Anyone ever eat Lionfish?

RedZone

26 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Yes, it

's ugly but not bad tasting. It's sure as heck tastier than Tilapia, which is now commonly eaten in the USA. I had it on a trip home to Jamaica two years ago.

Yeah, that's interesting.

We have one seaford place (that I know of) here that serves Lionfish every so often......We've seen it on the menue there a couple times.

The guy that owns the restaurant goes to Pensacola and spears them in some Lionfish Rodeo thing or something. Evidently they are in Florida pretty good and hitting the Louisiana coast too. These Lionfish are bad news for the reef.

Can't make myself try Lionfish though and I can eat anything..

I'll stick with what I know from the water. xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

I'd have to take a couple night classes just to learn how to clean that fish.  Then I wouldn't feel good about it.

Getting rid of the spines is the biggest issue. Once that's done, cleaning is pretty much like any other fish. The flesh is not that different from that of small Grouper or their cousins. I was skeptical, but figured if I have tried Gator, why not. I did not regret it and would order it again if I saw it on a restaurant menu here in Central Florida. 

5 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Yes, it

's ugly but not bad tasting. It's sure as heck tastier than Tilapia, which is now commonly eaten in the USA. I had it on a trip home to Jamaica two years ago.

The fact it takes a Brotha with a spear gun in the middle of the Ocean to get one.  I am gonna go out on a limb and say most people have not had the dreaded Lionfish.  xD  DreadHead Love all day 

• Haha 3

Its gotten very popular in Jamaica as the government has actively promoted its consumption to help preserve the population of snappers, parrots and other native bottom feeders. 

Once you get past the fact it's ugly, it's a great dinner/lunch fish. If and when it becomes available in supermarkets or local fish stores in Florida, I will be a buyer. I can think of many a Jamaican recipe I could use it in. 

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

But Tilapia I can get for $3.99 a pound so it's always in the freezer. :P

Tilapia, like most foods, is as good as the talent of the chief, cook. 

Yes, if you have good cooking skills Tilapia can be okay. But I have never really had a truly delicious Tilapia meal. Just saying that having eaten both Tilapia and Lionfish, I can say that, to me at any rate, Lionfish is superior, and by a big margin. 

The chief issues I have had with Tilapia are: 1. An after taste. 2. The actual texture of the fish itself. 

• Like 1

Tilapia sucks! 

Tilapia is for people that don't know what good seafood is actually. The texture is bad, and without lot's of seasoning the flavor is bad as well. 

Mahi-Mahi, speckled trout, red drum, snapper, grouper etc. etc. 

Hell even rock-bass and kroker is better than tilapia and most sports fishermen are using those for cut bait rather than food fish. xD

And to think restaurants around here are feeding you "grouper" sandwiches that are Tilapia. One bite and I immediately know that it isn't grouper! One bite. Yet folks are buying those sandwiches and bragging about how good that grouper was. I just smh. Call it a tilapia sandwich instead of grouper sandwich with (tilapia) in parenthesis and small print somewhere. What a joke. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Yes, if you have good cooking skills Tilapia can be okay. But I have never really had a truly delicious Tilapia meal. Just saying that having eaten both Tilapia and Lionfish, I can say that, to me at any rate, Lionfish is superior, and by a big margin. 

The chief issues I have had with Tilapia are: 1. An after taste. 2. The actual texture of the fish itself. 

It's the texture that kills me! Mushy freshwater flavor. YUCK!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Wish I could help the cause.....it's a good one, I just ain't there yet.

Maybe I can buy a spear. learn how to use it  and go to one of these Lionfish rodeos and just spear em'......then give them away or something.

download.jpg

I'm not eating one. Too many variables involved. I have to trust the folks preparing my food enough already, than to have to worry about whether they allowed some poison to accidentally taint my fish filet. 

I don't think there is much can be done at this point to stop the spread of the lionfish though. Divers all over Florida spear them but they are good at hiding and obviously are reproducing quicker than they can be found and speared. 

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm not eating one. Too many variables involved. I have to trust the folks preparing my food enough already, than to have to worry about whether they allowed some poison to accidentally taint my fish filet. 

