Ohio Playoffs Round 5 (Championship) Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Colerain vs. St. Edward - Colerain 24 Ed's 21

Colerain beat Pick Central 28-14 in a hard fought smash mouth game. Pick Central is a very physical, gritty, athletic team that fought hard. Pick Central had a very good defense, anchored by their huge DLine with 2 huge D1 power 5 recruits. They did a very nice job defending the option and keeping Colerain from hitting the big play, but ultimately couldn't stop Colerain from methodically moving the ball...........The Colerain Defense did a good job pressuring Crenshaw and covering his receivers. A scary moment happened right after half when Colerain's Ivan Pace was helped off the field and carried onto the trainer's table. He looked in a lot of pain and couldn't put weight on his ankle. While he was out, Pick Central got some defensive stops, blocked a punt, and scored. After multiple taping attempts, Ivan went back into the game and took over the game again and led the Cards to victory. Colerain got the semifinal monkey off their back. 

St. Edward beat Olentangy Liberty 42-16. Turnovers really played a big part in the first half. Liberty had three costly turnovers in the first half, all 3 of which led to Ed's scores. Ed's had a nice drive in the 3rd to really take command of the game. Liberty didn't quit, but they just couldn't make up the points. Ed's QB Dzuro had a great game with a very balanced attack rushing and passing. Castleberry and Kent were great compliments to Dzuro. 

Colerain vs. Ed's was my preseason pick for the title game, and while Ed's had some early losses, they've really found the right personnel and are playing at a high level. Colerain also had their share of adversity when their biggest and best D1 OL Rusty Feth (6'5 305) went down for the season on the 3rd play of Colerain's week 2 game against St. X.

This will be the first time that Colerain and St. Edward have played each other. Although Colerain has been knocking on the door nearly every year, this is Colerain's first trip to the Finals since 2004. In recent memory, Ed's has been to the Finals in 2010, 2014, and 2015.....winning all 3 titles against Wayne.

As far as the matchups go.......Colerain received some good news this week: OL Rusty Feth is cleared to play and should be back this week. Colerain will look to pound the ball with Ivan Pace, and hit some outside sweeps and pitches. Maybe hit some downfield passes. Colerain went to double TE's in the 2nd half last week, putting in LB's Bolden and Phillips, and they couldn't be stopped......Ed's defense struggled with the run earlier in the year and against Euclid. They've been playing much better recently though........... On the other side of the ball, Ed's will be the best offense Colerain has faced to date. Ed's has a big OLine, a good QB Dzuro who can pass and run, a nice shifty and quick RB in Castleberry, and great WR's in Kent and Wainwright. The Colerain Defense will have their hands full. Throughout the playoffs Colerain's Defense has brought good pressure and had excellent coverage, which has resulted in a lot of coverage sacks/tackles. However, the achilles heel to Colerain's Defense is their aggressiveness. If the Ed's QB can keep the play alive, and find an outlet, they can use the Colerain aggressiveness to their advantage.

Overall.....While I am impressed with Ed's Defense recently, there are still some results that would make me wonder how well they will be able to defend the Colerain option, which generally requires extreme discipline to defend, even for the teams that see Colerain all the time......On the other side of the ball, I am curious to see if Ed's decides to just run behind their massive OLine. This could give Colerain's D some problems. I look for a close game, but I think Colerain will be able to grind out the win.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Colerain vs. St. Edward - Colerain 24 Ed's 21

Colerain beat Pick Central 28-14 in a hard fought smash mouth game. Pick Central is a very physical, gritty, athletic team that fought hard. Pick Central had a very good defense, anchored by their huge DLine with 2 huge D1 power 5 recruits. They did a very nice job defending the option and keeping Colerain from hitting the big play, but ultimately couldn't stop Colerain from methodically moving the ball...........The Colerain Defense did a good job pressuring Crenshaw and covering his receivers. A scary moment happened right after half when Colerain's Ivan Pace was helped off the field and carried onto the trainer's table. He looked in a lot of pain and couldn't put weight on his ankle. While he was out, Pick Central got some defensive stops, blocked a punt, and scored. After multiple taping attempts, Ivan went back into the game and took over the game again and led the Cards to victory. Colerain got the semifinal monkey off their back. 

St. Edward beat Olentangy Liberty 42-16. Turnovers really played a big part in the first half. Liberty had three costly turnovers in the first half, all 3 of which led to Ed's scores. Ed's had a nice drive in the 3rd to really take command of the game. Liberty didn't quit, but they just couldn't make up the points. Ed's QB Dzuro had a great game with a very balanced attack rushing and passing. Castleberry and Kent were great compliments to Dzuro. 

Colerain vs. Ed's was my preseason pick for the title game, and while Ed's had some early losses, they've really found the right personnel and are playing at a high level. Colerain also had their share of adversity when their biggest and best D1 OL Rusty Feth (6'5 305) went down for the season on the 3rd play of Colerain's week 2 game against St. X.

