There seems to be a constant narrative that college football players should be paid to play!

ORabidOne

12 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Doesn't title ix when they stated all sports have to be equal in terms of the number of men and women sports have to be equal....Well wouldn't pay come under that

No 

Title 9 only requires equal opportunity for sports

As in basketball is offered boys and girls 

Swimming boys and girls

Ect

Paying players could be passed on a sport by sport basis and since many sports only offer a partial it wouldn't apply

If title 9 worked as you are describing all sports would have to offer full scholarships which they do not 

What i have a issue with is the fact those Shitheads like Mark Emmerit can pocket millions but they will use unethical approaches to punish players for getting a little spending money to support their families, why the hell would anyone support a thug like Emmerit?

Keep in mind the scholarships are 1 YEAR RENEWAL so they can cut them whenever they choose just for the hell of it 

NCAA non profit my ass,  they make the NFL owners look like the pope when it comes to ethical behavior compared to those NCAA reps, or did people forget when NCAA tried to use a crook to get dirt on Miami players to hand down punishments or is that news too old for people to remember? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

The best way to handle this cash for athletes problem is to not give out athletic scholarships anymore and give them the amount it costs for tuition and books every year. And make them come out of pocket for their schooling 

And I'm sure there are plenty of other people more than willing to play for a free education than the people crying about $50-$100K worth of schooling they get for free. 

No one forces these kids to play high school ball, and no one forces them to agree to a scholarship. 

Already out of pocket even with full ride to power 5. 

Just now, Columbiafan said:

No 

Title 9 only requires equal opportunity for sports

As in basketball is offered boys and girls 

Swimming boys and girls

Ect

Paying players could be passed on a sport by sport basis and since many sports only offer a partial it wouldn't apply

If title 9 worked as you are describing all sports would have to offer full scholarships which they do not 

What i have a issue with is the fact those Shitheads like Mark Emmerit can pocket millions but they will use unethical approaches to punish players for getting a little spending money to support their families, why the hell would anyone support a thug like Emmerit?

Keep in mind the scholarships are 1 YEAR RENEWAL so they can cut them whenever they choose just for the hell of it 

NCAA non profit my ass,  they make the NFL owners look like the pope when it comes to ethical behavior compared to those NCAA reps, or did people forget when NCAA tried to use a crook to get dirt on Miami players to hand down punishments or is that news too old for people to remember? 

Ok yes this is how it was described last night. I got confused with the title ix requirements. But my stance on the NCAA remains what it is. Thank you for said explanation

11 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

The best way to handle this cash for athletes problem is to not give out athletic scholarships anymore and give them the amount it costs for tuition and books every year. And make them come out of pocket for their schooling 

And I'm sure there are plenty of other people more than willing to play for a free education than the people crying about $50-$100K worth of schooling they get for free. 

No one forces these kids to play high school ball, and no one forces them to agree to a scholarship. 

There are players who dream of being a NFL player 

Why should they have to wait 3 years to be eligible? Baseball players can go pro immediately, why?  Because NCAA don't make enough profit to care about them going pro

The rule is only in place to protect NCAA investments 

I'm fine with players not being paid but let them go pro whenever the hell they want to 

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

There are players who dream of being a NFL player 

Why should they have to wait 3 years to be eligible? Baseball players can go pro immediately, why?  Because NCAA don't make enough profit to care about them going pro

The rule is only in place to protect NCAA investments 

I'm fine with players not being paid but let them go pro whenever the hell they want to 

Basketball players can go pro. You can go play overseas

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Basketball players can go pro. You can go play overseas

Ain't that what the younger ball kids are doing currently? 

But regardless I'm fine with players not being paid but They should be able to go pro by choice 

Honestly i see a lot complaining that players in bowl games (or other games)  are taking plays off because they don't care and only using colleges to jump-start pro careers 

Well if they can go pro then you weed out the players who only looking for pro career and you end up with players playing college sports for the game so you end up with players who actually care about the college game

College basketball is a circus show with one and done rule,  if they just let ones wanting to go pro immediately do so they would have players who love the game playing instead 

7 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Ain't that what the younger ball kids are doing currently? 

