola Kowboys in the Orlando area have been as consistently strong as these two over such a long period of time in this part of the state. The last couple of years this game would have been a toss up. Clearly Cocoa is the favorite at home in 2017. We will see....     

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Viera guy here, Cocoa is beatable. Viera led the whole game against Cocoa before losing in 2OT. As soon as NG for Viera went out injured at end of  3rd  qt. Cocoa abandoned their passing attack(below average) and pounded the middle of the defense. Hawkins broke several long runs and and scored to tie game with under a minute left. Cocoa won game on a 4th down bad snap on field goal attempt, when holder threw up a prayer that was answered. Viera led whole game but even though I think they are the more complete team, this is the third year in a row they can't get it done in the one place it counts, the scoreboard.  

Merritt Island grad so I know rep of DB Mainland, solid past but don't know about your current team.  Good luck, should be one of the better games in state this week.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bamarod said:

Viera guy here, Cocoa is beatable. Viera led the whole game against Cocoa before losing in 2OT. As soon as NG for Viera went out injured at end of  3rd  qt. Cocoa abandoned their passing attack(below average) and pounded the middle of the defense. Hawkins broke several long runs and and scored to tie game with under a minute left. Cocoa won game on a 4th down bad snap on field goal attempt, when holder threw up a prayer that was answered. Viera led whole game but even though I think they are the more complete team, this is the third year in a row they can't get it done in the one place it counts, the scoreboard.  

Merritt Island grad so I know rep of DB Mainland, solid past but don't know about your current team.  Good luck, should be one of the better games in state this week.

What happened in that Rockledge game?  Are they that improved?

9 hours ago, Bamarod said:

Hawkins broke a few long runs throughout the whole game. The winning touchdown was definitely a botched handle on the hold. But that throw wasn't a prayer....i kinda feel like they practice a few routes just in case the hold goes wrong. At least from what I saw because there were 2 routes ran and the holder who is the starting QB rolled out. Which made it look like a fake on film. Pretty much looked like a QB waggle pass option play. 

8 hours ago, Keemd91 said:

Hawkins broke a few long runs throughout the whole game. The winning touchdown was definitely a botched handle on the hold. But that throw wasn't a prayer....i kinda feel like they practice a few routes just in case the hold goes wrong. At least from what I saw because there were 2 routes ran and the holder who is the starting QB rolled out. Which made it look like a fake on film. Pretty much looked like a QB waggle pass option play. 

Hawkins was caught from behind every time, hence the 3 pts. allowed before he scored at end of game. There were 3-4 guys around the WR who caught the ball in 2OT, I think he broke his arm on play. Not saying they hadn't practiced it. I was arguing whether it was planned because the holder (QB) knew exactly where he was going with it. Just saying it was a prayer because WR was surrounded and came down with ball. If you were at game the atmosphere was exactly what high school football is all about. Every play was tense and both teams played hearts out. Hat off to Cocoa for win, again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bamarod said:

Hawkins was caught from behind every time, hence the 3 pts. allowed before he scored at end of game. There were 3-4 guys around the WR who caught the ball in 2OT, I think he broke his arm on play. Not saying they hadn't practiced it. I was arguing whether it was planned because the holder (QB) knew exactly where he was going with it. Just saying it was a prayer because WR was surrounded and came down with ball. If you were at game the atmosphere was exactly what high school football is all about. Every play was tense and both teams played hearts out. Hat off to Cocoa for win, again.

Great game...Hawkins had 300 + yards rushing, breaking several long ones but playing both ways the entire game definitely affected him...Willie Gaines scored game tying TD...I think Cocoa experience in big games helped in this one...Viera has a good team and are definitely the second best team in Brevard this year

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Prog8r said:

What happened in that Rockledge game?  Are they that improved?

Viera's  spread offense demands strong QB play. Preseason game QB Demorat had 2-3 interceptions. He still lacked confidence in himself or receivers in the Rockledge game. He has 3 top receivers to go to(1-2 are open each play) just wasn't finding them. He made some inaccurate passes that had me doubting if he could take it to the next level. Rockledge might have more pure athletes than Cocoa or Viera and these kids all know each other very well.  Just seems like going to Gonzaga  the light came on for DeMorat. He made the correct reads and made the accurate passes to move the ball. Continues to get better in Cocoa and Melbourne games. Big difference in this team and two years ago, Oline can give QB time even against the more elite teams. Defense has talent and enough experience to go all the way in state as long as injuries are kept to a minimum. Game is at Palm Bay this week and should be last test before the second-third round of play-offs.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 11:37 PM, Bamarod said:

Thanks Bamarod, I've got long time Cocoa/MI ties going back to the late '50's. Surfed first time just north of the pier on a 10' RonJon's freebie from the original surf shop building not the newer Taj Mahal. Got relatives who went to school with Waldo Williams, Leon Bright, and Jimmy Black ('72 champs). Mainland always has a fighter's chance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bamarod said:

Viera's  spread offense demands strong QB play. Preseason game QB Demorat had 2-3 interceptions. He still lacked confidence in himself or receivers in the Rockledge game. He has 3 top receivers to go to(1-2 are open each play) just wasn't finding them. He made some inaccurate passes that had me doubting if he could take it to the next level. Rockledge might have more pure athletes than Cocoa or Viera and these kids all know each other very well.  Just seems like going to Gonzaga  the light came on for DeMorat. He made the correct reads and made the accurate passes to move the ball. Continues to get better in Cocoa and Melbourne games. Big difference in this team and two years ago, Oline can give QB time even against the more elite teams. Defense has talent and enough experience to go all the way in state as long as injuries are kept to a minimum. Game is at Palm Bay this week and should be last test before the second-third round of play-offs.

