Louisiana - Please explain ECA

Texasball

This season is setting up like 2016 for Evangel.

Evangel was crushed by Allen and Monroe Neville in 2016  Evangel then went on to win 12 in a row and the D1 Title.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/evangel-christian-academy-eagles-(shreveport,la)/football-fall-16/schedule.htm

I can't figure these guys out at all so I'm done trying.

Maybe they become a "team" when they get drilled early in the season.

I thought CE Byrd might hang with Evangel a quarter or two tonight, but I was WRONG.

The thing is they played 3 oos teams and got skull dented. Then they went back to Lousiana and look like world beaters. Lousiana is a really bad state for football so it's not hard to do what they are doing. 

The 3 oos teams exposed them as frauds on a national stage. This has been going on for a very long time. That's why it was so preposterous that Curtis was ranked over Desoto in 2012. No Lousiana team would ever be better than every Texas team on any given year 

Louisiana as a whole is barely at the TAPPS level 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

The thing is they played 3 oos teams and got skull dented. Then they went back to Lousiana and look like world beaters. Lousiana is a really bad state for football so it's not hard to do what they are doing. 

The 3 oos teams exposed them as frauds on a national stage. This has been going on for a very long time. That's why it was so preposterous that Curtis was ranked over Desoto in 2012. No Lousiana team would ever be better than every Texas team on any given year 

Louisiana as a whole is barely at the TAPPS level 

I'm starting to believe you. 😎

John Curtis Football:     Bishop Lynch wouldn't win 4A.   They went to La. 

8/30 Landry-Walker (New Orleans, LA)
(W) 42 - 18

9/6 Bishop Lynch (Dallas, TX)
(W) 21 - 14

9/14 @ Parkview Baptist (Baton Rouge, LA)
(W) 21 - 0

9/21 Brother Martin (New Orleans, LA)
 (W) 45 - 16

9/27 @ Easton (New Orleans, LA)
(W) 38 - 20

10/5 @ Jesuit (New Orleans, LA)
(W) 23 - 0

7:00p @ St. Augustine (New Orleans, LA)
(W) 58 - 22

30 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

It's what all of Louisiana knows...

1-5A has weak defenses and is weak in general.

Caj, Reb, and I have pointed this out a billion times already lol.

Grats Evangel on winning 1-5A....again...

I don't know La. So if I look at the other games everyone else will have lit them up like ECA? Unless I am looking at the wrong District.  Only ECA seems to be smoking those teams.   Which other team is doing this in the District to another?  They got real good on offense in Wk #4.  Wk 1 -3 not so good.  Dunne, NLR and Dville.   Dunne has a decent Defense and Dville is fast.  Don't know about the Dudes from Swineville on Defense. 🤘 Would you say those teams are so much better?  No one has scored more than 19 vs. Dunne.  I get that.  Skyline sucks so I don't know about D'ville's Def truthfully.  ECA scored 14 on them that's more than the 3 duds Dville has played so far. 

31 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

It's what all of Louisiana knows...

1-5A has weak defenses and is weak in general.

Caj, Reb, and I have pointed this out a billion times already lol.

Grats Evangel on winning 1-5A....again...

Hard to believe Parkway beat Pulaski Academy, AR......CE Byrd beating Bishop Dunne then getting worked by Haughton and Evangel. lol

It's all BS really...no science to it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I don't know La. So if I look at the other games everyone else will have lit them up like ECA? Unless I am looking at the wrong District.  Only ECA seems to be smoking those teams.   Which other team is doing this in the District to another?  They got real good on offense in Wk #4.  Wk 1 -3 not so good.  Dunne, NLR and Dville.   Dunne has a decent Defense and Dville is fast.  Don't know about the Dudes from Swineville on Defense. 🤘 Would you say those teams are so much better?  No one has scored more than 19 vs. Dunne.  I get that.  Skyline sucks so I don't know about D'ville's Def truthfully.  ECA scored 14 on them that's more than the 3 duds Dville has played so far. 

Ill go more in depth on this later.

(Currently at work)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DevilDog said:

First off...Nolebull has an agenda against LA so anything he says about them is automatically null and void to me.

Aight...to address District 1-5A.  It's simply not that good this year.  You could take any of those 3 teams that beat Evangel and they would most likely finish top 2 in the district.

Teams in 1-5A:

Airline Vikings (2-5) - Lost a ton from last seasons surprising quarterfinal run.  Got bopped by 3A (Union), 4A (Bastrop), and 5A (Ruston) Monroe teams.  Union also beat Evangel in a scrimmage so they're no slouch in 3A this year.  Only wins are against 3A North Webster and district cupcake Southwood.  Evangel beat them 39-10.

