There seems to be a constant narrative that college football players should be paid to play!

ORabidOne

Just now, Columbiafan said:

Would you really be against the nfl having a development league? 

Would that really hurt anyone, heck there are players who stay free agents because teams don't have a place for them

They can let them in the league as well 

I don't see the harm 

I wouldnt mind it after they come out of college. if they dont stick with a team players can go to a developmental league. College and the NFL are completely seperate league that play the game very differently and that is very obvious to anyone who watches both. College coaches dont necessarily get their players ready for the NFL they are there to win at the college level. The biggest level of dropoff is at the QB position due to college being so much different than the NFL in terms of Qbs in college away with using their legs....Lamar Jackson RG3 Geno Smith even a guy like Manziel who even without the off the field issues I dont believe would have stayed in the league. 

7 hours ago, Ararar said:

Here’s some real facts for you.postulate on it

17DCFAB7-4657-47D1-947F-217333FDC522.png

Here are some real numbers for you to chew on.  4,583 colleges and universities in US.  744 have football teams.  130 are FBS and 125 are FCS.  My statement was about schools in general and you chose to pick a very small subset of the total to attempt to prove your point.  Using your numbers, FBS Division 1 schools generated $3.9 billion for whatever year your chart is supposed to represent.  Here are just a few of the high runners in FBS.

Alabama $108 million
U Texas $121 million
Penn State $70 million
Notre Dame $64 million
Ohio State $64 million
U Michigan  $63 million
U Georgia $77 million 2014

Withe the exception of Georgia, the other numbers were from 2016 I think.  That's a total of north of $560 million in just 7 schools and I left out many other high revenue programs like LSU, USC, UCLA, etc.  My point is that there are 20+/- programs that make up the lion's share of the revenue even in D1.  The rest have much lower revenue.  Note as well, these numbers are based on revenue and not profit/surplus available to support other sports.  Without looking it up as I don't have the time nor really the interest, the profit number would really tell the story.  Again, once you get away from the high runners of which there are relatively few as compared to the whole, football is not the cash cow for the entirety of the college and university population you try to present it as.

I've got lots to do today and this weekend so I won't be back to carry on here.  Have a great weekend!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I get that but it's their risk to take

Also remember LeBron and Kobe went out of high school and both are hall of fame players

It all depends how you adjust,  I would be ok if the NFL would just establish a development league, kinda how baseball has single,  double and triple A and how basketball has D league

That way it's up to organization to decide when a player is ready 

You can't pick one or two players out of a population of thousands to prove your point.  There are always outliers that are the exception to the more general rule.

49 minutes ago, Fred said:

Here are some real numbers for you to chew on.  4,583 colleges and universities in US.  744 have football teams.  130 are FBS and 125 are FCS.  My statement was about schools in general and you chose to pick a very small subset of the total to attempt to prove your point.  Using your numbers, FBS Division 1 schools generated $3.9 billion for whatever year your chart is supposed to represent.  Here are just a few of the high runners in FBS.

Alabama $108 million
U Texas $121 million
Penn State $70 million
Notre Dame $64 million
Ohio State $64 million
U Michigan  $63 million

Withe the exception of Georgia, the other numbers were from 2016 I think.  That's a total of north of $560 million in just 7 schools and I left out many other high revenue programs like LSU, USC, UCLA, etc.  My point is that there are 20+/- programs that make up the lion's share of the revenue even in D1.  The rest have much lower revenue.  Note as well, these numbers are based on revenue and not profit/surplus available to support other sports.  Without looking it up as I don't have the time nor really the interest, the profit number would really tell the story.  Again, once you get away from the high runners of which there are relatively few as compared to the whole, football is not the cash cow for the entirety of the college and university population you try to present it as.

I've got lots to do today and this weekend so I won't be back to carry on here.  Have a great weekend!

The chart shows the average revenue for FBS-1 and since these are the schools who will pay its the only relevant revenue.Im sure Dlll has every sport listed for Dl right? 

19 hours ago, Ararar said:

No you don’t those sports make zero 💴 for the school in fact if it wasn’t for football and basketball those sports wouldn’t exist 

That was his point

thise sports make zero money for the school and therefore iPso facto are subsidized by the revenue sports — reduce the profits from revenue sports and those sports are likely eliminated 

20 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Didn’t read all of it because I’m of the opinion that the NCAA is making money hand over fist. 

There’s more....

Gonna stop there....

Revisit later.... good topic, lot of different tangential discussions that will tie in. 

Agree 100%.  NCAA uses their football student athletes to make millions on top of millions and they say here boy take the 50 bucks meal money per month and make it last. And Lord forbid if your parents or family or friends buy you a meal or 2 or give you grocery money because if they do then you're busted!!!  I hate the NCAA and what they have become. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Yep college coached are doing a job and get paid for it. Student athletes are not there in a job sense. They are there to get an education and play sports but first focus education. That's the only I wanna see changed. Let the kid transfer where ever he wants. That's the only change I can get behind. 

Yeah the coaches really don't make any unreasonable demands of your time.  I'm sure they say "son please make sure you go to all your classes and do all of your 3 hours worth of homework first before you come to practice.".  

