DeMatha: Arguably the Best Team Ever from Mid Atlantic

BigDrop

In the 34 years of Super 25 rankings by USA Today De La Salle has had more top 25 rankings than anyone.  Number two is DeMatha now with ten who may have had their best team ever this year.  Last week they pulled off an incredible fourth quarter rally to defeat St. John's 34-29 for the WCAC Championship at the University of Maryland.  This is the Washington Post report of DeMatha's 34-29 victory where behind Beau English they erased an 15 point deficit with 7 minutes to go. 

A remarkable year for DeMatha, a remarkable year for the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference.  DeMatha opened the season crushing Virginia Beach's Oscar Smith 42-7 who have not lost since and are deep in the Virginia division 6 playoffs.  St. John's (who lost to DeMatha twice) also beat Pittsburgh Central Catholic 35-14.  Central Catholic has not loss since, may win the PA state championship and, with 595 points in their other 11 games is averaging 54 points a game.  St. John's also beat New Jersey's St. Joseph's Regional who are similarly in the state playoffs.  DeMatha added victories over Baltimore's McDonough, twice over Good Counsel and over Gonzaga (who along with IMG supplied St. John's other losses.  Last year DeMatha made a national statement with victories over Miami Central and American Heritage Plantation.

I type this as a fan who has followed mid Atlantic high school football passionately since the early 1960's.  (I am old!)  But I think this year's DeMatha team is the best ever.  I also believe that Beau English, an Air Force recruit, is the best high school qb to ever come out of the DC/Baltimore area.  His leadership, his steady direction and moving of the offense in the last minutes of a game are the equal of any player I have ever seen anywhere in America on the high school level.

For Elijah Brooks, DeMatha's young coach (a DeMatha and William and Mary graduate who was a top tb himself in hs) this is his fourth straight WCAC championship and his highest national ranking.  (#5 in most polls)  

Bravo, DeMatha for a landmark year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

In the 34 years of Super 25 rankings by USA Today De La Salle has had more top 25 rankings than anyone.  Number two is DeMatha now with ten who may have had their best team ever this year.  Last week they pulled off an incredible fourth quarter rally to defeat St. John's 34-29 for the WCAC Championship at the University of Maryland.  This is the Washington Post report of DeMatha's 34-29 victory where behind Beau English they erased an 15 point deficit with 7 minutes to go. 

Who notified the psych ward about the new board?

So the best DeMatha team ever only beat Good Counsel by 14 and was trailing St.John's by 15 points in the 4th quarter?

Not just the best DeMatha team ever but the best Mid-Atlantic team ever?

I'm actually convinced that DeMatha is one of the most overrated teams in the country this year.

13 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Who notified the psych ward about the new board?

So the best DeMatha team ever only beat Good Counsel by 14 and was trailing St.John's by 15 points in the 4th quarter?

Not just the best DeMatha team ever but the best Mid-Atlantic team ever?

I'm actually convinced that DeMatha is one of the most overrated teams in the country this year.

This post...,what a shock.....new board, same egocentric dickwad.  May your turkey be dry, your mashies too lumpy and your heartburn terrible.

1 minute ago, 954gator said:

Yeah but Los what other states/teams have been good in that area?

Doesn't matter.

This DeMatha team has a resume that screams overrated. I'm not required to give a better Mid-Atlantic team or even a better DeMatha team to mock his claim.

They got two cracks at 6-5 Good Counsel and couldn't blow them out either time? They got two cracks at St. John's and escaped by the hair on their balls both times?

Only a deluded old man would claim that this team is the best (insert) team ever.

Just now, I AM IRONMAN said:

This post...,what a shock.....new board, same egocentric dickwad.  May your turkey be dry, your mashies too lumpy and your heartburn terrible.

Do you ever have anything to say about the topic?

Well it's about respecting a poster.  One who lives in the area and has been watching his area games for 60 years.  You stroll in on your high pony and just act like a total asshole.

Still love typing this:

DBP 20

sta.   10

oh AND

DBP 24 (took a knee at the 5)

sta.     7 (so mad they busted up their hotel rooms after the game ... but too big to play at Granatell...what a joke!)

hey at least they had a nice view of the Hudson River while DBP knocked the snot out of them.

7 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

One who lives in the area and has been watching his area games for 60 years.

A grandmother in Albuquerque has watched games for 60 years.

Doesn't mean she knows squat about high school football.

21 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

That being said dematha still deserves a top 10 ranking. Maybe even top 5. 

Have you actually looked at their resume?

No top 10 team ever made couldn't put together a running clock margin in two combined games against someone like Good Counsel.

45 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Have you actually looked at their resume?

No top 10 team ever made couldn't put together a running clock margin in two combined games against someone like Good Counsel.

SjC is a very good team. Dematha still beat them twice. Only handful of teams in country could do that. 

10 hours ago, BigDrop said:

A remarkable year for DeMatha, a remarkable year for the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference.  DeMatha opened the season crushing Virginia Beach's Oscar Smith 42-7 who have not lost since and are deep in the Virginia division 6 playoffs.  St. John's (who lost to DeMatha twice) also beat Pittsburgh Central Catholic 35-14.  Central Catholic has not loss since, may win the PA state championship and, with 595 points in their other 11 games is averaging 54 points a game.  St. John's also beat New Jersey's St. Joseph's Regional who are similarly in the state playoffs.  DeMatha added victories over Baltimore's McDonough, twice over Good Counsel and over Gonzaga (who along with IMG supplied St. John's other losses.  Last year DeMatha made a national statement with victories over Miami Central and American Heritage Plantation.

I type this as a fan who has followed mid Atlantic high school football passionately since the early 1960's.  (I am old!)  But I think this year's DeMatha team is the best ever.  I also believe that Beau English, an Air Force recruit, is the best high school qb to ever come out of the DC/Baltimore area.  His leadership, his steady direction and moving of the offense in the last minutes of a game are the equal of any player I have ever seen anywhere in America on the high school level.

For Elijah Brooks, DeMatha's young coach (a DeMatha and William and Mary graduate who was a top tb himself in hs) this is his fourth straight WCAC championship and his highest national ranking.  (#5 in most polls)  

Bravo, DeMatha for a landmark year.

Great post. 

It's also a very important post for the "good ole' boys" to read and the zip code pollsters to ponder. 

The DC area is always WAYYYYYYYYYYY undervalued in national discussions. Just like NJ had been. 

The DC/NJ area is just as good as TX, smaller geographically but never gets the same respect. 

Fact based posts like this are important.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

SjC is a very good team. Dematha still beat them twice. Only handful of teams in country could do that. 

St. John's is a quality opponent but I disagree with you.

DeMatha has a 1-point win and trailed by 15 points in the 4th quarter in the other game.

People set the bar so low for some of these teams.

12 minutes ago, LOSer said:

St. John's is a quality opponent but I disagree with you.

DeMatha has a 1-point win and trailed by 15 points in the 4th quarter in the other game.

People set the bar so low for some of these teams.

you don't think that maybe SOS plays into margin of victory? 

Especially privates above the Mason-Dixon Line who tend to play the toughest schedules in the country year in and year out? 

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

you don't think that maybe SOS plays into margin of victory? 

No. Who did they play?

They played St. John's twice and scraped by both times. They played Good Counsel twice and failed to dominate either time.

Who else?

They're just underwhelming.

There isn't a top 10 team anywhere or at any time that would struggle as badly as they did against top 100 (or so) teams.

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

Especially privates above the Mason-Dixon Line who tend to play the toughest schedules in the country year in and year out? 

Sorry.

I take teams one at a time. I don't lump.