Taking a trip down memory lane

FootballGuy

2 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

I know Camden lost this game, but this was one of the best high school games I've seen. Aquinas had a great team in 2010, but I was still very impressed with Camden's resiliency in this game. Surprisingly, this was STA's "closest" game all year. 

Camden beat Miami Central 45-42. And lost to STA 42-28 this season.

Camdens backfield was exposed by both teams. Of course these were the top 2 teams in FL so they would've exposed most anyone.

Edited by ECHS05

18 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Camdens backfield was exposed by both teams. Of course these were the top 2 teams in FL so they would've exposed most anyone.

I just LOL'd...

Camden Co. is ranked #1132 at CalPreps in 2010.

Wish the Camden vs Miami Central game had highlights like this...

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

I thought camden was gonna win, but that fumble in the red zone did them in. And the camden coaches had no business leaving their corners (especially a young jj green) on an island with Dorsett and Greene. 

5 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

I thought camden was gonna win, but that fumble in the red zone did them in. And the camden coaches had no business leaving their corners (especially a young jj green) on an island with Dorsett and Greene. 

Ya, as talented as JJ Green was, he was still an inexperienced 5'6"-ish 10th grader going against NFL WRs in space...

I thought Camden was going to win also for a while, but they had a few fumbles at inopportune moments that killed their momentum a few times. And this STA team finished #2 or better in every poll.

4 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Ya, as talented as JJ Green was, he was still an inexperienced 5'6"-ish 10th grader going against NFL WRs in space...

I thought Camden was going to win also for a while, but they had a few fumbles at inopportune moments that killed their momentum a few times. And this STA team finished #2 or better in every poll.

I thought STA won a natty in 2010? I know South Panola won it in some other polls, but I coulda sworn STA won it in one of the polls. Help me out @954gator and @golfaddict1.... did aquinas win a mnc in 2010? 

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

I thought STA won a natty in 2010? I know South Panola won it in some other polls, but I coulda sworn STA won it in one of the polls. Help me out @954gator and @golfaddict1.... did aquinas win a mnc in 2010? 

Ya STA won it too... Thats why I said #2 or better.

South Panola won Rivals(DJ), USAToday, & MaxPreps Xcellent25....

STA won ESPN(when they still did a poll), and PrepNation

DLS won CalPreps, but now St. Edward OH is #1 in 2010 at CP after Ned did some scaling work.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

I just LOL'd...

Camden Co. is ranked #1132 at CalPreps in 2010.

Wish the Camden vs Miami Central game had highlights like this...

They’ll always be #847 to me (pre 2017 all years correction) :).   I was at the game and it was at one point in the 3rd a very close game, but turnovers can really hurt and STA’s running game finally started to work late in the game and that mix with the passing game with the talented duo had CC in trouble on D.  CC was running the ball primarily on their final drive score from what I recall.  Not a good team for comebacks with that O style. They handled MC at home.    

Well coached team and fun to see live.  

@FootballGuy

I think STA took MNC from PrepNation and one other (ESPN, just checked).    On Calpreps if you click back to 2010 year and choose compilation poll you can see the final rankings from the pollsters, including infamous Dallas Jackson from Rivals (2011 Rivals may be excluded due to DJ’s yo-yo ing of DBP’s ranking Freeman might have yanked Rivals that year).  2012 is the last season Freeman used this tool.  Freeman’s corrections after 2012 did not change the ratings he had for the compilation polls I don’t believe.  For 2010 compilation ratings, STA finished 4th.  If you look at 2010 corrected now they rate at 10th.  

National rankings central look for on CP for 2012 and earlier years.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yeah STA won ESPN fab50 and PrepNation in 2010.   

Yup.  It was bugging me so I had to look. :)  Freeman had Plant and Manatee that year in the 70’s.  Post correction both are now in the 150’s.  That’s how quick an algorithm can switch with an adjustment of state scaling and FL was probably not a state that adjusted much from Freeman. 

49 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Yup.  It was bugging me so I had to look. :)  Freeman had Plant and Manatee that year in the 70’s.  Post correction both are now in the 150’s.  That’s how quick an algorithm can switch with an adjustment of state scaling. 

Yeah STA great performances that year against solid teams.  

Manatee, Camden County Ga, Miramar, Skyline TX, Plant, Cypress Bay.     

Miramar lost to Desoto in OT 42-41 in Desoto (lost 24-7 to STA in Miramar).    Cypress Bay lost 30-27 in the playoffs vs Miami Central (lost 60-14 to STA).     

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

Yeah STA beat some pretty good teams that year.  

Manatee, Camden County Ga, Miramar, Skyline TX, Plant, Cypress Bay.     