This will be the first time that Colerain and St. Edward have played each other. Although Colerain has been knocking on the door nearly every year, this is Colerain's first trip to the Finals since 2004. In recent memory, Ed's has been to the Finals in 2010, 2014, and 2015.....winning all 3 titles against Wayne.

As far as the matchups go.......Colerain received some good news this week: OL Rusty Feth is cleared to play and should be back this week. Colerain will look to pound the ball with Ivan Pace, and hit some outside sweeps and pitches. Maybe hit some downfield passes. Colerain went to double TE's in the 2nd half last week, putting in LB's Bolden and Phillips, and they couldn't be stopped......Ed's defense struggled with the run earlier in the year and against Euclid. They've been playing much better recently though........... On the other side of the ball, Ed's will be the best offense Colerain has faced to date. Ed's has a big OLine, a good QB Dzuro who can pass and run, a nice shifty and quick RB in Castleberry, and great WR's in Kent and Wainwright. The Colerain Defense will have their hands full. Throughout the playoffs Colerain's Defense has brought good pressure and had excellent coverage, which has resulted in a lot of coverage sacks/tackles. However, the achilles heel to Colerain's Defense is their aggressiveness. If the Ed's QB can keep the play alive, and find an outlet, they can use the Colerain aggressiveness to their advantage.

Overall.....While I am impressed with Ed's Defense recently, there are still some results that would make me wonder how well they will be able to defend the Colerain option, which generally requires extreme discipline to defend, even for the teams that see Colerain all the time......On the other side of the ball, I am curious to see if Ed's decides to just run behind their massive OLine. This could give Colerain's D some problems. I look for a close game, but I think Colerain will be able to grind out the win.

Great write up as usual and I will have some in depth write up later

a couple things here now. Colerain a great team not getting the national recognition up until perhaps this point. They are the favorite going 14-0 and having 12 running clocks I believe.

Eds on O will have to be very good with QB Dzuro mixing the read option with some quick seam routes and if with some time going over the top where Colerain is most vulnerable. 

Colerains D success has been blowing up the line while Ed’s best response has been to take it on and run right at it.

Ivan Pace Jr Colerains best star at FB and LB will have to be held in check. Defensely for Ed’s Soph CJ Hankins will need to have a big game like he has the last 7 weeks since starting which had changed their D.

Eds keeps it close the first half and gets a couple turnovers then they are in this one,

this game feels like Ed’s 2015 team where no one favored Ed’s over Wayne only to have first year coach Tom Lombardo’ s team play a great game and win.

• Thanks 1

Been waiting for this review all week and you didn't disappoint Coletrain06.  Exactly what I expected.

I am going to be a little more bullish on our Cards this week.  Pick Central concerned me last week.  They are the same kind of team as Colerain and that causes us troubles, as you noted.  They are fast at multiple positions and can cause havoc.  Styles Jr. was very impressive for a Sophomore.  When the punt snap went over SANDUSKY'S head, I thought, "Here we go again!" and yet...it didn't.  He calmly picked up, avoided a tackle (no idea how), and proceeded to punt it 50 yards to the PC 6, before it was returned to the 15.  At that point I knew....this team is different.  And they are going to show that on Friday night.

Dzuro is a good QB, no doubt.  But he isn't going to present something to this defense they haven't seen before.  And this defense has been lights out good all season long.  They aren't 2004, but they don't have to be.  In fact, I'm not even sure I disagree with your 21 point prediction for St. Edward.  A bad turnover or penalty-laden drive is bound to hurt this defense at some point.  Feels like they are due to give up a silly TD.

It's on the other side of the ball I am excited to watch.  As much as Colerain "struggled" against Central last week (28 points, 328 yards), I think they are going to do very well this week against St. Edward.  While the Eagles played Cass Tech and Euclid, they haven't seen this combination of speed and execution this season.  They gave up 35 points to Euclid...and that was just 3 weeks ago.  Are you telling me Colerain can't score 35 on St. Edward but Euclid can?  I don't think so.  I think Ivan Pace Jr. is going to show the entire state why he deserved to AT A MINIMUM be a finalist for Mr. Football and I look for the OL to be rejuvenated by the return of Rusty FETH, although I don't expect him to either start or get a whole bunch of playing time. 

Colerain - 42
St. Ed's - 17

State Championship #2 makes it way back to 8801 Cheviot Road!

-93CardinalsFan

1 hour ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Been waiting for this review all week and you didn't disappoint Coletrain06.  Exactly what I expected.