But regardless I'm fine with players not being paid but They should be able to go pro by choice 

Honestly i see a lot complaining that players in bowl games (or other games)  are taking plays off because they don't care and only using colleges to jump-start pro careers 

Well if they can go pro then you weed out the players who only looking for pro career and you end up with players playing college sports for the game so you end up with players who actually care about the college game

College basketball is a circus show with one and done rule,  if they just let ones wanting to go pro immediately do so they would have players who love the game playing instead 

NBA made the one and done rule and I guess college basketball abides by it. Also this year tournament is going to be very good with several mid majors being able to make a run. I don't believe college basketball misses the ball brothers you went overseas. The one and done have hurt Kentucky this year. The ncaa wants you to get some kind of an education and so they dictate you need to go to school. You brought up baseball Idk why they can skip college and go directly to the pros. Needs to be looked at

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

NBA made the one and done rule and I guess college basketball abides by it. Also this year tournament is going to be very good with several mid majors being able to make a run. I don't believe college basketball misses the ball brothers you went overseas. The one and done have hurt Kentucky this year. The ncaa wants you to get some kind of an education and so they dictate you need to go to school. You brought up baseball Idk why they can skip college and go directly to the pros. Needs to be looked at

Only 2 sports offered by the NCAA are sports you can't immediately go pro 

Football and basketball 

I don't think it's a accident the rule is in place in the 2 sports the NCAA makes the most revenue from

If other sports made the revenue Those made they would have similar rules in place,  fact is those rules are in place to protect NCAA revenue so they can market players and make a profit,  ironic for a "non-profit" don't you think? 

Yes the NBA made the rule but don't think the NCAA wasn't in their ear wanting it

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

Football and basketball 

I don't think it's a accident the rule is in place in the 2 sports the NCAA makes the most revenue from

If other sports made the revenue Those made they would have similar rules in place,  fact is those rules are in place to protect NCAA revenue so they can market players and make a profit,  ironic for a "non-profit" don't you think? 

Yes the NBA made the rule but don't think the NCAA wasn't in their ear wanting it

But again with basketball thats not true. You cant go to the NBA directly out of HS. But there are professional leagues around the world. And so you can go pro right out of HS. Also in college football nothing says you have to go to college. Sit out for 3 years after HS then put your name in for the NFL draft. Go play rugby for a few years in australia or new zealand. Didnt a rugby player make the 49ers as a RB. Just saying there are several loop holes around the whole cant go pro thing. I think if you ask the majority of college football and basketball players they would say they love their time with their teammates and playing in front of them. 

But again with basketball thats not true. You cant go to the NBA directly out of HS. But there are professional leagues around the world. And so you can go pro right out of HS. Also in college football nothing says you have to go to college. Sit out for 3 years after HS then put your name in for the NFL draft. Go play rugby for a few years in australia or new zealand. Didnt a rugby player make the 49ers as a RB. Just saying there are several loop holes around the whole cant go pro thing. I think if you ask the majority of college football and basketball players they would say they love their time with their teammates and playing in front of them. 

Could some issues be fixed with a development football league like basketball used to (or may still have, i usually only watch NBA come playoffs)

Then players who are fully focused on just being pro can go there and ones who want to play college will have more opportunities and wouldn't be sitting the bench for a all star looking for first chance to declare

And while you're not required to go college to become a pro athlete it is a detriment if they try to sit out three years

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

Could some issues be fixed with a development football league like basketball used to (or may still have, i usually only watch NBA come playoffs)

Then players who are fully focused on just being pro can go there and ones who want to play college will have more opportunities and wouldn't be sitting the bench for a all star looking for first chance to declare

And while you're not required to go college to become a pro athlete it is a detriment if they try to sit out three years

NBA has a D league. And those are the risks you take. But in the words of GSB you are a STUDENT before you are anything. 

5 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Maybe but i doubt you will find any players who feels warm hearted towards the NCAA 

Where there's smoke there probably is a fire and there has been smoke around NCAA for years now 

NBA has a D league. And those are the risks you take. But in the words of GSB you are a STUDENT before you are anything. 

So why not allow football the same thing 

I agree it's their risk and What i would do is allow them to go to development league whenever but they sign a contract that if it doesn't work they are ineligible to play college sports,  that way if it works congrats. If not then it basically ends playing road

I don't see a negative to that honestly but maybe other eyes will spot something I missed in it

Maybe but i doubt you will find any players who feels warm hearted towards the NCAA 

Where there's smoke there probably is a fire and there has been smoke around NCAA for years now 

Im sorry but i dont feel sorry for them. When you get a 100-200k free education with no loans at the end of the day. Its very hard to feel sorry for them. Im still paying off student loans 10 years later. So again I do side with the NCAA. Their product makes sense. Like i said the only change i can get behind is letting players transfer if they see fit. 