Miramar lost to Desoto in OT 42-41 in Desoto (lost 24-7 to STA in Miramar).    Cypress Bay lost 30-27 in the playoffs vs Miami Central (lost 60-14 to STA).     

...that was the last year Cogdell lost to STA, but was also the last year George Smith was HC.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

They’ll always be #847 to me (pre 2017 all years correction) :).   I was at the game and it was at one point in the 3rd a very close game, but turnovers can really hurt and STA’s running game finally started to work late in the game and that mix with the passing game with the talented duo had CC in trouble on D.  CC was running the ball primarily on their final drive score from what I recall.  Not a good team for comebacks with that O style. They handled MC at home.    

Well coached team and fun to see live.  

@FootballGuy

I think STA took MNC from PrepNation and one other (ESPN, just checked).    On Calpreps if you click back to 2010 year and choose compilation poll you can see the final rankings from the pollsters, including infamous Dallas Jackson from Rivals (2011 Rivals may be excluded due to DJ’s yo-yo ing of DBP’s ranking Freeman might have yanked Rivals that year).  2012 is the last season Freeman used this tool.  Freeman’s corrections after 2012 did not change the ratings he had for the compilation polls I don’t believe.  For 2010 compilation ratings, STA finished 4th.  If you look at 2010 corrected now they rate at 10th.  

National rankings central look for on CP for 2012 and earlier years.  

Nice perspective. How impressed were you with Camden? 

And speaking of Camden, when you see who was on Miami Central's team that year, you gotta wonder how in the hell did Camden pull off the victory lol.

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

Ya STA won it too... Thats why I said #2 or better.

South Panola won Rivals(DJ), USAToday, & MaxPreps Xcellent25....

STA won ESPN(when they still did a poll), and PrepNation

DLS won CalPreps, but now St. Edward OH is #1 in 2010 at CP after Ned did some scaling work.

Going back to my original statement, Camden was STA's closest game all year, so it kinda makes you wonder if STA's schedule wasn't that strong or Camden was that good. STA had a great team nontheless.

13 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Nice perspective. How impressed were you with Camden? 

And speaking of Camden, when you see who was on Miami Central's team that year, you gotta wonder how in the hell did Camden pull off the victory lol.

Camden reminded me a lot of DLS the following year... well coached, hard nosed and physical with of course emphasis on the run.   MC didn't dig the wing T assignment D much from what I recall.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Going back to my original statement, Camden was STA's closest game all year, so it kinda makes you wonder if STA's schedule wasn't that strong or Camden was that good. STA had a great team nontheless.

Camden was pretty good. This was before they joined Region 1 so their schedule was terrible... Literally the only good teams they played were Miami Central, STA, and the team that beat them in the playoffs, Hillgrove. That was when Hillgrove had Kenyan Drake. 

The highest ranked teams from GA each year at CALPreps

2003:

28. Camden Co. (15-0) ... #12 @ USAT

2004:

36. Lowndes (15-0) (A 1 loss Nebraska team finished ahead of Lowndes... Lol?) ... Lowndes was #11 at USAT, #8 PrepNation

2005:

73. Lowndes (14-1) ... Lowndes won the State Title game 49-7... Theres a 2 loss Iowa team ahead of Lowndes... Holy Schnike... #11 again @ USAT, #10 @ PrepNation

2006:

112. Northside-WR (15-0) ... Lawd... So misguided

2007:

76. Lowndes (14-1) ... Ok, Lowndes is the highest rated GA team...  1 spot ahead of them is 14-1 Madison Co. FL, Madison Co's 1 loss was OOS to the 28th rated Georgia team, 20-10!!! Ffs... It makes no sense. I HAVE to check the scales for this season.

These 2004, 2005, 2007 Lowndes teams were really good...

2008:

31. Camden Co. ... Was #10 at CalPreps before the change, #3 PrepNation, #6 Rivals

2009:

18. Camden Co. ... Was #12 before the change, #8 @ USAT

2010:

108. Chattahoochee ... Brookwood finished #23 @ USAToday

2011:

44. Grayson ... Was 18th at CP before the change...#4 @ USAToday, 5 @ PrepNation, 4 @ MaxPreps,Xcellent25

2012:

21. Norcross ... Was 16 before the change.This 2012 team was awesome, the Alvin Kamara show. #3 @ MaxPreps Xcellent25, #5 @ PrepNation, #5 @ Rivals

2013:

48. Norcross ... Was 17 @ RivalsHigh

2014: 

11. Colquitt Co. 

2015:

19. Colquitt Co. - won MNC at HSFBA & PrepForce

2016:

6. Grayson - the highest finish ever for a GA team at CalPreps, sadly. Grayson finished in the Top 4 everywhere else.

2017:

21. Rome - and North Gwinnett was right behind them at 22... NG was 13 at PrepNation, 23 at USAToday & 24 at MP Xcellent... Rome was 21 at PrepNation & 22 at MP Xcellent...

