Illinois Thread

abbatt

I think most of your HS football media lost some credibility.

Phillips at this point is a nice 5A team. They should know that. Anyone who understands IL football knows last years opening game was a fluke and that squad with that backfield was a much better team than this year's version. They should also understand that they are not going to blow through the 6A playoffs let alone be mentioned in the same breath as a lot of the programs in 7 and 8A.

That said... they will eventually get there. They are moving in the right direction, just trying to do it too fast.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

I think most of your HS football media lost some credibility.

Phillips at this point is a nice 5A team. They should know that. Anyone who understands IL football knows last years opening game was a fluke and that squad with that backfield was a much better team than this year's version. They should also understand that they are not going to blow through the 6A playoffs let alone be mentioned in the same breath as a lot of the programs in 7 and 8A.

That said... they will eventually get there. They are moving in the right direction, just trying to do it too fast.

lot of silliness in rankings. I don't know that Phillips will get there because if they stay down in 5A very few teams will be able to contend with their athletes. If they eventually move into 7/8A then they are Simeon with worse coaching. That isn't a bad thing, but it's not the top either. I am not sure what will happen in 6A, but they didn't exactly run away with 5A last year so I suspect closer games.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Real Illinois top 10

1. Lincoln Way East  (3-0) - I haven't seen them play yet so I am not 100% sold on their #1ness, but they appear to have fewest chinks in the armor. They were down early to Naperville Central which is concerning, but they came back to win comfortably. At this point I am not impressed with their schedule since their week 1 opponent being 0-3 with 2 blowouts, and Naperville Central losing to an average Hinsdale Central. LWE is a proven commodity though.

2. Nazareth (3-0) - Their soph QB is getting a lot of praise. They have a couple good wins over Lutheran North (MO) and Lake Zurich. The Lake Zurich win looks less impressive now as they had a closish game against a bad team this week. But the Naz D has been a constant and the offense is picking up speed after the departure of their #1 option just prior to week 1.

3. Homewood-Flossmoor (3-0) - They like Naz, had a nice win over Lutheran North. But they also had a close shave against Michigan City, IN, and I am not sure how good MC is. This team is not as athletic as typical H-F teams, but they play more deliberate and are better on defense, whatever that means for the Vikings. The important thing is that their solid in all phases and well coached.

4. Barrington (3-0) - Just scored a good win over a good Maine South team albeit minus their starting QB. Not many 8A teams can be 9-0 entering the playoffs, this team has a great chance.

5. Maine South (2-1) - Dropped a 3 point game to Barrington with the starting QB out which is more likely a testament to the team. They also hold a dominating win over Glenbard West and a win over Mt. Carmel who just downed Loyola. They should have no problem beating the rest of their schedule and going 8-1.

6. East St. Louis (2-1) - Fresh off of a dominating win over a highly regarded Edwardsville, ESL looks to have the pieces to contend in 7A. They lost in a shootout to MLK of Detroit and beat a highly regarded Trinity of St. Louis (yes I know the Colquitt score).  The Flyers should have no issue riding out the remainder of their schedule and going 8-1.

7. Batavia (3-0) - I haven't seen them yet, but being the returning 7A champ they are a proven commodity and have improved each week after a slim victory over a Lemont team that probably should have been handled. They still have their biggest tests of the year coming up and I would not be surprised if they dropped a couple. But as for now...

8. Simeon (3-0) - I got a good look at Simeon against Phillips in which Simeon showed clear separation from their Public league foe. The Wolverines have good size and speed, plus have a competent XP game which gives them a leg up on other similar squads. Simeon also scored a solid win over Trotwood-Madison (OH) 33-6 in a shortened game. Simeon should win out the rest of their schedule and be 9-0 entering the playoffs.

9. Huntley (3-0) - Ended the 30 game win streak of back to back and defending 6A champion Prairie Ridge. They've been dominating in their other two games. Their other big test comes next week against Cary-Grove. The issue with Huntley is they play in what is generally a small school conference. Their only connection to the outside world is in week 8 against (0-3) Naperville North. 

10. Mt. Carmel (2-1) - Got the big win over previously Nationally ranked Loyola. Normally this would propel a team higher into the top 10, however in my 1st viewing of either team neither was all that impressive. My lack of another option at #10 is as much a reason for this ranking as anything. They should skate through the rest of their schedule except for a possible test against Providence.

LA is smaller on the lines than normal this year. They have some nice-sized Def. ends........both 6`5...240-245....and a MLB that goes  6`4...225...but after that they are 235 at the tackles and avg size at the CB`s.

They lack size on the OF side as well. They avg. about 6`2-255 across the front which is significantly smaller than the last 3-4 years.

Both Mount Carmel and Brother Rice are very improved from last year and LA is down .. so the playing field is evening itself out.

LA hasn`t looked as smooth or confident in their play this year because they aren`t dominating with their size as they have been able to do in the past .

Now with their starting QB out they are really struggling on OF. Fallon is a better running QB which is vital for the LA Offensive attack.

There are a lot of good teams in 8A and 7A this year and the state champs could be teams that aren`t considered the favorites at this time.

• Like 1