Navy Instructor Pilots Refusing to Fly Over Safety Concerns

DevilDog

1 minute ago, noonereal said:

maybe tomorrow

My theories on how and why are not easily shared on a message board. 

And that's what I'm talking about,what makes you think the basis of your argument of what needs to be changed is even accurate?   What gives you this insight...reading a book?

nonetheless, I'll entertain it.

1 minute ago, thc6795 said:

Don't agree about all serving. Being in the military takes a special breed.

fair, but all should serve... lot's of other ways to serve your society for two years

one thought, in Vietnam, if it were a volunteer army, would we ever have pulled out? 

it was in large part because of a draft, all with a bit of a tooth in the game, that protests finally ended our involvement 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

And that's what I'm talking about,what makes you think the basis of your argument of what needs to be changed is even accurate?   What gives you this insight...reading a book?

nonetheless, I'll entertain it.

mostly just contemplation

you should know by now, I see things as if no template is in place and when one does that, very different ideas emerge

past practice is responsible for tons of bad ideas, designs, templates 

18 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Not all, by any stretch.

The military is a great fit for certain people, not a great fit for others, and just a place to go for plenty. I wouldn't consider plenty to be of a special breed.

I don't agree with this Max.  I was in the AF for 20 and we long did away with it being a place for folks to "hang out".   It's difficult to get in and most tech schools are competitive, so one really needs to have the desire to want to serve, move around, etc.  and the few special ops jobs we have are even more rigorous and intense. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

No.

I mean no offense by this. Your opinion of what it takes to serve in the military means shit to me. I served for 13 yrs in the USMC proudly. I stand bye what I said. It takes a special breed to volunteer to go into harms way. Anyone who enters for whatever reason understands that they may possibly see combat.  Once you have been in combat regardless a week or 2 tours you have earned everything the military has to offer.  

2 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

I mean no offense by this. Your opinion of what it takes to serve in the military means shit to me. I served for 13 yrs in the UMC proudly. I stand bye what I said. It takes a special breed to volunteer to go into harms way. Anyone who enters for whatever reason understands that they may possibly see combat.  Once you have been in combat regardless a week or 2 tours you have earned everything the military has to offer.  

That's fine, I don't demand that my opinion mean anything to you.

I know, from experience with veterans whether they be relatives or friends or co-workers or neighbors or whoever, that certainly not all were a special breed. And not all served proudly. And not all experienced combat.

We disagree. I can be as adamant about my opinion as you of yours.

Just now, maxchoboian said:

That's fine, I don't demand that my opinion mean anything to you.

I know, from experience with veterans whether they be relatives or friends or co-workers or neighbors or whoever, that certainly not all were a special breed. And not all served proudly. And not all experienced combat.

We disagree. I can be as adamant about my opinion as you of yours.

You sure seem to have a problem for those who served. This is the second or third time you have stated a negative experience in regards to Vets.

9 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I don't agree with this Max.  I was in the AF for 20 and we long did away with it being a place for folks to "hang out".   It's difficult to get in and most tech schools are competitive, so one really needs to have the desire to want to serve, move around, etc.  and the few special ops jobs we have are even more rigorous and intense. 

Are you saying it is difficult to get in to certain areas in the military, or difficult to get in, period?

There is no question there are competitive, intense, top-knotch roles (and people) in the military. A lot of them. But not all of them, by any stretch as I mentioned.

5 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

I mean no offense by this. Your opinion of what it takes to serve in the military means shit to me. I served for 13 yrs in the UMC proudly. I stand bye what I said. It takes a special breed to volunteer to go into harms way. Anyone who enters for whatever reason understands that they may possibly see combat.  Once you have been in combat regardless a week or 2 tours you have earned everything the military has to offer.  

Yea, I remember when I was stationed in Germany and going to landstuhl hospital and talking to the troops that were injured in Iraq and all they could talk about were their units and getting back on their feet to go back over.  Not getting better and taking the next plane back to the states...

thats a special breed!  And I'm talking about some with some serious injuries.  That's why I shut the hell up and am not quick to say "let's go get 'em! " when war talk heats up. 

2 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

You sure seem to have a problem for those who served. This is the second or third time you have stated a negative experience in regards to Vets.

I don't have a problem with those who served at all. I just don't think every single person who served deserves accolades and/or to be considered a special breed.

Do you think those who choose the challenges of going to college right out of high school are a special breed? Probably not all of them, and I'd agree.

Just now, Horsefly said:

Yea, I remember when I was stationed in Germany and going to landstuhl hospital and talking to the troops that were injured in Iraq and all they could talk about were their units and getting back on their feet to go back over.  Not getting better and taking the next plane back to the states...

thats a special breed!  And I'm talking about some with some serious injuries.  That's why I shut the hell up and am not quick to say "let's go get 'em! " when war talk heats up. 

I agree 100%. I lost some great friends. Some way to gruesome to describe to a few posters who never served trying to tell me what it takes to serve, that's for sure. If you never served you have no idea. People think its all mom dad and American pie. Or you're an adrenalin junkie. You do it for those friends in your unit. You fight and want to get back because you know there isn't anyone else in the world who will have your back like they will. You sure don't do it for message board posters.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I don't have a problem with those who served at all. I just don't think every single person who served deserves accolades and/or to be considered a special breed.

Do you think those who choose the challenges of going to college right out of high school are a special breed? Probably not all of them, and I'd agree.

Lets see  right out of high school go to college or join the Marine Corps? Which kid is a special breed? Easy for me to answer.

12 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Lets see  right out of high school go to college or join the Marine Corps? Which kid is a special breed? Easy for me to answer.

Some people cannot handle the pressure of academics in college, just as some can't handle making that step from the Navy to the Marines. And don't pretend I was only referring to Marines or Seals or Rangers. I was also including people like the parking lot attendant in our building -- you might consider him special, but in a different way. He was just plain old Navy, he said.

Just now, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

maybe they can be serve the country other ways than militarily

I agree 100%. However to volunteer to serve in the military with the understanding that you may be put in harms way and you very well may end up dead...takes a special breed.

1 minute ago, maxchoboian said:

Are you saying it is difficult to get in to certain areas in the military, or difficult to get in, period?

There is no question there are competitive, intense, top-knotch roles (and people) in the military. A lot of them. But not all of them, by any stretch as I mentioned.

I will only speak for the AF, but it's difficult to get in period and they are not accepting many applicants and the specialties needed the most are the highly technical, operational career fields which are competitive.  The ones just killing time, most will be weeded out before they go to an operational base.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/eligibility-requirements/how-to-prepare-for-todays-competitive-air-force.html

1 minute ago, maxchoboian said:

Some people cannot handle the pressure of academics in college, just as some can't handle making that step from the Navy to the Marines. And don't pretend I was only referring to Marines or Seals or Rangers. I was also including people like the parking lot attendant in our building -- you might consider him special, but in a different way. He was just plain old Navy, he said.

Max I feel any person willing to join any of our armed forces voluntarily knowing they may very well see combat, as being a special breed. Doesn't matter if you joined the Navy or the Coast Guard.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Absolutes are dangerous,  of course EVERYONE is not a special breed nor deserves accolades.  But generally speaking, they are...

• Like 1