So why not allow football the same thing 

I agree it's their risk and What i would do is allow them to go to development league whenever but they sign a contract that if it doesn't work they are ineligible to play college sports,  that way if it works congrats. If not then it basically ends playing road

I don't see a negative to that honestly but maybe other eyes will spot something I missed in it

Actually there was somewhat of a developmental league for football. Check out the Hudson Valley Fort football. They played in 2015. Im not sure if it worked out. Thats how it works in baseball. Once you sign your pro contract you cant go play college sports. And if you look at baseball its very hard to make it. Appel the #1 overall pick out of Stanford. Got drafted by the astros. I believe only made it couple of years and has been released. 

Im sorry but i dont feel sorry for them. When you get a 100-200k free education with no loans at the end of the day. Its very hard to feel sorry for them. Im still paying off student loans 10 years later. So again I do side with the NCAA. Their product makes sense. Like i said the only change i can get behind is letting players transfer if they see fit. 

Actually if they cut their scholarship they either have to drop out and go somewhere else or they accumulate debt by staying at the university 

Why should the extra revenue go to a thug like emmerit, the extra revenue should go to the schools

NCAA supposed to be a enforcement organization not collect millions in revenue 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Actually there was somewhat of a developmental league for football. Check out the Hudson Valley Fort football. They played in 2015. Im not sure if it worked out. Thats how it works in baseball. Once you sign your pro contract you cant go play college sports. And if you look at baseball its very hard to make it. Appel the #1 overall pick out of Stanford. Got drafted by the astros. I believe only made it couple of years and has been released. 

Is that only one team or is it a league? 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

it was a league. There were 6 teams it looks like

Is it still active? 

If so i would hope that it succeeds so it would let players who full focus is going pro have a alternate that has a history of success while still letting players who want to play college play the status quo 

Is it still active? 

If so i would hope that it succeeds so it would let players who full focus is going pro have a alternate that has a history of success while still letting players who want to play college play the status quo 

Nope. Lasted 1 year and died. 

17 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Football and basketball 

They are also the 2 sports due to numbers and athletic requirements you are most likely to get hurt in.  The idea behind the delay entry after high school was an attempt to give the players a chance to physically mature some.  Do you really want to take a high school grad and dump them in the NFL?  The injuries would skyrocket.  There was a kid from South Gwinnett that immediately went to the NBA.  I don't remember his name as I'm not a basketball fan.  I think but am not sure that he was the last or one of the last before the NBA instituted the at least one year wait.

The other big issue is as someone said, the pro leagues want you to have something to fall back on when you can't play ball any more.  I think the average NFL carrer is something around 3 years.  You have to have played in at least one game for 4 or 5 years to be eligible for the NFL retirement.  There are too many stories of kids going into pro sports and bombing out shortly with no resources to carry them the rest of their lives.

• Like 1

Just now, Fred said:

They are also the 2 sports due to numbers and athletic requirements you are most likely to get hurt in.  The idea behind the delay entry after high school was an attempt to give the players a chance to physically mature some.  Do you really want to take a high school grad and dump them in the NFL?  The injuries would skyrocket.  There was a kid from South Gwinnett that immediately went to the NBA.  I don't remember his name as I'm not a basketball fan.  I think but am not sure that he was the last or one of the last before the NBA instituted the at least one year wait.

The other big issue is as someone said, the pro leagues want you to have something to fall back on when you can't play ball any more.  I think the average NFL carrer is something around 3 years.  You have to have played in at least one game for 4 or 5 years to be eligible for the NFL retirement.  There are too many stories of kids going into pro sports and bombing out shortly with no resources to carry them the rest of their lives.

That was me

1 minute ago, Fred said:

I get that but it's their risk to take 

Also remember LeBron and Kobe went out of high school and both are hall of fame players

It all depends how you adjust,  I would be ok if the NFL would just establish a development league, kinda how baseball has single,  double and triple A and how basketball has D league 

That way it's up to organization to decide when a player is ready 

4 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I get that but it's their risk to take 

Also remember LeBron and Kobe went out of high school and both are hall of fame players

It all depends how you adjust,  I would be ok if the NFL would just establish a development league, kinda how baseball has single,  double and triple A and how basketball has D league 

That way it's up to organization to decide when a player is ready 

Best player to ever play the game came out of college...MJ :) . Could argue that football is very different when it comes to being mature and physical enough to play in the NFL compared to the NBA MLB etc

Best player to ever play the game came out of college...MJ :) 

Would you really be against the nfl having a development league? 

Would that really hurt anyone, heck there are players who stay free agents because teams don't have a place for them

They can let them in the league as well 

I don't see the harm