Navy Instructor Pilots Refusing to Fly Over Safety Concerns

DevilDog

Interesting story Military guys.  VP Mike Pence's son is one of the Pilots affected he is a Marine 1st Lt.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/04/05/navy-instructor-pilots-refusing-fly-safety-concerns.html?ESRC=marine-a_170405.nl

More than 100 U.S. Navy instructor pilots are refusing to fly in protest of what they say is the refusal of top brass to adequately address an urgent problem with training jets' oxygen system, multiple instructor pilots tell Fox News.   

The boycott started late last week and has effectively grounded hundreds of training flights.

"The pilots don't feel safe flying this aircraft," one instructor pilot told Fox News.   

Among the hundreds of student pilots affected is Marine 1st Lt. Michael Pence, son of Vice President Pence -- a factor that could put added pressure on the Pentagon to resolve the dispute. 

4 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Interesting story Military guys.  VP Mike Pence's son is one of the Pilots affected he is a Marine 1st Lt.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/04/05/navy-instructor-pilots-refusing-fly-safety-concerns.html?ESRC=marine-a_170405.nl

More than 100 U.S. Navy instructor pilots are refusing to fly in protest of what they say is the refusal of top brass to adequately address an urgent problem with training jets' oxygen system, multiple instructor pilots tell Fox News.   

The boycott started late last week and has effectively grounded hundreds of training flights.

"The pilots don't feel safe flying this aircraft," one instructor pilot told Fox News.   

Among the hundreds of student pilots affected is Marine 1st Lt. Michael Pence, son of Vice President Pence -- a factor that could put added pressure on the Pentagon to resolve the dispute. 

Fix it and make it right, these folks risk a lot.

8 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

And WHOSE FAULT DO YOU THINK that THAT is MORON? Your boy Barry GUTTED the military, and left the Air Force to cannibalizing spare aircraft for parts, to keep the main force in the air! And in order to fix the issues, it takes CONGRESSIONAL APPROVAL for additional funding! Of which the CLOWN ASS, LAME ASS DEMS are having no part of!

39 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Fix it and make it right, these folks risk a lot.

Exactly I wouldn't fly in them either.  And then the comment above.  One reason I don't participate in these type forums. Figured a few disciplined Military guys would respond and then tragedy happened the last surviving member of the MAYFLOWER have F%%%d it up in post #3 already.  Blame Obama, liberals, BLM, and what other obsession's you harbor and let civility reign on this topic.   That fool called me a Moron on a story that I have not one damn thing to do with but found it interesting. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

Whose fault was this ???What administration downgraded our military, changed rules of engagement, who made our military pussies ????? NOBAMA !!!! Served under two Democrats who like to appease.. 

Will you stfu about Obama and actually read the damn article!  It's about potential coverup of problems that were exposed several years ago and the Navy appears to be turning a blind eye.

• Like 6

Many people don't like that we spend so much on military but that's the single thing that lets us have the freedom we do and many around the world. 

We need to continue spending and improving technology ahead of the world to keep that freedom. 

We need to maintain and make sure we have enough of our equipment that soldiers use. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

Many people don't like that we spend so much on military but that's the single thing that lets us have the freedom we do and many around the world. 

We need to continue spending and improving technology ahead of the world to keep that freedom. 

We need to maintain and make sure we have enough of our equipment that soldiers use. 

Agree, but the military needs to spend what they have wisely and stop the smoke and mirrors routine in their transparency.  They spend over $1T+ on the F-35, that has shown in tests to not be fully effective.  That's a ton of money but what is not being reported is DOD spends over $70B/yr on RDT&E.  basically $$ thrown their way to dream up new cramp to build, that also includes research on the 6th generation fighter!  The DOD is not broke!  They mainly need to get a grip on fraud, waste and abuse...that program is out of control

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Here's an article that is 30 years old and talks about the Air Force cannibalizing parts for aircraft.  It's been a long standing practice and is nothing new.  

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/16/us/lacking-parts-armed-forces-cannibalize-costly-warplanes.html

Why bother sir?  Obama had to be in his early 20's and living in Hawaii he had to walk past Hickam Field and see an AF Jet.  That is the only explanation.  Ignorance is the new norm along with alternative facts and well Obama practically is the reason for all failures.  Thank God they got their MAGA.

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Agree, but the military needs to spend what they have wisely and stop the smoke and mirrors routine in their transparency.  They spend over $1T+ on the F-35, that has shown in tests to not be fully effective.  That's a ton of money but what is not being reported is DOD spends over $70B/yr on RDT&E.  basically $$ thrown their way to dream up new cramp to build, that also includes research on the 6th generation fighter!  The DOD is not broke!  They mainly need to get a grip on fraud, waste and abuse...that program is out of control

Plus the Navy, USMC and AF all are getting them.  That has to be some serious overkill alone.  The AF and USMC have discovered serious flaws with this Jet. Hopefully all will be worked out for each service.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

You are correct as I did NOT read the article...  Whe it comes to him, at times, i become arbitrary and capricious in my comments.