Not a good luck from the largest Bossier Parish school.

Haughton Buccaneers (6-1) - Most would say Haughton at 6-1 is the surprise team of 1-5A.  That is until you see that their wins are against the 5th, 4th, and 8th place teams in District 1-4A.  They actually struggled against Woodlawn before pulling away late and have given up their share of points.  They did beat Byrd 42-21 (1st time since joining 5A they have done this).  Even then they didn't stop Byrd on Defense.  Byrd just couldn't stop the speed of Haughton and was forced to pass when down 14 (fatal for an option team most times)

Evangel is the only team to hold Haughton under 20 points (Evangel won 50-19).  Evangel's RB Tamague Sloan ran for over 250 on the Bucs.

Parkway Panthers (3-3) - Yes they upset Arkansas Power Pulaski Academy 30-22 (Pulaski's only loss so far btw).  What most may not remember is Parkway's starting QB Armani Larry got hurt near the end of this game and is currently out (spiral break of right fibula).  His little brother Gabe (a sophomore) is holding it down best he can.  But you can only ask an inexperienced Sophomore QB to do so much...Especially when his 1st start came against Evangel the folliwing week (Evangel won 56-20 with Sloan running for almost 300 yards).

2pts against Captain Shreve (Lost 23-2), 13 points against Byrd (Lost 31-13) won't get it done either by the way.

Southwood Cowboys (1-6)

What good can you say about a football team with 6 WINS SINCE 2010 (3 0-10 seasons included)?  Well...they've actually won a game this season (Beat 1-4A cupcake Huntington 18-3).  Evangel was playing 3rd string by halftime (Won 48-12).  No need to go in depth on them.

Captain Shreve Gators (5-2)

The "Little Brother" and fierce rival to Byrd.  This team has suffered so many heartbreaking losses to Byrd it's ridiculous.  This year their game-winning FG was blocked in a 27-25 loss to Byrd.  Shreve's other loss??  A 42-35 loss to Haughton in which Haughton was up 21pts before QB Peyton Stovall was injured (AC Sprain in shoulder iirc).  3 of their wins...Against area cupcakes BTW (Shreveport) and Huntington.  So how is Shreve a surprise then?  They are actually WINNING winnable games.  They won't beat Evangel when they play tho.

C.E. Byrd Yellow Jackets (5-2).  I CANNOT get a gauge on this team.  But this years version (while better than the past 3 yrs) apparently has speed issues.  Not only did Haughton burn them...Evangel did yesterday.  Apparently Byrd was so caught up on stopping Sloan that they got lit up in the passing game (Evangel's weakness).  This team also survived against (Bishop Dunne and Captain Shreve).  BUT they beat Sulphur (somehow)

So this 5-2 squad could just as easily be 2-5.  They get struggling Airline next week tho.

To sum it up...Evangel's running game is better than everyone else's defense in the district.  When you can run for 250t yards...Why pass?  Their D is shutting down inept offenses.  Parkway has gone to running game approach, Airline STILL can't decide on a QB.  Haughton's season is 1 solid hit on the QB away from disaster.  Byrd can't hold on to the ball (3 fumbles vs Evangel) and can't afford to turn it over with an inconsistent D.

Hope this clears up why Evangel is winning these games.  It's not that they improved leaps-and-bounds.  It's that they are basically taking what is given to them and winning in the trenches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

First off...Nolebull has an agenda against LA so anything he says about them is automatically null and void to me.

Aight...to address District 1-5A.  It's simply not that good this year.  You could take any of those 3 teams that beat Evangel and they would most likely finish top 2 in the district.

Teams in 1-5A:

Airline Vikings (2-5) - Lost a ton from last seasons surprising quarterfinal run.  Got bopped by 3A (Union), 4A (Bastrop), and 5A (Ruston) Monroe teams.  Union also beat Evangel in a scrimmage so they're no slouch in 3A this year.  Only wins are against 3A North Webster and district cupcake Southwood.  Evangel beat them 39-10.

Haughton Buccaneers (6-1) - Most would say Haughton at 6-1 is the surprise team of 1-5A.  That is until you see that their wins are against the 5th, 4th, and 8th place teams in District 1-4A.  They actually struggled against Woodlawn before pulling away late and have given up their share of points.  They did beat Byrd 42-21 (1st time since joining 5A they have done this).  Even then they didn't stop Byrd on Defense.  Byrd just couldn't stop the speed of Haughton and was forced to pass when down 14 (fatal for an option team most times)

Evangel is the only team to hold Haughton under 20 points (Evangel won 50-19).  Evangel's RB Tamague Sloan ran for over 250 on the Bucs.

