1975 excellence ad

golfaddict1

NFL Strategy takes me back to watching my Dad and his brother play… and I was sitting next to each, following O vs D strategy as a kid.   Great game.   

Hockey game was fun, except for the dead puck area behind the goal.  

The electric football game (Jets and Colts I had) was a dud, but it was fun lining them up seeing the funny results.  

Just need a Tyco racing set and you’re good to go.  That was a lot of fun.  

IMG_7826.jpeg

• Like 2

It's been about 30 years since I received my first football game, a CD ROM game called Tom Landry Strategy Football. Despite being on the computer it likely had worse game play than these table top games. As a matter of fact it had no game play; you picked a formation and play/tendency based on what the offense/defense lined up in, and the computer would simulate it. Along with not being able to control the individual players the game was not licensed by the NFL so your classic NFC Cowboys-Giants game would be a game between Dallas and New Jersey (city names didn't repeat and the Jets got the honor of being the New York delegate; the Rams were simply "Anaheim").

I did figure out how to alter the game's programming and changed team and player names to synch with Arizona high school teams; despite some critics finding it a chore to play the game even once I wasted away a number of summer days simulating mythical seasons.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

NFL Strategy takes me back to watching my Dad and his brother play… and I was sitting next to each, following O vs D strategy as a kid.   Great game.   

Hockey game was fun, except for the dead puck area behind the goal.  

The electric football game (Jets and Colts I had) was a dud, but it was fun lining them up seeing the funny results.  

Just need a Tyco racing set and you’re good to go.  That was a lot of fun.  

IMG_7826.jpeg

Electric football with guys doing circles was terrible 😂.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Wooderson said:

It's been about 30 years since I received my first football game, a CD ROM game called Tom Landry Strategy Football. Despite being on the computer it likely had worse game play than these table top games. As a matter of fact it had no game play; you picked a formation and play/tendency based on what the offense/defense lined up in, and the computer would simulate it. Along with not being able to control the individual players the game was not licensed by the NFL so your classic NFC Cowboys-Giants game would be a game between Dallas and New Jersey (city names didn't repeat and the Jets got the honor of being the New York delegate; the Rams were simply "Anaheim").

I did figure out how to alter the game's programming and changed team and player names to synch with Arizona high school teams; despite some critics finding it a chore to play the game even once I wasted away a number of summer days simulating mythical seasons.

I don’t remember the Landry game, but sounds similar to the NFL Strategy simulation type game I mention above that is shown in the photo.   Best way to learn the game imo.  

Heck, with the Madden games years back you could design your own plays.  It was extremely cool to play with that format.  

On 12/24/2023 at 2:49 PM, Cossacks said:

Yeah the technology in the 70’s wasn’t quite there yet. But in hindsight it was a better time. We got off our asses and occupied our time w/ some GOAT toys.

One of a handful of items I kept from my childhood home was my Evel Knievel and motorcycle. 😊

I couldn’t find the ramp with the rev wheel though.  😞 

IMG_7877.jpeg

• Like 1