All time tournament

Columbiafan

16 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

I dont even see Manatee ranked in the USAToday Top 25 in 1985... Howd they get in the tourney...

Good question 

When i was filling this bracket out i wasn't doing the same rule that i had used in the national tournament where all states were represented so because of that unless i found a team by luck who was good or someone brought them up then my focus went towards the power states to fill a lot of spots

So FL, GA, TX, CA, OH and NJ ended up with a good majority of the teams qualifying 

Because of this i started a thread asking for the best FL teams over on the FL board so i could fill in a few spots,  kinda like when i did the same for Texas, GA and CA 

Anyway manatee was picked as the best FL team that year and they were added in

While a few teams aren't necessarily contenders to win the entire thing we don't need every team in the tournament to be world beaters

55 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

So again

Matchup is 1985 Escambia vs 1988 Dallas Carter 

On second thought I'm gonna let escambia fill in for manatee 

I'm more interested in that matchup anyway

Just now, ECHS05 said:

I hope you got Clarke Central GA in 1985! USAToday #3...

Just looked and saw Derek Dooley played on that team...

Yeah they are,  in fact they are cross matchup for this game so if they win their first game they would face winner of this game in round 2

57 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Give me Dallas Carter over Escambia.... Closer than one may think.

From what i read on Dallas Carter they mainly were loaded on defense but their scheme at the time was a good run stopping defense which makes Escambia a good matchup for them because Escambia at the time built around Emmitt Smith running but I don't know if Escambia could score enough even though Dallas Carter offense was relatively basic 

19 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

The thing though is I don't think we need to rush it and i generally like using more teams because it gives more discussion and in any tournament lts good to have what i like to call wild cards but at end of day a team like Mater Dei from this past year probably makes semifinals or finals regardless of how many teams are in the tournament so I don't see a issue with having more teams 

I understand 

you’re seeding the tournament with maybe the 10 best teams and a lot of other good ones but may not be top 500 in last 33 years

will peoduce more discussion than some teams that no one is going to vouch for 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

25-50 yards, Emmitt needs a line, like what he had in Dallas.

Did Escambia have a line?

I'm not sure honestly lol

I know they basically just handed him the ball and let him go so the offensive line was accustomed to running the ball but that doesn't answer if they were a elite line or not 

12 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I'm not sure honestly lol

I know they basically just handed him the ball and let him go so the offensive line was accustomed to running the ball but that doesn't answer if they were a elite line or not 

If there was a definition of luck and being truly blessed it was Emmitt Smith, he didn't strike me to be as good as he thought he was.

Comparatively, Barry Sanders would run around for 90 yards to get a first down, the Detroit line was that bad.... put Sanders behind the Dallas line he would've got the record and still retire early.

Hopefully, someone remembers that Escambia line that could bring texture to this discussion.

Carter was big, fast, strong and that athleticism allowed them to make up space created by play execution or error.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

This seems to be a matchup of Emmitt Smith vs a very talent loaded defense

How many yards you think he would have gotten on this defense? 

I have to agree with BUFORD on this. 50 yards sounds about right. If Sanders had the Cowboys line he might’ve racked up 30,000 yards in his career. Lol