Parkway Panthers (3-3) - Yes they upset Arkansas Power Pulaski Academy 30-22 (Pulaski's only loss so far btw).  What most may not remember is Parkway's starting QB Armani Larry got hurt near the end of this game and is currently out (spiral break of right fibula).  His little brother Gabe (a sophomore) is holding it down best he can.  But you can only ask an inexperienced Sophomore QB to do so much...Especially when his 1st start came against Evangel the folliwing week (Evangel won 56-20 with Sloan running for almost 300 yards).

2pts against Captain Shreve (Lost 23-2), 13 points against Byrd (Lost 31-13) won't get it done either by the way.

Southwood Cowboys (1-6)

What good can you say about a football team with 6 WINS SINCE 2010 (3 0-10 seasons included)?  Well...they've actually won a game this season (Beat 1-4A cupcake Huntington 18-3).  Evangel was playing 3rd string by halftime (Won 48-12).  No need to go in depth on them.

The "Little Brother" and fierce rival to Byrd.  This team has suffered so many heartbreaking losses to Byrd it's ridiculous.  This year their game-winning FG was blocked in a 27-25 loss to Byrd.  Shreve's other loss??  A 42-35 loss to Haughton in which Haughton was up 21pts before QB Peyton Stovall was injured (AC Sprain in shoulder iirc).  3 of their wins...Against area cupcakes BTW (Shreveport) and Huntington.  So how is Shreve a surprise then?  They are actually WINNING winnable games.  They won't beat Evangel when they play tho.

C.E. Byrd Yellow Jackets (5-2).  I CANNOT get a gauge on this team.  But this years version (while better than the past 3 yrs) apparently has speed issues.  Not only did Haughton burn them...Evangel did yesterday.  Apparently Byrd was so caught up on stopping Sloan that they got lit up in the passing game (Evangel's weakness).  This team also survived against (Bishop Dunne and Captain Shreve).  BUT they beat Sulphur (somehow)

So this 5-2 squad could just as easily be 2-5.  They get struggling Airline next week tho.

To sum it up...Evangel's running game is better than everyone else's defense in the district.  When you can run for 250t yards...Why pass?  Their D is shutting down inept offenses.  Parkway has gone to running game approach, Airline STILL can't decide on a QB.  Haughton's season is 1 solid hit on the QB away from disaster.  Byrd can't hold on to the ball (3 fumbles vs Evangel) and can't afford to turn it over with an inconsistent D.

Hope this clears up why Evangel is winning these games.  It's not that they improved leaps-and-bounds.  It's that they are basically taking what is given to them and winning in the trenches.

Thanks that's most I have ever read on La. Football.  So you explained how their district sucks we have a lot of that here as well.  So I should assumed Evangel will get smoked like the OOS teams did them when the playoffs start.  Can you explain why Lynch was JCs toughest opponent do they play in a terrible district as well?  Again thanx for the info

15 hours ago, RedZone said:

Hard to believe Parkway beat Pulaski Academy, AR......CE Byrd beating Bishop Dunne then getting worked by Haughton and Evangel. lol

It's all BS really...no science to it.

Trying to factor Dunne in will lead you down a dark road...They are not consistent and very easily out coached.

John Curtis dominated Lynch in most people's eye's that follow football....

Some of you people really need to grow up......I do know that's not possible though on this forum.

It was about to be 28-0 starting the 2nd quarter when Curtis fumbled heading into the endzone then the Lynch guy picks it up and runs 99 yds for Lynch TD. Biggest play for Lynch all night and that was a fluke TD.

Lynch barely broke 100 yds total offense. 52 yds rushing.

Curtis spent the 2nd half sleeping and bored. Played many kids though.

Matchup bishop-lynch-clear.png?bg=ffffff&fm=jpg&auto=format&q=40&w=40&h=40 default-clear.png?bg=ffffff&fm=jpg&auto=format&q=40&w=40&h=40
1st Downs 9 16
Total Yards 117 295
Passing 65 59
Comp-Att 10-18 4-5
Yards per pass 6.5 14.8
Interceptions thrown 0 0
Rushing 52 236
Rushing Attempts 27 44
Yards per rush 1.9 5.4
Penalties 8-99 12-114
Turnovers 1 2
Fumbles lost 1 2
Interceptions thrown 0 0

59 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Trying to factor Dunne in will lead you down a dark road...They are not consistent and very easily out coached.

It's NOT about Dunne. It's more about CE Byrd.

CE Byrd does well vs OOS teams beating Longview and Bishop Dunne recently. 

