Dr. Phillips FL @ Lee Co. GA --- who wins?

ECHS05

On Saturday, August 25th ...  The Defending FL 8A State Champions, Dr. Phillips, play @ The Defending GA 6A State Champions, Lee Co..

Lee Co. beat a not-very-good Dougherty team 47-6 in week 0. Dr. Phillips didnt play an actual game, but Im sure they played a "kickoff classic" ... I can't find evidence of that though, does anyone know who, or if, Dr. Phillips played a game this past weekend?

Anyway... Who do you guys think wins this game? CalPreps says Dr. Phillips wins 26-14... But idk. Lee Co. will be good this year, just not sure how good due to graduation losses from last year. Dr. P is supposed to be a contender to again win FLs 8A title... So I think this will be an excellent game... Who do you guys think wins?

20 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

I’m way more interested in than the North Gwinnett-Wekiva and Milton- Cardinal Gibbons games. Thoughts on those? 

North Gwinnett should take the Wekiva game. 

Milton looked pretty good. I'm thinking a 2014 replay type of Milton almost when they get rolling good. If it was a pick 'em game, I'd probably go with Milton, but, idk. Toss up I think. 

• Like 1

North Gwinnett-Wekiva & Milton-Cardinal Gibbons are 2 weeks away though.

Lee-Phillips is next week!

Itll be interesting to see how good Wekivas D really is. Wekiva won their "kickoff classic" 35-0 over Lake Brantley FL.

Cardinal Gibbons won their kickoff classic 41-7 over Key West.

IMO... Wekiva & Cardinal Gibbons are just too elite to be beat.

These are the #2 and #3 teams in Florida on CalPreps after all.

Lee County in a rout.

Kissimmee Osceola dismantled them. 21-3. That's a small rivalry and Dr Pepper wouldn't have just laid down for them. 

And if you haven't been to or seen a preseason game then you can't really comment on how they work. 

ESPN wouldn't have put them on their networks the last couple of years. 

Lee Co is in mid season form dropping almost half a hundy.

plus Dr Pep has to drive all the way there Friday and play in the middle of the dead Georgia heat Saturday afternoon 

I'm hoping the game stays close but I got Lee Co by multiple scores 

16 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

North Gwinnett-Wekiva & Milton-Cardinal Gibbons are 2 weeks away though.

Lee-Phillips is next week!

Itll be interesting to see how good Wekivas D really is. Wekiva won their "kickoff classic" 35-0 over Lake Brantley FL.

Cardinal Gibbons won their kickoff classic 41-7 over Key West.

IMO... Wekiva & Cardinal Gibbons are just too elite to be beat.

These are the #2 and #3 teams in Florida on CalPreps after all.

You need to stop taking Cal preps as gospel. Lol

Wekiva hasn't done anything to earn their ranking yet.  North Gwinnett looked invincible yesterday. 

We just need Cardinal Gibbons to win more than any of the other teams.  Mainland  will lose big to Bob Jones and Stoneman Douglas is hot garbage. Chaminade will win for sure. 

Florida needs to win two out of three against the two Georgia teams and St Joe's or it will be considered a disaster

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Lee County in a rout.

Kissimmee Osceola dismantled them. 21-3. That's a small rivalry and Dr Pepper wouldn't have just laid down for them. 

And if you haven't been to or seen a preseason game then you can't really comment on how they work. 

ESPN wouldn't have put them on their networks the last couple of years. 

Lee Co is in mid season form dropping almost half a hundy.

plus Dr Pep has to drive all the way there Friday and play in the middle of the dead Georgia heat Saturday afternoon 

I'm hoping the game stays close but I got Lee Co by multiple scores 

Dr. Phillips lost to Osceola in last years kickoff classic also, and then was just fine the rest of the season.

Dont think that means anything.

Lee beat one an awful team.

Dr. P is incredible. Pipe Dreams said they were very talented and will crush Lee.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ECHS05 said:

Ok being forreal now... Since youre here @ATLien12x ... Give me your take on Grayson vs Bergen Catholic.