Palm Bay and Rockledge were powerhouses in the early year's of this century. Coach Woods left the Rock, and coach Burke left PB. Not to mention, new schools took some good feeder neighborhoods.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Can you fuckin believe that Viera got less playoff points for that overtime loss to undefeated Cocoa than Hagerty got for beating 0-5 Ocoee 22-21

What kind of trash has this scumbag State association got these teams in to?

Where are you tracking this at?

• Like 1

Wilkinson came over from my old high school Merritt Island and built the current  Cocoa Dynasty. Still can't get over him leaving MI. He would have had the MI Mustangs still leading the county but for politics. Totally agree with you on what he has accomplished at such a small school.

Dan in Daytona, was just a kid growing up on the Island remember the Clint Hurdle, Leon Bright days. Graduated a senior in '81 after back to back state titles. Some great players Jeff Wickersham, John Kolbrand under Coach Odom. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 5:25 PM, dan in daytona said:

I'm a Cocoa fan too, just not this week...

I feel ya brotha, I'm a Mainland fan also... but you know the drill when playing against each other.

May we see a healthy game that is exciting for both schools. 

Notice to refs... Plz let em play football instead of patty-cakes.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 9:50 PM, Nolebull813 said:

Can you fuckin believe that Viera got less playoff points for that overtime loss to undefeated Cocoa than Hagerty got for beating 0-5 Ocoee 22-21

What kind of trash has this scumbag State association got these teams in to?

I hear you. The point system doesn't make sense. Some decent teams are gonna get screwed in the end. Cocoa and BTW could meet in the second round, probably not, but possible with the seeding.

Viera's defense is a cut above. Dudes are stout. I still believe they are the second best team in 7A this year. Made Cocoa work their asses off for that win.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bamarod said:

Wilkinson came over from my old high school Merritt Island and built the current  Cocoa Dynasty. Still can't get over him leaving MI. He would have had the MI Mustangs still leading the county but for politics. Totally agree with you on what he has accomplished at such a small school.

Dan in Daytona, was just a kid growing up on the Island remember the Clint Hurdle, Leon Bright days. Graduated a senior in '81 after back to back state titles. Some great players Jeff Wickersham, John Kolbrand under Coach Odom. 

Glad you didn't leave out coach Gerald Odom. That's the Brevard County Godfather. Cocoa wasn't much for years until he flipped them at the end of his career. His M.I. years sent many assistants on to a successful coaching career. Hear "Wilk" lives in Edgewater (Volusia County). Always rumors he might coach closer to home. Wouldn't that be nice :)   

4 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I feel ya brotha, I'm a Mainland fan also... but you know the drill when playing against each other.

May we see a healthy game that is exciting for both schools. 

Notice to refs... Plz let em play football instead of patty-cakes.

I like that 'Cat. Cocoa and Mainland always have similar athletes from very similar backgrounds. All grow up within 55 miles of each other. Been playing head to head since the youngest days of Pop Warner football. This should be an every year thing. As for the Ref's, the less we see of the striped shirter's the better. Nothing dirty, just hope they keep the flags off the field on the questionable one's. If in doubt, NO CALL. May the best team win. Peace

14 hours ago, dan in daytona said:

Glad you didn't leave out coach Gerald Odom. That's the Brevard County Godfather. Cocoa wasn't much for years until he flipped them at the end of his career. His M.I. years sent many assistants on to a successful coaching career. Hear "Wilk" lives in Edgewater (Volusia County). Always rumors he might coach closer to home. Wouldn't that be nice :)   

He has mentioned it before, coaching in the Daytona area. When his wifes parents were ill I believe.

21-7 Cocoa Final. Solid effort by Mainland. 

59-21 Viera over Palm Bay.  Viera had it by halftime 42-14. Palm Bay played a hurricane make-up game on Tuesday and looked worn out by 2nd qt. Palm Bay is top 10 in 5A, strong running game ( 2 RBs ) big Oline, but just not enough on defense, especially for two games in 4 days.

2 hours ago, Bamarod said:

59-21 Viera over Palm Bay.  Viera had it by halftime 42-14. Palm Bay played a hurricane make-up game on Tuesday and looked worn out by 2nd qt. Palm Bay is top 10 in 5A, strong running game ( 2 RBs ) big Oline, but just not enough on defense, especially for two games in 4 days.

Defensively both teams looked pretty strong. Neither offense was impressive. Mainland's was lost, no direction, no clue. Got to win the district now. Nothing else matters....I wish I meant that...

• Like 1

Mainland has a giant O-line and #5 D'andre Mcmillian has a ton of heart, his legs never stopped even when he had 2 or 3 defenders dragging behind him.

J-Hawk must of had 40 carries for Cocoa, 30 of them trying to go up the middle. Cocoa's O-line wasn't really opening any holes for Hawkins though.

Both teams need to work on their passing games. Both could have much better games if they passed a little more.

Flags hurt Mainland... exactly what I hoped would not happen. 2 TD's called back on Mainland that ended in no points.

Both teams have exceptional RB's. Hawkins and McMillian will both be good at the next level. Enjoyed watching both move the chains.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bamarod said:

Probably similar to what happened to us a few weeks ago, we would have beaten Madison at 100% but we could only hold up for a half, by second half against Madison we were worn down