OT: Did not realize Sante Fe was at 7200 feet

Bormio

The altitude'll get ya, and so will the sun if it's a customary, blue-sky day.

Have fun. It's a cool place. A week there is a lot. I'm sure you'll do the regular things -- the Plaza, Canyon Road, the Basilica and the Loretto Chapel, Railyard Arts District, Palace of the Governors, etc. I'd also recommend a 30 minute drive to Madrid, a little artsy enclave on a back road between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Hiking you are doing -- River rafting and 4-wheeling are fun outdoor things there too. And a cooking class and visit to one of their wineries.

With the number of Mexican food meals you'll have, enjoy that green chili! There's something a little different about New Mexico/Colorado green chili that separates it from other chili used for smothering mexican food in California or Arizona or Texas. Also, maybe try at least one of the dishes you order smothered "Christmas style", which is half red, half green chili. Tasty.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2018 at 12:44 PM, Bormio said:

No wonder I am sucking wind during my workout.  Here for a week on vacation.

Good for you, I yearn for North New Mexico.... cattle, sand, mountains, rock, grazing pastures.... Colfax and Union County to be exact. The Grasslands. 

So freakin quiet, you think you can hear your heartbeat. 

Regards,

BGW

20 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Good for you, I yearn for North New Mexico.... cattle, sand, mountains, rock, grazing pastures.... Colfax and Union County to be exact. The Grasslands. 

So freakin quiet, you think you can hear your heartbeat. 

Regards,

BGW

New Mexico is different than Arizona, and I think I like it better.  Too many transplants into Arizona (of course, that would be me).  Also I think northern New Mexico is beautiful.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bormio said:

New Mexico is different than Arizona, and I think I like it better.  Too many transplants into Arizona (of course, that would be me).  Also I think northern New Mexico is beautiful.

I want to build a cedar log cabin in either the Gila National Forest, Raton, or nearby Choco Canyon. I love that state. I still have a rock I picked up from an ancient volcano out there, and hunted Pronghorn outside of Raton in 2008 and then Elk in 2010. Majestic scenery. And hearing the bugling while watching the sunrise was amazing. 

A beautiful, under appreciated state. 

• Like 1