Celebrating 110 years of Blue Jacket and Cadet football

TheMaximumHornetSting

2 of the oldest Programs in the state. 

The Savannah Blue Jackets and the Benedictine Catholic Cadets. This year both schools will be celebrating 110 years of Football 

HISTORY 

The Savannah Blue Jackets are the oldest Public school team in Savannah they fielded their first team in 1908. The Blue Jackets where stellar in the early 1900s. They beat teams from TN,SC,FL,Mexico,Cuba,NC and NY. 

Savannah has always played in the Highest class... until recently... 

THE BENEDICTINE CADETS

like Savannah, Benedictine  started in 1908 and had a rockier start than the Blue Jackets. Benedictine was founded by the Benedictine monks. As a Catholic Millitary school...(Its sort of still that in a sense) Benedictine much like their public rival have always played in the highest class since their founding.  

The Rivalry Begins. 

It was a hot August evening late in the afternoon around 7pm. Savannah HS played in a tough hard fought game against  Benedictine.  They beat the Cadets 11-0. 

Benedictine was not happy at all... 

Savannah played Benedictine 4 times in one season... 

Savannah won 3 out of 4 and tied 1 of them... 

That same season The Blue Jackets traveled down to Jacksonville,FL to play Duval HS where they beat the hell out of Duval 34-0. 

In 1910 Benedictine did the unthinkable and beat the Blue Jackets 5-0. 

The 1970s 

By the time the 70s rolled around more schools had opened and Savannah had expanded significantly. The rivalry was waning.  The talent for Savannah HS had been split amongst the privates and publics. 

Savannah Beach HS(1950)

Savannah Jenkins(1957)

Savannah Johnson(1959)

Windsor Forest (1968)

Arnold(1968)(Defunct)

Tompkins(1957)(Defunct)

Groves(Garden City)(1957)(God they shouldnt even be there...) 

This put a big dent in the talent pool  and the privates feasted on this. 

Savannah Christian(1970)

Savannah Country Day(1979)

Savannah Calvary Day(1973)

Where aspiring privates that attempted to dethrone Benedictine. 

Unfortunately none would succeed  

Benedictine Destroyed all the publics and privates that played them from the 50s-70s

Savannah HS as  mentioned before was suffering from having the talent pool split... and just couldnt keep up with Benedictine... 

They where getting blasted every year by Benedictine. 

And had a serious playoff drought to top it all off... 

Savannah had a serious rough patch from the 50s-80s... Benedictine and Savannah Christian where sucking all the real talent  out of the public loop... 

THE MODERN ERA(2000-2018)  

Benedictine is still kicking and have won 2 of the last 3 GA 2A state titles. Even when Benedictine was competing  with Camden County they where consistently having 10-12 win seasons. 

Savannah HS has not enjoyed the same success as stated before the ever exoanding publics are killing them. But recently Savannah HS has been. Showing signs of life in the past 3years they have went:

6-5

8-3

8-4

9-3 

That might not sound to good but once you see what theyve been through you'd honestly applaud it. 

The new HC gutted the program completely and started from scratch 

New staff,New Facillities and everything... 

The 100th meeting 

This year will be the 100th meeting between both schools. Despite both being 110 years old there where a few points where the 2 couldnt play including the last 6 years...  thanks to the 2012 GHSA realignment both schools where put into different classes:

Benedictine got moved to 2A and Savannah to 4A then they got dropped to 3A in 2014. 

But now both schools are in 3A in the same region. 

And will be playing each other for The Blue Jackets homecoming. 

It will also Honor the day both teams started playing the great sport of football. 

• Like 2

The oldest program if they where still around would be Mercer HS which is defunct they started football in the mid 1860s and closed in the early 1900s... 

If R.E Lee HS was still open it would be the oldest HSFB program in the state... 

The 10 oldest in GA in no specific order are:

Marietta HS-1899s

Woodward Academy 

Glynn Academy 

Richmond Academy

Valdosta HS 

Savannah HS 

Benedictine HS 

Gainesville HS

Dublin HS 

Thomasville HS

Benedictine is the oldest Public-Private rivalry in the state of GA. 

And it may be the only Public-Private rivalry. 

Both teams have an extensive OOS list: 

@Bormio  Gaffney has 1 win overall over the Savannah Schools 

Gaffney is 0-1 vs Savannah HS. They played the Blue Jackets once and lost 39-0 in the Reserve. They didnt make a return trip the following year. 

They're 1-3 vs Benedictine. 

32 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

2 of the oldest Programs in the state. 

The Savannah Blue Jackets and the Benedictine Catholic Cadets. This year both schools will be celebrating 110 years of Football 

HISTORY 

The Savannah Blue Jackets are the oldest Public school team in Savannah they fielded their first team in 1908. The Blue Jackets where stellar in the early 1900s. They beat teams from TN,SC,FL,Mexico,Cuba,NC and NY. 

Savannah has always played in the Highest class... until recently... 