I am going to be a little more bullish on our Cards this week.  Pick Central concerned me last week.  They are the same kind of team as Colerain and that causes us troubles, as you noted.  They are fast at multiple positions and can cause havoc.  Styles Jr. was very impressive for a Sophomore.  When the punt snap went over SANDUSKY'S head, I thought, "Here we go again!" and yet...it didn't.  He calmly picked up, avoided a tackle (no idea how), and proceeded to punt it 50 yards to the PC 6, before it was returned to the 15.  At that point I knew....this team is different.  And they are going to show that on Friday night.

Dzuro is a good QB, no doubt.  But he isn't going to present something to this defense they haven't seen before.  And this defense has been lights out good all season long.  They aren't 2004, but they don't have to be.  In fact, I'm not even sure I disagree with your 21 point prediction for St. Edward.  A bad turnover or penalty-laden drive is bound to hurt this defense at some point.  Feels like they are due to give up a silly TD.

It's on the other side of the ball I am excited to watch.  As much as Colerain "struggled" against Central last week (28 points, 328 yards), I think they are going to do very well this week against St. Edward.  While the Eagles played Cass Tech and Euclid, they haven't seen this combination of speed and execution this season.  They gave up 35 points to Euclid...and that was just 3 weeks ago.  Are you telling me Colerain can't score 35 on St. Edward but Euclid can?  I don't think so.  I think Ivan Pace Jr. is going to show the entire state why he deserved to AT A MINIMUM be a finalist for Mr. Football and I look for the OL to be rejuvenated by the return of Rusty FETH, although I don't expect him to either start or get a whole bunch of playing time. 

Colerain - 42
St. Ed's - 17

State Championship #2 makes it way back to 8801 Cheviot Road!

-93CardinalsFan

Games play out like they do.  St. Edward will not get routed 42 to 17.  I like Colerain to win but it will be a dog fight either way.

10 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

I like Colerain by 10-14.

I also like Hoban by pretty much whatever score they prefer. 

Also looking forward to the Wyoming/Girard matchup...has the potential to be a basketball score

Yes, I really wish it was on Friday, so I could stick around in Canton and support our other Cincy team

Just now, whiteshoes said:

Anywhere on Direct TV?

Nope, unfortunately not.  Spectrum bought the rights to all playoff games in Ohio so they dictate all coverage.

Sucks...I know.  I live in Northern KY and we don't have Spectrum.  Thankfully, I use a family members online login info to watch the games live and archived.  😏  I might be willing to jeopardize his account for a nominal fee...🤑 LOL

-93CardinalsFan

Great preview Coletrain.  This is a finals matchup that many have predicted in years past, only to see one or the other (or both) come up short.  The '04 Eagles were a talented bunch with a lot of preseason hype, but ended up having to forfeit games, snuck in as an 8 seed, and then got hammered by a loaded Glenville team.  '06 was another year I though Ed's and Colerain were on a war-path to one another, but Boom Herron and WHG shocked the Eagles in the second round. A loaded Colerain team likewise got stunned by HD.  And honestly, in nearly every year from from 2010 to the present that talk of an Ed's-Colerain final was discussed.  These are the type of programs you hope too see square off on the big stage.

I can't even begin to predict what the final score will be (anything but a St. Ed's blowout wouldn't surprise me), but I agree that Colerain is the likely victor in this game. Pretty much everyone south of Columbus thinks this will be a blowout in favor of your Cards, but I'm not so sure about that. This will easily be the best offense Colerain has faced to date. Ed's can take advantage of aggressive defenses, and Dzuro has been fantastic at stepping up and finding running lanes when the pressure gets too much.  I expect Phillips to be in the backfield with regularity, just like Potter was for Mentor. And like they did against Mentor, I imagine you will see Ed's run away from him and dial up some screens or seam routes to the TE. The question will be whether Ed's will be able to sustain enough drives or spring a big play against this speedy Colerain D.  Everybody is talking up the triple option offense (which they should be), but it may ultimately be this Cardinal defense that wins them the game. I don't see many weaknesses on the film.  

As for Colerain's storied triple option offense, Lombardo has made no secret that they simply can't duplicate it in a practice setting in four days. The players and staff will simply have to adjust to it on the fly as best they can.  Colerain will get yards, and at times they will probably be large gains. Ed's has to find a way to limit the TD's early on and keep themselves in striking distance for the second half. We saw a very talented Euclid backfield carve Ed's up in the first half a few weeks back, only for Ed's to adjust at halftime.  But in that game, Euclid simply could not stop Ed's offense.  Colerain can, and a first half like that on Friday will probably see an insurmountable lead be built.  This will be a huge test for the sophomore CJ Hankins at his MLB spot, as well as Pietro and O'Malley on the edges. Have to tie up bodies at the LOS, string plays out, and give the safeties and OLB's a chance to come up and make plays.    

• Like 4

11 hours ago, RedZone said:

When did Hoban turn the corner and how did they do it....they were pretty bad for a long time.