I dont know what to make of Grayson at this point...

Grayson in a running clock! 63-14. One point better than Mater Dei. 

These Georgia teams are on another level. I feel like we all got pool hustled. Georgia is gonna destroy every oos team they play 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Grayson in a running clock! 63-14. One point better than Mater Dei. 

These Georgia teams are on another level. I feel like we all got pool hustled. Georgia is gonna destroy every oos team they play 

I thought I said being forreal now ...

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Dr. Phillips lost to Osceola in last years kickoff classic also, and then was just fine the rest of the season.

Dont think that means anything.

Lee beat one an awful team.

Dr. P is incredible. Pipe Dreams said they were very talented and will crush Lee.

I was not surprised that Osceola beat Dr. Phillips in the KOC. The two teams have formed a rivalry and have swapped games back and forth. However, I am surprised by the margin of victory. It may be possible Dp. held out some of their kids (or played them sparingly) in anticipation of their road trip this week since the KOC does not count on their record. I was not at the Dp game, so who knows?

Dr. Phillips brings back a fair number of kids from their state title team. However they also lost several key players including a senior starting QB. I saw them in their spring game against Winter Park and was not overly impressed. However, that game was played after a two hour lightening delay on a soggy field. So it was really very difficult to properly assess them. Add to that they were missing their principal running back who also plays baseball and was therefore not available (Dp. made it to the state semis in baseball), and it made it even more difficult to assess them then. 

Here is what I do know. Dp. is a bit young but talented at most of the skill offensive positions. So I think they will be better on offense later in the season as a team as some of these players mature into their new roles.  Dp. has good experience on both of its lines. So they should be fine there. They also return twin brothers who were the heart and soul of their defensive efforts that led them to the state title. 

At this stage of the season, I don't expect Dp to score more than 24 points in this game. So if Lee County has the offensive firepower to put up thirty or more, then they should win handily. 

Hope Dp. represent Central Florida well. I am cautiously optimistic that they will.

1 hour ago, ATLien12x said:

I’m way more interested in than the North Gwinnett-Wekiva and Milton- Cardinal Gibbons games. Thoughts on those? 

I will give you some insight into Wekiva. They have a stellar, veteran defense with several kids having multiple D1 offers. It will be very, very difficult to put up more than 21 against them. They have three quality wide receivers and a senior QB that used to be at Apopka as a freshman and sophomore. The QB is mobile but not really a runner, has a decent arm, but also a tendency to make bad judgments on occasion. Currently, they don't have an established running back and have been working with three or four kids to find the proper combination at the position. They lost a veteran kicker/punter to graduation. Kid had filled the role for four years, I am not sure whether they have an adequate replacement. In their spring game against a good Edgewater team, the kid they used was okay, but not special.

My guess is that this game is a defensive struggle. I would have to favor North Gwinnett as the home team, but would not be surprised if Wekiva won. Wekiva does have a veteran coaching staff, so even though they don't have a history of making deep playoff runs and out of state travel, I don't think it will affect them too much. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I will give you some insight into Wekiva. They have a stellar, veteran defense with several kids having multiple D1 offers. It will be very, very difficult to put up more than 21 against them. They have three quality wide receivers and a senior QB that used to be at Apopka as a freshman and sophomore. The QB is mobile but not really a runner, has a decent arm, but also a tendency to make bad judgments on occasion. Currently, they don't have an established running back and have been working with three or four kids to find the proper combination at the position. They lost a veteran kicker/punter to graduation. Kid had filled the role for four years, I am not sure whether they have an adequate replacement. In their spring game against a good Edgewater team, the kid they used was okay, but not special.

My guess is that this game is a defensive struggle. I would have to favor North Gwinnett as the home team, but would not be surprised if Wekiva won. Wekiva does have a veteran coaching staff, so even though they don't have a history of making deep playoff runs and out of state travel, I don't think it will affect them too much. 

Really really good and informative post. +1. Appreciate it bud 

• Thanks 1