Illinois Thread

abbatt

Highlights of Lutheran North vs Homewood Flossmoor

This is how I imagine Phillips vs any team with a chance in 8A would play out except LN was better than Phillips. Clearly the event promoters knew that and scheduled accordingly. LN definitely had the D1 athlete advantage and speed advantage. H-F wasn't as good as the H-F I am accustomed to, but they're solid and probably make less mistakes than usual. I don't see them beating LWE. Bolingbrook has more top level talent than H-F but I think H-F will be better at more positions. Should be a good game in week 4.

Highlights to Trinity vs East St Louis

Highlights to Chaminade vs Phillips

• Thanks 2

We have some good games this week:

Mt. Carmel (1-1) @ Loyola (2-0) (Sat at 1:30)

Simeon (2-0) @ Phillips (1-1) (Sat at 6:30)

East St. Louis (1-1) @ Edwardsville (1-1)

Naperville North (0-2) @ Naperville Central (0-2) - both schools essentially start the playoffs now due to their schedules

On 9/1/2018 at 7:19 PM, Bones said:

Locals telling me CBC is the best in the St. Louis area, Trinity and Lutheran would be able to give them a test, and there's usually a team from Kansas City on CBC level.

I doubt Trinity or Lutheran would give Christian Bros. a challenge. Maybe DeSmet Jesuit this year? As far as Kansas City is concerned Rockhurst shutout Blue Springs 17-0 this last weekend. Those two are usually the top dogs in the KC area. Rockhurst has an intriguing game with the reigning Kansas champ Bishop Miege coming up.  

13 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I doubt Trinity or Lutheran would give Christian Bros. a challenge. Maybe DeSmet Jesuit this year? As far as Kansas City is concerned Rockhurst shutout Blue Springs 17-0 this last weekend. Those two are usually the top dogs in the KC area. Rockhurst has an intriguing game with the reigning Kansas champ Bishop Miege coming up.  

Edwardsville gave CBC a contest (I posted the game in the game thread). We'll be able to get an idea of Edwardsville this week since they play ESL. The Missouri people I spoke with thought it would be Blue Springs, but I did see that shutout.

Bones,

I think that this is pretty solid. I believe that you feel Naz`s 2 opponents were tougher than LWE or LA`s. I guess that this early in the season it`s possible. lake Zurich`s OFF is not what it was last year...one OFF TD in 2 games. Hersey beat Fremd 36-22 over the weekend and LZ only scored one OFF TD against Fremd. Which teams are your next 5?

• Like 1

GSB,

I`m going with Simeon..26-20. They seem more focused and sharper on the mental aspects of the game.

Each team has a game-changing player...Phillips Alabama recruit Jaheel Billingsly and Simeon QB Delante Brown a Michigan St.commit.

Usually in big match-ups it`s the little things that matter most and that`s where i give Simeon the edge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abbatt said:

Bones,

I think that this is pretty solid. I believe that you feel Naz`s 2 opponents were tougher than LWE or LA`s. I guess that this early in the season it`s possible. lake Zurich`s OFF is not what it was last year...one OFF TD in 2 games. Hersey beat Fremd 36-22 over the weekend and LZ only scored one OFF TD against Fremd. Which teams are your next 5?

Yes, I feel Naz's opponents were better and they dominated those opponents. LWE struggled early with Naperville Central. Plus NC gets knocked down even further by Hinsdale Central taking a bad loss. LWE's schedule will eclipse Naz's by season's end so they will be able to pass the Roadrunners. 

Next 5 I don't know. I'll throw some teams out there in no order: Edwardsville, Stevenson, Cary Grove, Oswego, Huntley, St. Charles East, Bolingbrook (maybe Edwardsville should be top 10)

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Who wins this week? Simeon or Phillips? Thx. 

It'll be a competitive game IMO, but I'll go with Simeon too. 

• Thanks 1

Bones,

Who`s Bolingbrook????? Are they in IL?????  I am amazed by Willowbrook..they play really hard but beating HC was a surprise to me.NC plays Louisville Trinity in a few weeks and I think that the Shamrocks will take out their 0-3 frustration on somebody......Hopefully not NC.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gospeeder said:

The interesting thing about LWE is that their number one skill player has not even touched the field yet.

I want to say I remember him missing some games last season. Plus I'm pretty sure he played against us and didn't do anything. I'm not really too concerned about that they'll be good regardless. He had a phenomenal Championship game last year, but that's partially because the QB was hobbled and running back couldn't go.

8 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

For you IL guys, this is what I had for my top 10 while compiling my top 50 poll:

1. LWE

2. LA

3. Maine South

4. Simeon

5. Nazareth 

6. Edwardsville

7. Mt. Carmel

8. H-F

9. Barrington

10. Phillips

How far off am I, Bones and Abbatt? 

I would be more cautious on Simeon & Phillips. The Ohio people basically said Trotwood-Madison was bum and they know best. Simeon's other win was average. I would probably have both in my next 10 or 15 though.

3 minutes ago, Bones said:

I want to say I remember him missing some games last season. Plus I'm pretty sure he played against us and didn't do anything. I'm not really too concerned about that they'll be good regardless. He had a phenomenal Championship game last year, but that's partially because the QB was hobbled and running back couldn't go.

I would be more cautious on Simeon & Phillips. The Ohio people basically said Trotwood-Madison was bum and they know best. Simeon's other win was average. I would probably have both in my next 10 or 15 though.

I was impressed with Nazareth, though. Shutting out LZ like that and dominating without their all world RB to boot. They must have a nasty defense. 

Omaha Vol,

i like your poll as well because Loyola is very athletic and disciplined. I would put them first....then LWE and Naz 3rd. I`m not completely sold on Maine South yet. Loyola plays Mt.Carmel this week at Loyola. I don`t see a very close game......41-7 Loyola. I also think that Barrington takes down Maine South 27-24. So far LZ has scored one Off TD in 2 games. I believe that NAZ has a very good Def. but the team that LZ beat ..Fremd...... doesn`t have a great Def and LZ could only score one TD at home against them. The folllowing week Fremd got rolled by a decent Hersey team..36-22. They gave up 445 yds. in that game.  i agree with Bones about Phillips and Simeon ...but I would put the winner of their game at maybe 12-15. I don`t see Simeon`s win as avg....they went to Ohio and pounded a defending state champ. Even if T-M is perceived as down this year that is quite an accomplishment. Edwardsville plays ESL this week and I think ESL will win. Edville has an undersized DEF line and I feel ESL will beat them down in a high-scoring game.....47-34.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Bones,

Actually the final was 36-20 and it was at Fremd. At the half Fremd was actually winning 20-17 despite being out-gained 211-89. Then Hersey out-scored them 19-0 in the 3rd and that was it. Hersey also had a TD called back in the 2nd QT. Hersey was pretty good last year going unbeaten and then losing to Lincoln-Way Central 14-10 in the play-offs. They are one of those teams that has great chemistry, is well-coached and can bite a lot of teams if they aren`t ready.