THE BENEDICTINE CADETS

like Savannah, Benedictine  started in 1908 and had a rockier start than the Blue Jackets. Benedictine was founded by the Benedictine monks. As a Catholic Millitary school...(Its sort of still that in a sense) Benedictine much like their public rival have always played in the highest class since their founding.  

The Rivalry Begins. 

It was a hot August evening late in the afternoon around 7pm. Savannah HS played in a tough hard fought game against  Benedictine.  They beat the Cadets 11-0. 

Benedictine was not happy at all... 

Savannah played Benedictine 4 times in one season... 

Savannah won 3 out of 4 and tied 1 of them... 

That same season The Blue Jackets traveled down to Jacksonville,FL to play Duval HS where they beat the hell out of Duval 34-0. 

In 1910 Benedictine did the unthinkable and beat the Blue Jackets 5-0. 

The 1970s 

By the time the 70s rolled around more schools had opened and Savannah had expanded significantly. The rivalry was waning.  The talent for Savannah HS had been split amongst the privates and publics. 

Savannah Beach HS(1950)

Savannah Jenkins(1957)

Savannah Johnson(1959)

Windsor Forest (1968)

Arnold(1968)(Defunct)

Tompkins(1957)(Defunct)

Groves(Garden City)(1957)(God they shouldnt even be there...) 

This put a big dent in the talent pool  and the privates feasted on this. 

Savannah Christian(1970)

Savannah Country Day(1979)

Savannah Calvary Day(1973)

Where aspiring privates that attempted to dethrone Benedictine. 

Unfortunately none would succeed  

Benedictine Destroyed all the publics and privates that played them from the 50s-70s

Savannah HS as  mentioned before was suffering from having the talent pool split... and just couldnt keep up with Benedictine... 

They where getting blasted every year by Benedictine. 

And had a serious playoff drought to top it all off... 

Savannah had a serious rough patch from the 50s-80s... Benedictine and Savannah Christian where sucking all the real talent  out of the public loop... 

THE MODERN ERA(2000-2018)  

Benedictine is still kicking and have won 2 of the last 3 GA 2A state titles. Even when Benedictine was competing  with Camden County they where consistently having 10-12 win seasons. 

Savannah HS has not enjoyed the same success as stated before the ever exoanding publics are killing them. But recently Savannah HS has been. Showing signs of life in the past 3years they have went:

6-5

8-3

8-4

9-3 

That might not sound to good but once you see what theyve been through you'd honestly applaud it. 

The new HC gutted the program completely and started from scratch 

New staff,New Facillities and everything... 

The 100th meeting 

This year will be the 100th meeting between both schools. Despite both being 110 years old there where a few points where the 2 couldnt play including the last 6 years...  thanks to the 2012 GHSA realignment both schools where put into different classes:

Benedictine got moved to 2A and Savannah to 4A then they got dropped to 3A in 2014. 

But now both schools are in 3A in the same region. 

And will be playing each other for The Blue Jackets homecoming. 

It will also Honor the day both teams started playing the great sport of football. 

Whomever wrote dis musta been from CNN! ALWAYS been in the bigs? Neither has played in the bigs in more than a decade! And when Savannah DID play Camden, they petitioned to play UP! And I don't ever recall BC and Camden being in the same region! When BC was in the bigs, Camden was in the Bush Leagues! 

22 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

Whomever wrote dis musta been from CNN! ALWAYS been in the bigs? Neither has played in the bigs in more than a decade! And when Savannah DID play Camden, they petitioned to play UP! And I don't ever recall BC and Camden being in the same region! When BC was in the bigs, Camden was in the Bush Leagues! 

BC is 1-6 against Camden 

Benedictine and the Savannah schools have until 2012 always been in the highest class... 

Benedictine since the late 80s had been in the same region with Camden. 

The reason they hardly ever played is because the Savannah Region was huge. 

Back before 6A and 7A where created the 90s-2011 the Savannah region was split:

Group A:

Savannah HS

Benedictine HS 

Savannah Jenkins 

Windsor Forest 

Group B: 

Savannah Johnson 

Camden County 

Bradwell Institute 

Groves

There was one point where the teams couldnt all play each other because Glynn Academy and Brunswick where in the region 

So they had to cycle out region opponents... 

Just now, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

BC is 1-6 against Camden 

Benedictine and the Savannah schools have until 2012 always been in the highest class... 

Benedictine since the late 80s had been in the same region with Camden. 

The reason they hardly ever played is because the Savannah Region was huge. 

Back before 6A and 7A where created the 90s-2011 the Savannah region was split:

Group A:

Savannah HS

Benedictine HS 

Savannah Jenkins 

Windsor Forest 

Group B: 

Savannah Johnson 

Camden County 

Bradwell Institute 

Groves

There was one point where the teams couldnt all play each other because Glynn Academy and Brunswick where in the region 

C'MON Stinger! Camden hasn't always been in the bigs!