• Like 1

Just now, ECHS05 said:

2003:

28. Camden Co. (15-0) ... #12 @ USAT

2004:

36. Lowndes (15-0) (A 1 loss Nebraska team finished ahead of Lowndes... Lol?) ... Lowndes was #11 at USAT, #8 PrepNation

2005:

73. Lowndes (14-1) ... Lowndes won the State Title game 49-7... Theres a 2 loss Iowa team ahead of Lowndes... Holy Schnike... #11 again @ USAT, #10 @ PrepNation

2006:

112. Northside-WR (15-0) ... Lawd... So misguided

2007:

76. Lowndes (14-1) ... Ok, Lowndes is the highest rated GA team...  1 spot ahead of them is 14-1 Madison Co. FL, Madison Co's 1 loss was OOS to the 28th rated Georgia team, 20-10!!! Ffs... It makes no sense. I HAVE to check the scales for this season.

These 2004, 2005, 2007 Lowndes teams were really good...

2008:

31. Camden Co. ... Was #10 at CalPreps before the change, #3 PrepNation, #6 Rivals

2009:

18. Camden Co. ... Was #12 before the change, #8 @ USAT

2010:

108. Chattahoochee ... Brookwood finished #23 @ USAToday

2011:

44. Grayson ... Was 18th at CP before the change...#4 @ USAToday, 5 @ PrepNation, 4 @ MaxPreps,Xcellent25

2012:

21. Norcross ... Was 16 before the change.This 2012 team was awesome, the Alvin Kamara show. #3 @ MaxPreps Xcellent25, #5 @ PrepNation, #5 @ Rivals

2013:

48. Norcross ... Was 17 @ RivalsHigh

2014: 

11. Colquitt Co. 

2015:

19. Colquitt Co. - won MNC at HSFBA & PrepForce

2016:

6. Grayson - the highest finish ever for a GA team at CalPreps, sadly. Grayson finished in the Top 4 everywhere else.

2017:

21. Rome - and North Gwinnett was right behind them at 22... NG was 13 at PrepNation, 23 at USAToday & 24 at MP Xcellent... Rome was 21 at PrepNation & 22 at MP Xcellent...

Roswell was ranked #13 on usatoday in 2016.

Cartersville was ranked #23 on usatoday as well.

Both of these were expert rankings. Cartersville was ranked higher than roswell on the computer ranking tho. Not sure about where each team was ranked in the calpreps database. 

6 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Both of these were expert rankings. Cartersville was ranked higher than roswell on the computer ranking tho. Not sure about where each team was ranked in the calpreps database. 

That contradicts NORs notion that a stronger SoS would guarantee a higher ranking from the algorithms. No way in hell did Cartersville play a tougher slate of games than Roswell in 2016.

22 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Well, I had the pleasure of driving north on I-95 to witness that fabulous 45-42 game in Kingsland, Ga.  Drove up the 125miles that morning and got there a little after 1pm. Can't say I was able to find anything interesting about the area before the stadium gates opened, but I drove around a bit. Saw some swamp marshes, and the gate to a military complex (?) of some sort. Ate a fish sandwich with fries, on a picnic table, by a large wetland park. Camden's stadium was very impressive. Huge home side seating in what looked to be the south Georgia STICKS !  If there was civilization near by, I never saw it. From the opening kickoff it was a war of offenses. Camden couldn't stop the pass from Central's wide open spread, and the Florida boys had no answer for Camden's deceptive, and powerful running game. Game went back and forth till the end. Don't like to bring the ref's up in a game of two great teams, but as I drove home in the dark after the final whistle one thing was apparent to this Florida homer....in Miami the result would have been reversed, 45-42 or about's the other way...      

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

That contradicts NORs notion that a stronger SoS would guarantee a higher ranking from the algorithms. No way in hell did Cartersville play a tougher slate of games than Roswell in 2016.

Right. The fact that cartersville had went undefeated two seasons in a row helped them out in the rankings. And you know state champs always.....well, most of the time, get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to rankings. 

FWIW, always try and buy a program when attending a big game. Just found the Camden Wildcat 2010 Football Program. At 84 pages it's loaded with school historical imfo. The Camden roster list 147 player names ( must be JV too ). They didn't dress that many for the game, but compared to Miami it was no contest...2+ to 1, Camden. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

I did not mean to send that yet.

All that was, was the highest ranked team from GA at CalPreps each year...

Just to show how GOD awful CP was for a while.

1 hour ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Cartersville was 63rd in 2016 @ CalPreps, Roswell was 39th.

Cartersville mightve been higher on the USAToday computer poll.