What’s up with CIF San Diego Section Playoffs

On2whls

San Diego section shows a four team open division playoff and a 12 team D1 bracket with 4 teams having a first round bye. 

Torrey Pines, Carlsbad, Cathedral, and Oceanside in the open bracket.  Helix, La Costa Canyon among teams with first round byes in the D1 bracket.

i haven’t paid much attention, is that normal for that section?

16 minutes ago, On2whls said:

San Diego section shows a four team open division playoff and a 12 team D1 bracket with 4 teams having a first round bye. 

Torrey Pines, Carlsbad, Cathedral, and Oceanside in the open bracket.  Helix, La Costa Canyon among teams with first round byes in the D1 bracket.

i haven’t paid much attention, is that normal for that section?

Oceanside isn’t in the open San Marcos is.Torrey Pines and Cathedral will play for the right to play Narbonne in a regional is my guess

1 minute ago, Ararar said:

Oceanside isn’t in the open San Marcos is.Torrey Pines and Cathedral will play for the right to play Narbonne in a regional is my guess

Oops my bad.  Has it always been that way?  I watched Cathedral easily handle Serra Gardena early this year.  QB played every snap from under center and threw maybe 8 passes.  They were tall on the lines but lean and incredibly disciplined.  Tons of misdirection on offensive line created good running lanes mostly off tackle.  

5 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Oops my bad.  Has it always been that way?  I watched Cathedral easily handle Serra Gardena early this year.  QB played every snap from under center and threw maybe 8 passes.  They were tall on the lines but lean and incredibly disciplined.  Tons of misdirection on offensive line created good running lanes mostly off tackle.  

I thought it was an 8 team tournament in years past.Torrey Pines beat San Clemente who beat MV.Cathdral has had very good teams in recent years as well

edit:Last year was an 8 team tournament 

37 minutes ago, bigrobstercraws said:

This is what the SS should do. Just 4 teams in the Open. Most years, it's predictable. This year the top 3 are in D1. This would allow 2 big things:

1. A more competitive D1 bracket. One that isn't so predictable. 

2. So Cal allowing its 2nd and 3rd best team to play in separate regional games.

I like that. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

I like that. 

Thanks. It would also have an impact on D2-D4. It would pull the best 4 from each bracket up a notch making it a more competitive playoffs. I'd argue the top teams in D4 can compete/beat some of the best in D2 as the teams stand today. 

I think this format helps public schools. 

3 hours ago, bigrobstercraws said:

This is what the SS should do. Just 4 teams in the Open. Most years, it's predictable. This year the top 3 are in D1. This would allow 2 big things:

1. A more competitive D1 bracket. One that isn't so predictable. 

2. So Cal allowing its 2nd and 3rd best team to play in separate regional games.

Given the current landscape this would be good for the SS.  However, I also like how San Diego kept the D1 bracket at 12 and assigned byes for week one

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ararar said:

There are 52 section champions 25 regional games and 13 state bowl games.When you start sending non section champions to regional games it means a section champ can’t go 

I get that. So why exclude D1 when the SS has 13 divisions right now? There were multiple SS teams in the regional games last season. You could scale up and eliminate the lowest division team that qualified thus sending better teams into those bowl games.

32 minutes ago, bigrobstercraws said:

I get that. So why exclude D1 when the SS has 13 divisions right now? There were multiple SS teams in the regional games last season. You could scale up and eliminate the lowest division team that qualified thus sending better teams into those bowl games.

That’s not how it works.since an open and D1 are basically the same division the D1 champ gets bumped and the open runner up goes in its place.Thats how a team like Crenshaw wins a SBG.They lost the City open to Narbonne but took the place of D1 champion San Fernando 

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

That’s not how it works.since an open and D1 are basically the same division the D1 champ gets bumped and the open runner up goes in its place.Thats how a team like Crenshaw wins a SBG.They lost the City open to Narbonne but took the place of D1 champion San Fernando 

Then why did Chino Hills, the CIF SS D1 Champ also win a state title in basketball?

Is this rule just for football? Or is this your assumption on how the rule works?

2 hours ago, Ararar said:

Crenshaw beat Placer 46 - 43 in the 2017 D4AA SBG.

1 hour ago, bigrobstercraws said:

Then why did Chino Hills, the CIF SS D1 Champ also win a state title in basketball?

Is this rule just for football? Or is this your assumption on how the rule works?

SS Basketball rules allow a D1 runner up to participate in the State Championship playoffs. Of MD's 12 State titles many were won while losing in the SS Championship Game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigrobstercraws said:

Basketball isn’t football 🏈 the rule for football works just how I explained it