When it comes to commenting, you are the runaway leader in coming back and admitting you were wrong in something you posted. To be able to admit you are wrong is noble, but when done as frequently as you do it becomes much less noble and more and more an indication that you just type shit and see if anyone calls you out on it. It's difficult to be taken seriously under such circumstances.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

And WHOSE FAULT DO YOU THINK that THAT is MORON? Your boy Barry GUTTED the military, and left the Air Force to cannibalizing spare aircraft for parts, to keep the main force in the air! And in order to fix the issues, it takes CONGRESSIONAL APPROVAL for additional funding! Of which the CLOWN ASS, LAME ASS DEMS are having no part of!

lol

maybe mismanagement and sourcing.... shall we say,improprieties are more the problem? 

There is no doubt that the biggest single source of waste in the government budget is the military, why are we not all clamoring to fix it?

The military needs a complete overhaul. Needs to be structurally redesigned from who enlists to benefits to procurments to EVERYTHING . 

Throwing money at it is the worst idea ever. 

2 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

When it comes to commenting, you are the runaway leader in coming back and admitting you were wrong in something you posted. To be able to admit you are wrong is noble, but when done as frequently as you do it becomes much less noble and more and more an indication that you just type shit and see if anyone calls you out on it. It's difficult to be taken seriously under such circumstances.

emotion and passion can cause this... (I would suggest misguided! )

no biggie, he's cool 

lol

Just now, Drummer61 said:

That is another of my faults..

What is? Posting comments that may or may not be true, and then admitting you are wrong on a much larger percentage of them than anyone else? Not a good look. Luckily, that can be fixed easily. Unless it isn't a concern, in which case you'll just keep doin' you.

34 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

No, not fully reading posts before I comment on them. 

You fully read every stupid book ever published though....you say you do, at least.

My gut says you read a couple sentences you like and roll with your old man agenda.

Read more....post less.

8 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

You fully read every stupid book ever published though....you say you do, at least.

My gut says you read a couple sentences you like and roll with your old man agenda.

Read more....post less.

he is a history buff fair and square

nothing wrong with that at all

11 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Here's an article that is 30 years old and talks about the Air Force cannibalizing parts for aircraft.  It's been a long standing practice and is nothing new.  

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/16/us/lacking-parts-armed-forces-cannibalize-costly-warplanes.html

This is far from a military only issue, deferred maintenance, upgrades, or replacement.

We've had to buy replacement parts off ebay (more often than I'd care to admit) and we're in the upper tier for wastewater plants that do a comprehensive PM program.

Good for these soldiers sticking up for themselves.  Maintenance budgets aren't as sexy as a new fighter jet, but their safety should outweigh that exponentially.

13 hours ago, Drummer61 said:

Whose fault was this ???What administration downgraded our military, changed rules of engagement, who made our military pussies ????? NOBAMA !!!! Served under two Democrats who like to appease.. 

Imagine believing anything that this little whinny bitch just wrote above.

11 minutes ago, GloryDays said:

This is far from a military only issue, deferred maintenance, upgrades, or replacement.

We've had to buy replacement parts off ebay (more often than I'd care to admit) and we're in the upper tier for wastewater plants that do a comprehensive PM program.

Good for these soldiers sticking up for themselves.  Maintenance budgets aren't as sexy as a new fighter jet, but their safety should outweigh that exponentially.

I don't think the DOD does a budget or do accounting or have audits.  Ever!  Only agency or department that doesn't I think.  Its a black hole for our money.  I wouldn't give one more dime until they start to keep up the acct. books. If it's important enough to spend that much money then it's important enough to have a budget/audit.

32 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I don't think the DOD does a budget or do accounting or have audits.  Ever!  Only agency or department that doesn't I think.  Its a black hole for our money.  I wouldn't give one more dime until they start to keep up the acct. books. If it's important enough to spend that much money then it's important enough to have a budget/audit.

I would imagine that there is still a pretty finite amount of money to go around.

And fixing training jets doesn't make the priority list without something like this happening, unfortunately.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GloryDays said:

I would imagine that there is still a pretty finite amount of money to go around.

And fixing training jets doesn't make the priority list without something like this happening, unfortunately.

Its strange to me that with all the checks/balances and oversight in the military, one Admiral can fu#@ up so much and nobody does anything.  

As an aside, the power a base commander has in determining rape cases is ridiculous and doesn't seem to be helpful to women in uniform.  Nothing like rape talk on a Saturday morning to get your day headed in the right direction.?

• Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 2:25 PM, DevilDog said:

Exactly I wouldn't fly in them either.  And then the comment above.  One reason I don't participate in these type forums. Figured a few disciplined Military guys would respond and then tragedy happened the last surviving member of the MAYFLOWER have F%%%d it up in post #3 already.  Blame Obama, liberals, BLM, and what other obsession's you harbor and let civility reign on this topic.   That fool called me a Moron on a story that I have not one damn thing to do with but found it interesting. 

Cmon Gunny

its Rab

hes our SOCIntellectual 

intersting to me that you say you wouldn't fly in them either -- at what point does the line move on whether you follow orders?

as far as I know, the only thing on the other side of that line is an unlawful order 

safety is, of course, an imperative, but am not totally comfortable with effectively is organized mutiny 

wish this would have been handled by normal channels of complaints/ resolution rather than active service members effectively striking

(but sounds like someone wasn't making good decisions above the instructors, so am sympathetic)