19 hours ago, Ararar said:

No you don’t those sports make zero 💴 for the school in fact if it wasn’t for football and basketball those sports wouldn’t exist 

Swimming?  LOL.  Isn't that a summer recreation?  ONLY football and Basketball should get paid.  The rest like "swimming"  ROTFLMAO can be happy with getting a cut of the money football makes to keep those speedos coming in.  Do you have to pay to go watch a swimming thing?  Never went to one in college.  

14 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Agree 100%.  NCAA uses their football student athletes to make millions on top of millions and they say here boy take the 50 bucks meal money per month and make it last. And Lord forbid if your parents or family or friends buy you a meal or 2 or give you grocery money because if they do then you're busted!!!  I hate the NCAA and what they have become. 

Mark emmerit ain't missing no meals that's for sure 

He rides his private jet without a care in the world 

I doubt he even played college athletics

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Yeah the coaches really don't make any unreasonable demands of your time.  I'm sure they say "son please make sure you go to all your classes and do all of your 3 hours worth of homework first before you come to practice.".  

Not only that 

If you tried to take a job to pay for services (the same services other students can be given no penalty) they will cut them and say "too bad, you can starve now Since your useless to us"

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

The best way to handle this cash for athletes problem is to not give out athletic scholarships anymore and give them the amount it costs for tuition and books every year. And make them come out of pocket for their schooling 

And I'm sure there are plenty of other people more than willing to play for a free education than the people crying about $50-$100K worth of schooling they get for free. 

No one forces these kids to play high school ball, and no one forces them to agree to a scholarship. 

If this were to happen then you get a bunch of shitty ass football players.  I say leave it to each college to pay the players or not.  Something tells me the school that pays and gives them schollies would be curb stomp your team filled with guys who play for the free education.  You know, your team with guys that are not forced to play high school ball nor forced to agree to a scholarship.   

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

Dude as an athlete you get first crack at your schedule. Your advisor know your schedule. 

2 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Check this out Padre, large group of people even on this forum think “ be grateful, you’re getting your schooling paid for” well yes but that’s true but these athletes are owned by these programs, yeah there’s 20 hours of practice but you have school work, community work orchestrated by the team, recruiting when recruits come in. It’s more than a full time job. 

NCAA has it down and are killing it, television revenue, the power five have their own networks apparel, shoe endorsement etc. 

Clearly I’m in the wrong line of work!

Hahaha. 

2 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

If this were to happen then you get a bunch of shitty ass football players.  I say leave it to each college to pay the players or not.  Something tells me the school that pays and gives them schollies would be curb stomp your team filled with guys who play for the free education.  You know, your team with guys that are not forced to play high school ball nor forced to agree to a scholarship.   

NoleBull is brainwashed by the system. 

Hahaha... forget about convincing him, he needs to find it on his own. 

@HSFBfan, is another...  “NCAA was good to me and my brother.”

What?!? 😳😳😳

4 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

What?!? 😳😳😳

Yes they were. I have absolutely nothing against the ncaa. They run a great product. I absolutely support the NCAA

8 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Check this out Padre, large group of people even on this forum think “ be grateful, you’re getting your schooling paid for” well yes but that’s true but these athletes are owned by these programs, yeah there’s 20 hours of practice but you have school work, community work orchestrated by the team, recruiting when recruits come in. It’s more than a full time job. 

NCAA has it down and are killed by, television revenue, the power five have their own networks apparel, shoe endorsement etc. 

Hahaha. 

School work for liberal arts lmaooooooo. Most majors are absolutely BS. I was. Criminal justice major it didn't take any effort to graduate 

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Yes they were. I have absolutely nothing against the ncaa. They run a great product. I absolutely support the NCAA

You contributed and get nothing, while the fat cats are set for life watching girls raped, assaulted others ruined for life 

Yup, keep drinking the koolaid dum dum. 

Dont bother answering. Watching Get Out. 

20 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

NCAA has it down and are killing it, television revenue, the power five have their own networks apparel, shoe endorsement etc. 

Hahaha. 

Well stated brother. They have their hands in everybodies pockets . And it's totally "legal".

18 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

What?!? 😳😳😳

Hahaha!!! They are just followers of Trump so you know they are brainwashed and don't read or do their own research. They get their news from one channel for God sakes. Lol!!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fred said:

Alabama $108 million
U Texas $121 million
Penn State $70 million
Notre Dame $64 million
Ohio State $64 million
U Michigan  $63 million

Where ya gonna be, recruiting for Grayson?

11 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

There are players who dream of being a NFL player 

Why should they have to wait 3 years to be eligible? Baseball players can go pro immediately, why?  Because NCAA don't make enough profit to care about them going pro

The rule is only in place to protect NCAA investments 

I'm fine with players not being paid but let them go pro whenever the hell they want to 

I don't think that that's correct! Baseibol and football playas hafta wait til their Junior years! That's why many baseball prospects go JUCO, so they don't hafta wait three seasons!

1 hour ago, ORabidOne said:

I don't think that that's correct! Baseibol and football playas hafta wait til their Junior years! That's why many baseball prospects go JUCO, so they don't hafta wait three seasons!

No only football players have to wait 3 years

Basketball can go pro after 1 year out of high school 

Baseball and hockey you can go pro right out of high school 

2 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

I suggest you watch ESPN 30 for 30 about university of Miami part 2

You can see how unethical the NCAA is and why they need to be abolished 

Nothing but thugs running that organization