Should Parents be Arrested if Kids Miss School?

BUFORDGAWOLVES

17 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I’d say they should get arrested after like 30 days of missed school days ... kids have to go to school a mandatory of over 180 days I think it is......

5 misses is like 1 every 2 months which is kind of nuts to arrest them for

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

The question you ask is worth thought, discussion. The actions of this school system in Tennessee is ridiculous. 

A child missing from school requires the parent and school to work in unison not in conflict to result in the most favorable resolution. 

1 hour ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

I’d say they should get arrested after like 30 days of missed school days ... kids have to go to school a mandatory of over 180 days I think it is......

5 misses is like 1 every 2 months which is kind of nuts to arrest them for

The state rule here in NY is this.....the school has to give 180 educational days. Nothing says that a student has to be there for 180 days. Now if they miss 20 consecutive days they can be kicked out of school.

@LiberalDonaldTrumpAnd just to add this only applies to public schools due to state funding.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

So, the kids are missing school and the answer is to arrest the parent(s)? Seems to me if the kids are already missing school, that is symptomatic of things not being right at home. And the solution is to arrest the parents? Is that going to solve the problem? What is going to happen to the child when they are arrested? Homeless? Shifted to a distant relative, assuming any are willing and able to take them? Put into foster care? 

What amazes me about this country and its citizens is how decisions are made without any kind of serious thought. If a kid is routinely missing school, a more rational approach would be to determine why. If it is due to parental neglect, then, perhaps, for the good of the child he/she should be removed from the parents home by the courts. If there is some other issue at play, then seek another solution. Arresting parents should be restricted only to situations of serious child abuse or neglect. 

I thought conservatives wanted to remove the yolk of government from the backs of the people.  And yet, in deep red state, Tennessee, parents are to be arrested for not sending their children to school? Something seems profoundly ironic here to me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

So, the kids are missing school and the answer is to arrest the parent(s)? Seems to me if the kids are already missing school, that is symptomatic of things not being right at home. And the solution is to arrest the parents? Is that going to solve the problem? What is going to happen to the child when they are arrested? Homeless? Shifted to a distant relative, assuming any are willing and able to take them? Put into foster care? 

What amazes me about this country and its citizens is how decisions are made without any kind of serious thought. If a kid is routinely missing school, a more rational approach would be to determine why. If it is due to parental neglect, then, perhaps, for the good of the child he/she should be removed from the parents home by the courts. If there is some other issue at play, then seek another solution. Arresting parents should be restricted only to situations of serious child abuse or neglect. 

I thought conservatives wanted to remove the yolk of government from the backs of the people.  And yet, in deep red state, Tennessee, parents are to be arrested for not sending their children to school? Something seems profoundly ironic here to me. 

It shouldn't be a surprise

Politicians are full of hypocrisy and frauds so it only makes sense the conservative party would want to claim they want limited government involvement then decide to do something completely different when it comes time to stand by the principles 

Sad thing is i would think maybe a honest politician would garner a ton of support if their was one out there but they probably wouldn't make it out of the primaries 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Politicians are full of hypocrisy and frauds so it only makes sense the conservative party would want to claim they want limited government involvement then decide to do something completely different when it comes time to stand by the principles 

Sad but true. You would think that if a kid is missing a lot of school the rational thing would be to try and resolve this issue to give the kid a fighting chance at life. Punishing the parents without doing anything for the well being of the child does not give the child a fighting chance at success in life! 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Sad but true. You would think that if a kid is missing a lot of school the rational thing would be to try and resolve this issue to give the kid a fighting chance at life. Punishing the parents without doing anything for the well being of the child does not give the child a fighting chance at success in life! 

I do agree Darter. Yes parents are in charge of taking care of their kids but if for whatever they are deemed unfit and the kids are taken away there has to be some sort of recourse for the child. You cant just throw the kid out in the wind and than when said child fails its societies fault.

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I do agree Darter. Yes parents are in charge of taking care of their kids but if for whatever they are deemed unfit and the kids are taken away there has to be some sort of recourse for the child. You cant just throw the kid out in the wind and than when said child fails its societies fault.