They getting some players?

IMO once Tim Tyrrell became the HC the program turned the corner

he played at Youngstown State under Jim Tressel and coached under him along with coaching at Chaminade-Madonna in Florida.

they are getting players that used to travel to Ed’s & Iggy along with SVSM in their back yard. Maybe Cardinal Mooney & Ursuline also.In fact an Eds starting LB transferred there a week before the season began, Devon Hightower who is offered at Michigan State.

34 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Great preview Coletrain.  This is a finals matchup that many have predicted in years past, only to see one or the other (or both) come up short.  The '04 Eagles were a talented bunch with a lot of preseason hype, but ended up having to forfeit games, snuck in as an 8 seed, and then got hammered by a loaded Glenville team.  '06 was another year I though Ed's and Colerain were on a war-path to one another, but Boom Herron and WHG shocked the Eagles in the second round. A loaded Colerain team likewise got stunned by HD.  And honestly, in nearly every year from from 2010 to the present that talk of an Ed's-Colerain final was discussed.  These are the type of programs you hope too see square off on the big stage.

I can't even begin to predict what the final score will be (anything but a St. Ed's blowout wouldn't surprise me), but I agree that Colerain is the likely victor in this game. Pretty much everyone south of Columbus thinks this will be a blowout in favor of your Cards, but I'm not so sure about that. This will easily be the best offense Colerain has faced to date. Ed's can take advantage of aggressive defenses, and Dzuro has been fantastic at stepping up and finding running lanes when the pressure gets too much.  I expect Phillips to be in the backfield with regularity, just like Potter was for Mentor. And like they did against Mentor, I imagine you will see Ed's run away from him and dial up some screens or seam routes to the TE. The question will be whether Ed's will be able to sustain enough drives or spring a big play against this speedy Colerain D.  Everybody is talking up the triple option offense (which they should be), but it may ultimately be this Cardinal defense that wins them the game. I don't see many weaknesses on the film.  

As for Colerain's storied triple option offense, Lombardo has made no secret that they simply can't duplicate it in a practice setting in four days. The players and staff will simply have to adjust to it on the fly as best they can.  Colerain will get yards, and at times they will probably be large gains. Ed's has to find a way to limit the TD's early on and keep themselves in striking distance for the second half. We saw a very talented Euclid backfield carve Ed's up in the first half a few weeks back, only for Ed's to adjust at halftime.  But in that game, Euclid simply could not stop Ed's offense.  Colerain can, and a first half like that on Friday will probably see an insurmountable lead be built.  This will be a huge test for the sophomore CJ Hankins at his MLB spot, as well as Pietro and O'Malley on the edges. Have to tie up bodies at the LOS, string plays out, and give the safeties and OLB's a chance to come up and make plays.    

Good summary. Only problem with them running away from Phillips side is Ivan pace waiting on the other side already penetrating... either way it’s a match up I’ve waited years to see.  

1 hour ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Nope, unfortunately not.  Spectrum bought the rights to all playoff games in Ohio so they dictate all coverage.

Sucks...I know.  I live in Northern KY and we don't have Spectrum.  Thankfully, I use a family members online login info to watch the games live and archived.  😏  I might be willing to jeopardize his account for a nominal fee...🤑 LOL

-93CardinalsFan

I live in Northern Kentucky and have Spectrum.  Haven't missed any of the big games.  

Great write-up, as always.

Many of us have said, that this Colerain team is "different" from past, high quality teams they have had.  I believe there is something special about this team that is more than their play on the field.  15 starters (I think) back from last years team).  Senior dominance.

But what I have seen is an "attitude" that the recent past teams have not had.  A mindset that simply says we are on a mission...... that mission ends tomorrow night.....as Ohio Division 1 State Champions.  

From myself, and many of my StX buddies...... Go Cards.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, prepsbill65 said:

Great write-up, as always.

Many of us have said, that this Colerain team is "different" from past, high quality teams they have had.  I believe there is something special about this team that is more than their play on the field.  15 starters (I think) back from last years team).  Senior dominance.

But what I have seen is an "attitude" that the recent past teams have not had.  A mindset that simply says we are on a mission...... that mission ends tomorrow night.....as Ohio Division 1 State Champions.  

From myself, and many of my StX buddies...... Go Cards.

Agree about this team feeling different all year, And CF nailed the exact moment (punt against Pick Central) I knew that they were indeed different. 

I had a feeling this group was different when I read in the preseason that a lot of the football players decided amongst themselves to get together every Sunday night all summer and just practice timing, passing, and drills.......when you see the interviews, all the players are completely unselfish, having a good time, and don't care who scores one bit. 

The support is awesome.......When X won the title 2 years ago, it was among the weirdest feelings in my life, as I was in a bar cheering loudly for St. X!