After Texas school shooting, Houston police chief says he's 'hit rock bottom' with inaction on gun control

RedZone

Who can blame the guy?

"Last year, just before the church shooting, the state lowered the application fees for handgun licenses from $140 to $40. The law also allows applicants to take its safety classes online, instead of a classroom, in addition to at least one hour of shooting range instruction before taking a shooting test."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/05/19/texas-school-shooting-houston-police-chief-calls-gun-control/625751002/

8 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

That law had absolutely nothing to do with this shooting... 

There is no solution to fix this problem other than fixing kids heads. Way to many guns out there to ever get rid of them.

You can't get rid of guns...that argument is so stupid and old. And it's not a today problem it's been going on for a long long time. 

38 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

That law had absolutely nothing to do with this shooting... 

There is no solution to fix this problem other than fixing kids heads. Way to many guns out there to ever get rid of them.

Actually it does.  As much as folks preach about the right to own guns it's time to come to grips that a heavy responsibility comes with it.  The father allowed easy access to his weapons, and there was a heavy crime committed by them.  Gun control is an issue and it doesn't necessarily mean fewer guns.  Liability is a start.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Actually it does.  As much as folks preach about the right to own guns it's time to come to grips that a heavy responsibility comes with it.  The father allowed easy access to his weapons, and there was a heavy crime committed by them.  Gun control is an issue and it doesn't necessarily mean fewer guns.  Liability is a start.

You can sue so what your saying can already happen.

This is the same argument when it comes to driving and the responsibility that comes with it. 

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

It would be interesting to see how charging the dad would turn out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

You can.....so this is nothing new. The law is texas is this....purchase a gun at 18....new age when it comes to operating...so really no crime has been committed by the dad

Slow down HSFBfan, I'm talking new legislation to hold the dad accountable.  If folks just want to sit on their hands and whine and pray, nor reduce the lethality on the street, then when crimes are committed with another persons guns, we hold the gun holder criminally liable.  Something needs to be done other what is going on now which is finger pointing.

Same can be said if a weapon is stolen and it was shown to not be properly secured....fine the hell out of the gun holder.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

“Last year, just before the church shooting, the state lowered the application fees for handgun licenses from $140 to $40. The law also allows applicants to take its safety classes online, instead of a classroom, in addition to at least one hour of shooting range instruction before taking a shooting test."

Nothing quoted would’ve prevented this 17 year old from shooting up a school killing innocent kids and teachers. 

7 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Slow down HSFBfan, I'm talking new legislation to hold the dad accountable.  If folks just want to sit on their hands and whine and pray, nor reduce the lethality on the street, then when crimes are committed with another persons guns, we hold the gun holder criminally liable.  Something needs to be done other what is going on now which is finger pointing.

Same can be said if a weapon is stolen and it was shown to not be properly secured....fine the hell out of the gun holder.  

So, you want to charge-fine someone because someone breaks in someone’s location and steals a gun...? 

So if someone steals your car and gets in a police chase and kills an officer or civilian, we should charge-fine you also?

If someone breaks into my home and steals one of my guns and goes out and shoots someone I should be charged? 

Sounds like insanity to me. 

19 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I agree in one sense that it should be locked up but in the same sense I disagree completely. You dont have time to unlock the safe to get your gun if your being robbed at home....I do believe that this whole conversation is being blown out of proportion.  Maybe parents should have a conversation about guns instead of vilifying it. I have been around guns my whole life and I never shot anything up.  

I don't think this is really the day in age to make getting guns even easier. That's my opinion.

40 bucks and an online goober class (don't point a loaded gun, goober)? Come on.....sheesh, fishing licenses are more complicated, believe that!

People like this guy in Houston just wants some common sense stuff. 

Right to bear arms- for military and police. You can still have the right to bear arms, IF you join the military or are a police officer. 

Problem solved. 

All he keyboard warriors can finally go home and the NRA can be put to bed. 

Maybe keyboard warriors like @concha will be finally forced off their ass to do something if they want a gun so bad. Too easy right?

19 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Right to bear arms- for military and police. You can still have the right to bear arms, IF you join the military or are a police officer. 

Problem solved. 

All he keyboard warriors can finally go home and the NRA can be put to bed. 

Maybe keyboard warriors like @concha will be finally forced off their ass to do something if they want a gun so bad. Too easy right?

Doesnt say that. So stop changing the language. A well regulated militia is any able body that can defend this country.