Guess the politicians hope by the time things go ugly from their decision making they will have already collected their cash and gotten out of office

This political system is broken because of greed and power hungry morons 

Maybe it's time for a government getting cleaned up from top to bottom 

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

Guess the politicians hope by the time things go ugly from their decision making they will have already collected their cash and gotten out of office

This political system is broken because of greed and power hungry morons 

Maybe it's time for a government getting cleaned up from top to bottom 

On certain issues yes you could be right. I think yes there is a rush to judgement to take these parents away from their kids. I dont know the right answer to this situation but its sad. You would think that there are far worse situations for taking the kids away than this

13 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Logical response.

It saddens me that so many decisions are made that seem totally lacking in logic. When my mother was a child, her mother routinely kept her from going to school on Fridays. Why? My grandmother was a higgler. She, and her husband, depended on the income she earned from buying stuff at the market, which she would then retail in the little storefront shop she maintained in her community. Her husband's income, earned from being a kitchen assistant at the Myrtle Bank Hotel, was just not enough to maintain a household with nine children.  Friday was market day. As her oldest child, my mother was expected to get up at 3 am in the morning and accompany her to the market so she could assist her in bringing the food supplies purchased home. This process took the entire morning. So school on Friday was not possible without the home falling apart. 

Now it is an indictment on society as existed in Jamaica at that time that my mother was deprived of an education because of her circumstances, as her schooling ended at the 7th grade level. For surely she was as intelligent as me. But under the circumstances, if applied to the discussion at hand, her hardworking parents, who were doing their best to keep a family intact, would have been arrested in Tennessee? Please. Give me a break! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sportsnut said:

Some would have no knowledge of such things as what it was like for certain people to make due. Those people are not hard to find. Their thoughts tell on them. As an analogy, I give you the Klan burning a cross in my next door neighbors yard when I was 10. Many won't think that has anything to do with how I feel today. Unimaginable for them so they don't see the logic behind my thoughts and feelings.

I know what you mean because my mom was the oldest girl of 8 and she had to forgo her education for the same reason, to help grandma and grand dad hold it together in the 50's. 

It takes an exceptional human being to have understanding of another's situation when they have not walked in their shoes (or had close relatives or friends that walked there). 

I guess Jesus on the cross summed it up best, "Forgive them Lord, they know not what they do."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

It takes an exceptional human being to have understanding of another's situation when they have not walked in their shoes (or had close relatives or friends that walked there). 

I guess Jesus on the cross summed it up best, "Forgive them Lord, they know not what they do."

I think exceptional is a bit lofty.  Mostly everyone has the ability to develop empathy if it isn't a natural part of who they are.  It only takes effort.  I agree it is easier for some for sure.  Some are wired differently.  

To me It takes an exceptional person to not to try to empathize.  Exceptionally stubborn.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I think exceptional is a bit lofty.  Mostly everyone has the ability to develop empathy if it isn't a natural part of who they are.  It only takes effort.  I agree it is easier for some for sure.  Some are wired differently.  

To me It takes an exceptional person to not to try to empathize.  Exceptionally stubborn.  

I hope you are right, but believe you are not. If you are, I suspect we would have a better world. 

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I hope you are right, but believe you are not. If you are, I suspect we would have a better world. 

If the world is our evidence then I am wrong.  If a persons ability to be empathetic but chooses to not try bc their emotional response to others makes it difficult, then I may be right.  

However, what is, is.  So I'll agree with you but with an eye on what easily could be.  

6 hours ago, World Citizen said:

If the world is our evidence then I am wrong.  If a persons ability to be empathetic but chooses to not try bc their emotional response to others makes it difficult, then I may be right.  

However, what is, is.  So I'll agree with you but with an eye on what easily could be.  

Actually, I do agree that most of us have the capacity to be empathetic. However, for whatever reason, we don't develop it. So we are not far off in how we see things. 

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Actually, I do agree that most of use have the capacity to be empathetic. However, for whatever reason, we don't develop it. So we are not far off in how we see things. 

Yeah we are seeing things the same I think.  Its the 'whatever the reason' thing we both recognize is absent.  I just don't think it requires an exceptional person in order to close that gap.  But for some it may take an exceptional effort.