I don't think there is much can be done at this point to stop the spread of the lionfish though. Divers all over Florida spear them but they are good at hiding and obviously are reproducing quicker than they can be found and speared. 

lionfish are venomous, not poisonous

there is no harm in eating the lionfish

You do need dispose of the spines.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RedZone said:

They remind me of a porcupine......there is a limit to a Cajun diet...xD

I'm not too worried about how a fish looks ahead of being cleaned really. I mean I like sheepshead and that's an ugly joker if you look at it from the mouth. xD

Looks like a bad set of dentures. 

Image result for sheepshead

Birds of prey like sheepshead though so I reckon it's good for me to eat. 

Related image

The day we get some images of an eagle or osprey flying off with a lionfish, I may decide he's fit for me to eat too. 

30 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm not too worried about how a fish looks ahead of being cleaned really. I mean I like sheepshead and that's an ugly joker if you look at it from the mouth. xD

Looks like a bad set of dentures. 

Image result for sheepshead

Birds of prey like sheepshead though so I reckon it's good for me to eat. 

Related image

The day we get some images of an eagle or osprey flying off with a lionfish, I may decide he's fit for me to eat too. 

You can eat Porcupines, Beavers, Woodchucks, Lionfish (I guess) and stuff, but that's like survivor food. and, it might be tasty survivor food for all I know...

It's good knowing you eat that stuff though.

25 minutes ago, RedZone said:

You can eat Porcupines, Beavers, Woodchucks, Lionfish (I guess) and stuff, but that's like survivor food. and, it might be tasty survivor food for all I know..

Hey, I had never had deer till a year and a half ago. Call it fear of eating Bambi, if you wish. Tried it in Pennsylvania and it was pretty good!

People tend to eat what is readily available in their neck of the woods. As long as it's not poisonous and I don't consider it filthy, I am willing to try it. Worst case is, I don't like it and stay away in the future. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, noonereal said:

But Tilapia I can get for $3.99 a pound so it's always in the freezer. :P

Tilapia, like most foods, is as good as the talent of the chief, cook. 

Seriously, I try really REELLY  hard to try and not have a problem with what you say, but you make it so damn hard....

Yes you can put lipstick on a pig, but 'Tilapia' as hardly even palatable....hell I would rather cook up some big oily Bluefish and choke that down.  And yes, there is even ways to make that work ... but that was not really the point was it.

As far as Lionfish, had some in my fish tank xD .

Now (more along the lines of what nooner was trying to say),  if someone knows what they are doing with the clean/cook, I'd try it.  Heck if some of those old grandmas could cook up them eels like champs and make them delicious why not...but it always helps to have better ingredients...

5 hours ago, dbcaptiron said:

Seriously, I try really REELLY  hard to try and not have a problem with what you say, but you make it so damn hard....

Yes you can put lipstick on a pig, but 'Tilapia' as hardly even palatable....hell I would rather cook up some big oily Bluefish and choke that down.  And yes, there is even ways to make that work ... but that was not really the point was it.

As far as Lionfish, had some in my fish tank xD .

Now (more along the lines of what nooner was trying to say),  if someone knows what they are doing with the clean/cook, I'd try it.  Heck if some of those old grandmas could cook up them eels like champs and make them delicious why not...but it always helps to have better ingredients...

What an insulting bitch you are. 

Here is an idea, deal with your mental health issues in private with a profesional. 

9 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Tilapia sucks! 

Tilapia is for people that don't know what good seafood is actually. The texture is bad, and without lot's of seasoning the flavor is bad as well. 

Mahi-Mahi, speckled trout, red drum, snapper, grouper etc. etc. 

Hell even rock-bass and kroker is better than tilapia and most sports fishermen are using those for cut bait rather than food fish. xD

And to think restaurants around here are feeding you "grouper" sandwiches that are Tilapia. One bite and I immediately know that it isn't grouper! One bite. Yet folks are buying those sandwiches and bragging about how good that grouper was. I just smh. Call it a tilapia sandwich instead of grouper sandwich with (tilapia) in parenthesis and small print somewhere. What a joke. 

Tilapia is for people who have no respect for themselves that shit is disgusting...