Dr. Phillips FL @ Lee Co. GA --- who wins?

ECHS05

3 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

On Saturday, August 25th ...  The Defending FL 8A State Champions, Dr. Phillips, play @ The Defending GA 6A State Champions, Lee Co..

Lee Co. beat a not-very-good Dougherty team 47-6 in week 0. Dr. Phillips didnt play an actual game, but Im sure they played a "kickoff classic" ... I can't find evidence of that though, does anyone know who, or if, Dr. Phillips played a game this past weekend?

Anyway... Who do you guys think wins this game? CalPreps says Dr. Phillips wins 26-14... But idk. Lee Co. will be good this year, just not sure how good due to graduation losses from last year. Dr. P is supposed to be a contender to again win FLs 8A title... So I think this will be an excellent game... Who do you guys think wins?

By J.C. Carnahan, Contact Reporter, Orlando Sentinel

It went down as expected Friday when two of the top programs in the area tangled in an annual preseason football Kickoff Classic in Kissimmee.

Strong efforts defensively by Osceola and Dr. Phillips countered much of what could be done by the offenses, which turned to new contributors after losing so many starters from a year ago.

Osceola’s Davon Wells tossed a touchdown pass and ran for another in a 21-3 win at the newly-built stadium at Austin-Tindall Sports Complex.

“I’m going to beg them to let us come back here and play again next year,” Osceola coach Doug Nichols said. “Just to see the look in the kid’s eyes when they pulled in on the bus and seen all of this, they were so excited. It was an awesome night, we’re very fortunate to be able to play here.”

Pictures: High School Football kickoff classics
Pictures of 2018 Central Florida high school football kickoff classics (Stephen M. Dowell)
Osceola took a 7-3 lead early in the second quarter when Wells rolled to his left, stopped to reset himself, and threw a 17-yard pass over the middle to DeWayne McGee in the back of the end zone.

Wells also rushed for an 11-yard score in the fourth quarter as one of eight players getting the chance to run behind the Kowboys’ massive offensive line.

“We had a couple slips up here and there, but that’s the beauty about it, it’s a preseason game and we can look back on this and work on it,” said Osceola senior lineman Nash Nelson.

The Kowboys managed to amass more than 225 yards against the Class 8A defending state champions but turned the ball over three times and missed a field goal after being stopped while inside the red zone.

Dr. Phillips was largely held in check due to multiple big plays by the likes of Mario Kendricks, Jacob McKenney, Najah Sylvester and Boris Espinosa.

Senior Jaquarri Powell made the first of his two fumble recoveries on muffed punts to put the Panthers in scoring position in the first quarter. Riley Stephens then booted a 32-yard field goal for the first-ever points in the new stadium.

Dylan Ruiz recorded a sack and forced a fumble in the fourth, which was recovered by Bryce Barrett, to set up an 11-yard TD run by Rashaun Dudley with seven minutes to play.

Osceola 21, Dr. Phillips 3

3 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

I’m way more interested in than the North Gwinnett-Wekiva and Milton- Cardinal Gibbons games. Thoughts on those? 

I know Wekiva is going to be a better team, but I'm not sure they beat NG.   Is it in GA?    Gibbons at full strength should be a good match for Milton, but Gibbons' best player is out for 3-4 weeks so I might still give them the edge.   

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/broward/fl-sp-bogle-update-20180818-story.html

5 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I know Wekiva is going to be a better team, but I'm not sure they beat NG.   Is it in GA?    Gibbons at full strength should be a good match for Milton, but Gibbons' best player is out for 3-4 weeks so I might still give them the edge.   

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/broward/fl-sp-bogle-update-20180818-story.html

Gibbons is gonna lose. Anytime you lose your best player your chances of winning a big dramatically decrease. 

Milton is at home and the stadium will be rocking. They played a regular season game against a nationally ranked team and beat them down. 

Gibbons played Jimmy Buffet High in the preseason. They will be battered and bruised against Miami Central win or lose then Milton puts the nail in the coffin. 

10 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Gibbons is gonna lose. Anytime you lose your best player your chances of winning a big dramatically decrease. 

Milton is at home and the stadium will be rocking. They played a regular season game against a nationally ranked team and beat them down. 

Gibbons played Jimmy Buffet High in the preseason. They will be battered and bruised against Miami Central win or lose then Milton puts the nail in the coffin. 

Did i mention we beat IMG with our reigning 2 time defensive MVP out with injury 😂 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 954gator said:

All those games are at Milton HS. 

Along with AHP vs SJR, Chaminade vs Muscle Shoals, and Mainland vs Bob Jones

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

This is the most ridiculous post Ive ever seen... 1 player doesnt have that much affect, unless its a QB.

Milton won by 2 points... Thats not a beatdown.

Milton is pretty much unranked in any Top 100. CG should destroy them.

Cardinal Gibbons will have an excellent warm up game in Miami Central.

CG is a top FL team and should be ready.

Wekiva is a top FL team and should be ready.

The rest is crap.

10 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

This is the most ridiculous post Ive ever seen... 1 player doesnt have that much affect, unless its a QB.

The rest is crap.

Milton and NG in running clocks 

7 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

The rest is crap.

It's just how I see it.  Wekiva has some talent, but they've never played an OOS game.   NG has been there and done that and the games are in Ga.    Bogle is a HUGE part of Gibbons' D.   They don't have the depth of some bigger Fl schools so it will definitely affect them.   I guess we'll know more after Miami Central.   I think Miami Central will take that one.  

DP shuffled guys in and out all game. All starters were out when it was 7-3 Osceola in the 3rd.

Dr. Phillips and Osceola are the favorites out of 8A Region 2 for a final four spot. 

DP defense played lights out in the half the starters played. Offense will see a big test this week in Lee County.. should be a good game.

5 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

DP shuffled guys in and out all game. All starters were out when it was 7-3 Osceola in the 3rd.

Dr. Phillips and Osceola are the favorites out of 8A Region 1 for a final four spot. 

DP defense played lights out in the half the starters played. Offense will see a big test this week in Lee County.. should be a good game.

I thought those 2 were region 2 of 8a?

21 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Lee County in a rout.

Kissimmee Osceola dismantled them. 21-3. That's a small rivalry and Dr Pepper wouldn't have just laid down for them. 

Nolebull, I’ve said it to you before... stop commenting on things you know nothing about. It’s embarrassing.

DP pulled their starters when it was 7-3 after the first possession of the 3rd quarter. Look at the film and you will see this. Ask one person in the know and you would know this.

DP does not give a damn about a kickoff classic. Last year we lost. The year before we were in a close game against a mediocre Jones team (14-6) and ended up going to the 8A final. One year recently we tied Winter Park 0.0.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Nolebull, I’ve said it to you before... stop commenting on things you know nothing about. It’s embarrassing.

DP pulled their starters when it was 7-3 after the first possession of the 3rd quarter. Look at the film and you will see this. Ask one person in the know and you would know this.

You just like the sound of your own voice.... err... the look of your own posts.

DP does not give a damn about a kickoff classic. Last year we lost. The year before we were in a close game against a mediocre Jones team (14-6) and ended up going to the 8A final. One year recently we tied Winter Park 0.0.

I will tell you, DP does not give a damn about the kickoff classic.

Nolebull is trying to lower expectations for the FL teams in case they lose an OOS game, or in case they win .. He can be like seeee FL rules.

2 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Nolebull is trying to lower expectations for the FL teams in case they lose an OOS game, or in case they win .. He can be like seeee FL rules.

That is clearly Nole's strategy.

I'm not 100% confident in Lee. Their opponent was just god awful. Hell, Pelham would have beat them by multiple scores. Lol