Did you know Savannah was 1-9 all time against Miami High? 

In fact the 3 South Florida counties (Dade, Broward and Palm Beach) have a great all time record against the state of Georgia. 

Georgia racks up countless wins over the last 100 plus years against defunct teams who don't exist and North Florida garbage. They do have some good and great wins over the years but for the most part it's a bunch of ISB-type teams 

18 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

In fact the 3 South Florida counties (Dade, Broward and Palm Beach) have a great all time record against the state of Georgia. 

Georgia racks up countless wins over the last 100 plus years against defunct teams who don't exist and North Florida garbage. They do have some good and great wins over the years but for the most part it's a bunch of ISB-type teams 

Yes. 

1-9 vs Miami. 

2-0 vs R.E Lee... 

What happened to Duval? 

And how many times have they played Miami?

33 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

But. You. Still. Suck.

Buford has beaten some of those "suck" Florida teams, one even has a Heisman trophy winner.... Yeah, those Florida teams "suck".

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

But. You. Still. Suck.

Buford has beaten some of those "suck" Florida teams, one even has a Heisman trophy winner.... Yeah, those Florida teams "suck".

North Georgia Rab I see. Delusional and doesn't bring all the context. You played fucking Yulee! Holy shit that's a low point in someone's life. 

And you beat Jax TC with your best team ever. They were the 6 best title team while Buford was 2nd. It would have been like St Thomas Aquinas bragging they beat freaking Calhoun 17-0! 

Georgia has way more wins with top teams against garbage than vice versa. Always been that way 

55 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

North Georgia Rab I see. Delusional and doesn't bring all the context. You played fucking Yulee! Holy shit that's a low point in someone's life. 

And you beat Jax TC with your best team ever. They were the 6 best title team while Buford was 2nd. It would have been like St Thomas Aquinas bragging they beat freaking Calhoun 17-0! 

Georgia has way more wins with top teams against garbage than vice versa. Always been that way 

Yup, warms my heart to see a loud mouth Cracker running his mouth, reminds me of home.

Buford is coming, hopefully sooner than later. And hopefully before the blue hair-white knuckles buick driving amusement park is complete.

Wouldn't want you to have any excuses. Would we?

Not a Rab, not a racist... detest that sumbitch.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Yup, warms my heart to see a loud mouth Cracker running his mouth, reminds me of home.

Buford is coming, hopefully sooner than later. And hopefully before the blue hair-white knuckles buick driving amusement park is complete.

Wouldn't want you to have any excuses. Would we?

Not a Rab, not a racist... detest that sumbitch.

Cracker ass cracker!!!!!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Damn right! You do know the origin of cracker, right? It’s a Florida term for cattle drovers back in the day, sound of the bull whip. Amazing that it’s a slur intended for whites. 

Yeah I always thought that cracker meant the person who would whip slaves. No joke. That's what I thought when I was young. I used to think black people were making fun of theirselves. I am white and grew up in predominantly black neighborhoods my entire youth and I heard the word a lot. Black people were cool with me because I was the token white guy who listened to rap and acted like Eminem. Lol. So I heard the word thrown around every day. Mostly it was to describe police.

(update) nowadays I hate Eminem, and rap died in the early 2000's 😂😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

Yeah I always thought that cracker meant the person who would whip slaves. No joke. That's what I thought when I was young. I used to think black people were making fun of theirselves. I am white and grew up in predominantly black neighborhoods my entire youth and I heard the word a lot. Black people were cool with me because I was the token white guy who listened to rap and acted like Eminem. Lol. So I heard the word thrown around every day. Mostly it was to describe police.

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

Well shit son, it’s a pleasure meeting you. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

They were in the same region as Camden. They were the last team to beat us in the old region 3 in 2000. Coach Herron's first year 9-7.

10 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

No. It wouldnt have been like that.

TC was ranked higher in FL than Calhoun was in GA. FLs good teams are spread out amongst all classes, where as most of GAs best teams are in the top classes.

It wouldve been like the #2 team in FL beating the #5 team in GA. Because thats what Buford vs TCA was. Calhoun was like 25th in GA. 

That is a shit comparison you just made and you know it.

7 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

No. It wouldnt have been like that.

TC was ranked higher in FL than Calhoun was in GA. FLs good teams are spread out amongst all classes, where as most of GAs best teams are in the top classes.

It wouldve been like the #2 team in FL beating the #5 team in GA. Because thats what Buford vs TCA was. Calhoun was like 25th in GA. 

That is a shit comparison you just made and you know it.

Using your analogy Nolebull... I guess when Grayson beat Miami Central in 2012... That was like Woodstock or Mountain View (both 2nd rd losers in 7A), beating Miami Northwestern or Venice this year... Since Grayson lost in the 2nd rd that year and MC won state.

For reference... Woodstock and MV were ranked in the 40s-50s this year. And MNW and Venice were your 2nd and 3rd best teams....