There seems to be a constant narrative that college football players should be paid to play!

ORabidOne

My question is WHY? Are they NOT STUDENT athletes? Are they not given a full ride plus 'laundry money', to a given university, just for playing a sport that they love? And it's not like this amount given for tuition is crumbs! In many cases, this tuition could be a $150,000 or more, for four or five years! SEEMS as though this is an ample amount to garner a given athletes services! That is, unless getting an education is NOT why they are there! Many of these athletes are sold a bill of goods coming out of high school! That they will be the next great destined for the NFL! And they view college as a mere opportunity to showcase their skills for the next level! But TRUTH be known, FEW of these kids will ever get the opportunity to suit up for a pro team! Point of fact, there are probably more than 300 DI colleges who field football teams! And, I believe that there are 30 draft picks times seven rounds! If true, that's a mere 210 picks from 300 schools! Not even one per school! And couple that, with the fact that schools such as Georgia and Alabama, routinely have ten or more draft picks by themselves! The remaining possibilities grow even smaller! I think that that's precisely why we see so small of a graduation rate in a given season! Kids are there for one reason, and one reason only! And a vast majority fall short of their goal, and are left as college dropouts! But if college IS pay to play, lets just call it for what it is! A farm club for the NFL, and let the NFL foot the bill!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Also SEC pulled in 41 million to each member school year on television revenue. 

Big Ten 33 million. 

College sports Big Big fucking business off the backs of amateurs. 

College coaches are paid insanely and can go anywhere whereas athletes are restricted to where and what schools. 

Yep college coached are doing a job and get paid for it. Student athletes are not there in a job sense. They are there to get an education and play sports but first focus education. That's the only I wanna see changed. Let the kid transfer where ever he wants. That's the only change I can get behind. 

14 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Also SEC pulled in 41 million to each member school year on television revenue. 

Big Ten 33 million. 

College sports Big Big fucking business off the backs of amateurs. 

College coaches are paid insanely and can go anywhere whereas athletes are restricted to where and what schools. 

Okeedokee, I'll bite! HOW MUCH is ENOUGH? $5,000, $10,000, $100,000 a year? And WHO gets WHAT? You know as well as I, the amount they give the playas will NEVER be enough!

1 minute ago, ORabidOne said:

Okeedokee, I'll bite! HOW MUCH is ENOUGH? $5,000, $10,000, $100,000 a year? And WHO gets WHAT? You know as well as I, the amount they give the playas will NEVER be enough!

Remember too you pay football you have to pay every single sport. That includes tennis swimming etc etc. And it all has to be equal

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORabidOne said:

Okeedokee, I'll bite! HOW MUCH is ENOUGH? $5,000, $10,000, $100,000? a year? And WHO gets WHAT? You know as well as I, the amount the give the playas will NEVER be enough!

Right now the Power 5 are passing out pittance checks of $5k for the school year if you’re commute is over 4 hours home. 

Good question... haven’t given that much thought to a dollar amount. 

Scholly money pays very little outside of university housing and the housing situation on campus sucks so factor that shit in. Expensive in Nashville for damn sure, little bullshit one bedroom next to campus $1600... scholly pays out under a grand a month and you got utilities and groceries and essentials better hope your car doesn’t break down. 

5 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Remember too you pay football you have to pay every single sport. That includes tennis swimming etc etc. And it all has to be equal

No.  All you have to do is make sure there is parity between male and female athletes playing the same sport.  You can treat different sports differently.  Heck, they do all the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

No you don’t those sports make zero 💴 for the school in fact if it wasn’t for football and basketball those sports wouldn’t exist 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ararar said:

No you don’t those sports make zero 💴 for the school in fact if it wasn’t for football and basketball those sports wouldn’t exist 

Doesn't title ix when they stated all sports have to be equal in terms of the number of men and women sports have to be equal....Well wouldn't pay come under that