So Cal Arms Race

Sammyswordsman

Borrowed this from the SoCal boards, but brings up some interesting points

Elite football teams like a Bosco and MD face an interesting dilemma with their future choices in their arms race for talent.

Does MD, for instance, continue on their recent path of expanding their geographical footprint for elite players, super junior and senior transfers, as well as continuing the elevation of their middle school recruitment and development (i.e., JT studying with Money since elementary school) of their future stars?

Unlike basketball, there is no open division playoff for football right out of the gate. The risk these elite schools run is to get so much better for too long before the rest of the Southern Section ostracizes them. Football coaches are already getting plenty upset at the rising disparity.

I’m sure at least MD is smart enough to do the calculus right now in just how far they’ll push it and what the consequences might be.

My question is why not fully embrace it and push it even further, like a Bishop Gorman or IMG does, and simply structure your program essentially like a prep school and play a national schedule against top ranked teams like these other programs do?

You’d have Bosco, MD, IMG, Bishop Gorman, De La Salle, De Matha, Corona Centennial, Allen (Texas), Miami Central, etc. You could even create regional leagues and progress into a true national championship playoff.

I’m pretty confident you could get a major apparel company to sponsor it (Nike, Adidas or Under Armour), plus there would likely be a TV package too from either Fox or ESPN. Would easily offset the added expense for these programs.

Then allow them to recruit like how IMG already does without seemingly any restrictions.

Thoughts?

23 minutes ago, TheBlockIsHot said:

SoCal is a joke. Anyone can assemble all star teams.

The best schools do it with less. Most of these, reside in NorCal.

The North Geographically isn't populated the same. Meaning you don't have many cities next to each other with 100k+ in population in a 50 mile radius . What's east of folsom? Nothing, that's the reason transfers don't happen as often.

Just now, steeler01 said:

The North Geographically isn't populated the same. Meaning you don't have many cities next to each other with 100k+ in population in a 50 mile radius . What's east of folsom? Nothing, that's the reason transfers don't happen as often.

That is semi true.

But NorCal doesn't generally allow "athletically motivated" transfers in public schools. Privates are a free for all, but there aren't as many high profile ones, like in SoCal.

I like the NorCal model better.

23 minutes ago, TheBlockIsHot said:

That is part of it.

I think it's the major reason.

Counties like Dade, Broward, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Orange county are densely populated. Which allows for kids to move or transfer easily. 

Places like Cincinnati, Oh, have Cincinnati and then a bunch of space before you hit another city or town of 100k. 

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

I think it's the major reason.

Counties like Dade, Broward, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Orange county are densely populated. Which allows for kids to move or transfer easily. 

Places like Cincinnati, Oh, have Cincinnati and then a bunch of space before you hit another city or town of 100k. 

I wouldn't compare most places in NorCal to plaes in Ohio.

NorCal has two MAJOR metro areas in the Bay Area and Sacramento. It's not exactly small and rural all the way around.

18 minutes ago, TheBlockIsHot said:

I wouldn't compare most places in NorCal to plaes in Ohio.

NorCal has two MAJOR metro areas in the Bay Area and Sacramento. It's not exactly small and rural all the way around.

Saying the bay area is vague though. I wouldn't travel from Frisco to Concord for example.

Sacramento isn't much different. They have two good sized cities to the East, that don't have huge populations(Folsom and Rancho Cordova), Elk grove(Big population but they have 100 H.S.) to the South and Citrus Heights to the north. Nothing anywhere else close(Davis if you want to count them to the west). 

6 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Saying the bay area is vague though. I wouldn't travel from Frisco to Concord for example.

Sacramento isn't much different. They have two good sized cities to the East, that don't have huge populations(Folsom and Rancho Cordova), Elk grove(Big population but they have 100 H.S.) to the South and Citrus Heights to the north. Nothing anywhere else close(Davis if you want to count them to the west). 

You may not travel from Frisco to Concord, but DLS playas would!xD