Jeff Herron is an all time great HS coach.

HooverOutlaw

1 minute ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Lol

What's your reasoning @Bormio?

Both Hanna and Dutch Fork have been utterly dominant in state in a way not seen since Byrnes was running rampant.  DF is a much better team this year than the one that went to Allen a few years ago and gave them fits.  Herron was new at Hanna last year - this year they have eliminated the mistakes they were making last year. Sure Georgia 7A is deeper and better than SC 5A, but the difference at the top is not normally that great.  But Hanna and DF are so far above the rest of the state this year.  Meanwhile, l do not think Georgia has that type of wow team this year.  I truly think either Hanna or DF could have won it all in Georgia this year.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Both Hanna and Dutch Fork have been utterly dominant in state in a way not seen since Byrnes was running rampant.  DF is a much better team this year than the one that went to Allen a few years ago and gave them fits.  Herron was new at Hanna last year - this year they have eliminated the mistakes they were making last year. Sure Georgia 7A is deeper and better than SC 5A, but the difference at the top is not normally that great.  But Hanna and DF are so far above the rest of the state this year.  Meanwhile, l do not think Georgia has that type of wow team this year.  I truly think either Hanna or DF could have won it all in Georgia this year.

Ask Coach Herron. He'll be honest and tell you if he thinks they could or not. I believe that. 

I also believe if we asked Rush he'd be honest too. 

I don't doubt it'd be a good game. Especially due to history between those two guys.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Ask Coach Herron. He'll be honest and tell you if he thinks they could or not. I believe that. 

I also believe if we asked Rush he'd be honest too. 

I don't doubt it'd be a good game. Especially due to history between those two guys.

DF will be favored over Hanna - they are really explosive.  But Hanna has played better teams in recent weeks, and we will see if DF can slow the Wing-T.  Knotts at DF is a great coach as well.

DF is going for a 3-peat.  Not done in large class SC since Spartanburg in the mid-90s.  Although Byrnes won 4 straight 4A-Div 2 titles in the early 2000s And was likely the best team in the state all those years.

• Like 3

As far as the topic goes... Herron is damned sure an all time great. He knows how to get everything out of his kids and they love to give it to him. 

Part of me is glad he is gone off to South Carolina, the other part wishes he was still at Camden. I loved to hate his Camden squads. Nobody left those games without bruises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bormio said:

DF will be favored over Hanna - they are really explosive.  But Hanna has played better teams in recent weeks, and we will see if DF can slow the Wing-T.  Knotts at DF is a great coach as well.

That will be one hell of a match up. It's also a bonus of the Colquitt game being mid week on the 12th. I can watch all the weekend games. 

This one is definitely a radar game if I can stream it somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bormio said:

Although Byrnes won 4 straight 4A-Div 2 titles in the early 2000s And was likely the best team in the state all those years.

Think they lost to Gaffney a couple of those seasons (2002-2005) but were still quite possibly the best team in the state.  I know they lost to an inferior Gaffney in 2004.

8 hours ago, Bormio said:

DF is going for a 3-peat.  Not done in large class SC since Spartanburg in the mid-90s.  Although Byrnes won 4 straight 4A-Div 2 titles in the early 2000s And was likely the best team in the state all those years.

Herron had some great Camden teams that didnt win State here. Obviously 3 that did though in 03, 08, 09.

That said... Colquitt has been that Wow team all season long except against a tough matchup last night.

Archer could beat either of those teams themselves. 1 close game against a tough matchup doesnt wipe away a season of dominance.

Herron is very good.

7 hours ago, btango said:

Think they lost to Gaffney a couple of those seasons (2002-2005) but were still quite possibly the best team in the state.  I know they lost to an inferior Gaffney in 2004.

They did lose to Gaffney in ‘04 - a true upset.  But they would have beaten Rock Hill who won the Big 16.  They lost OOS to Evangel Christian in ‘02 or ‘03, but crushed both Spartanburg in ‘02 and Gaffney in ‘03 who won the Big 16 those years.  And their best team was ‘05.

48 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Herron had some great Camden teams that didnt win State here. Obviously 3 that did though in 03, 08, 09.

That said... Colquitt has been that Wow team all season long except against a tough matchup last night.

Archer could beat either of those teams themselves. 1 close game against a tough matchup doesnt wipe away a season of dominance.

Herron is very good.

Maybe, but is this Colquitt’s best team recently?  My impression is no - but others might have better insight.  I do think they are Georgia’s best.