Another team hard to figure out. 

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Thanks that's most I have ever read on La. Football.  So you explained how their district sucks we have a lot of that here as well.  So I should assumed Evangel will get smoked like the OOS teams did them when the playoffs start.  Can you explain why Lynch was JCs toughest opponent do they play in a terrible district as well?  Again thanx for the info

JC was just sleep-walking imo.  The difference was Lynch didn't give up and made a game out of it.

The Catholic League normally has 3-4 good teams at the top.  The problem is St Aug is down and although Rummel is 6-1 they've been maddening inconsistent (according to Caj).

As for Evangel...If they run up against Catholic or JC...they will be holding Ls..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

Teams in 1-5A:

Southwood Cowboys (1-6)

That's more info than a guy that peddles debit life insurance in the inner city deserves.

You are too kind.

#newton

Didn’t Byrd lose their coach a few years ago?  I always thought they were very well coached, were hard to prepare for because they run such a unique offense, but lacked athleticism on many years.

Most people that know football in Texas/LA, knew Lynch would not beat Curtis.  Wasn’t at the game, and I don’t know what happened, but I was surprised Curtis didn’t put them away.  Sometimes it happens.

9/10 times Dunne ain’t beating Byrd.  That requires discipline and great coaching.  They match up much better with a team like Evangel.

36 minutes ago, FloTex said:

Didn’t Byrd lose their coach a few years ago?  I always thought they were very well coached, were hard to prepare for because they run such a unique offense, but lacked athleticism on many years.

Most people that know football in Texas/LA, knew Lynch would not beat Curtis.  Wasn’t at the game, and I don’t know what happened, but I was surprised Curtis didn’t put them away.  Sometimes it happens.

9/10 times Dunne ain’t beating Byrd.  That requires discipline and great coaching.  They match up much better with a team like Evangel.

Curtis made them look like JV team early.  Up 21-zip and  running threw Lynch with ease - Lynch recovered fumble at the goal line.  From that moment on Lynch defended them and had chances to at least tie them in regulation.  Guys can correct me if I am wrong - most of the yardage for Curtis was in the 1St qrt

I predicted JC blowout.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texasball said:

Curtis made them look like JV team early.  Up 21-zip and  running threw Lynch with ease - Lynch recovered fumble at the goal line.  From that moment on Lynch defended them and had chances to at least tie them in regulation.  Guys can correct me if I am wrong - most of the yardage for Curtis was in the 1St qrt

I predicted JC blowout.

Was at the game and half way through the first quarter I thought I could leave at half for something to eat.    However, the fumble was a big play and JC went real conservative with their offense from that point forward.    Actually I thought Lynch outplayed them from mid-first quarter on.    I attributed that to Lynch running directly onto the field to start the game.     They warmed up, went to the dressing room and came out just seconds before the kickoff.    Kids simply ran right onto the field.    The first play was an 80 yard touchdown run for JC.  It seemed the Lynch kids were on their heels until the fumble recovery and then we had a game.

4 hours ago, FloTex said:

Nope...Coach Suggs still there...22 seasons and counting.

Suggs, who is begins his 21st season at Shreveport’s oldest public school, is the dean of northwest Louisiana area coaches. He owns a 146-78 (.652) record at Byrd. With a reputation of producing quality, competitive, well-coached football teams, Suggs will have to generate a 2018 team with similar characteristics to be better than average.

49 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

Nope...Coach Suggs still there...22 seasons and counting.

Suggs, who is begins his 21st season at Shreveport’s oldest public school, is the dean of northwest Louisiana area coaches. He owns a 146-78 (.652) record at Byrd. With a reputation of producing quality, competitive, well-coached football teams, Suggs will have to generate a 2018 team with similar characteristics to be better than average.

Thanks.. I thought one of the Shreveport veteran coaches got ran off a few years ago.

Byrd is always very well coached.  You can out athlete them, but they will be prepared.

50 minutes ago, FloTex said:

Thanks.. I thought one of the Shreveport veteran coaches got ran off a few years ago.

Byrd is always very well coached.  You can out athlete them, but they will be prepared.

I think you meant Feaster of Parkway maybe?  But Parkway is on the Bossier side.

Bossier = Sister city to Shreveport.

Area is normally referred to as Shreveport/Bossier.

22 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

I think you meant Feaster of Parkway maybe?  But Parkway is on the Bossier side.

Bossier = Sister city to Shreveport.

Area is normally referred to as Shreveport/Bossier.

That’s him!  Had it confused.  I grew up an hour south of there on the TX side, and have generously given to the Bossier and Shreveport casinos.