Illinois Thread 2019

Bones

On 9/8/2019 at 7:18 AM, abbatt said:

Bones,

Maine South used to have good size on the lines up till 2 years ago. In 2017 when they upset Loyola 27-17 to win state they were 6`5--340.....6`5...265....6`3...245......6`2...255. Not sure what is happening in Park Ridge.

I am not overly impressed by anyone in 8A this year......I think if Bolingbrook plays strong DEF...they can compete with most teams.

Waubonsie Valley plays at Trinity this week.....I think that they will challenge them...but I like Trinity by 2 Td`s plus. They will certainly give them a better game then Arch Bishop Moeller did...41-0 !! What has happened to Moeller ??

I watched  some of ESL/ Trinity last night and it was excruciating....penalties on every other snap......blown assignments.....lazy blocking....Some of these teams think that the game is only about Speed and athletic ability. ESL won 32-0.... but left 3-4 Td`s on the field with stupid penalties and TO`s.

Cardinal Ritter may be the best team in MO. this year after they beat Luther North 27-13. Christian Brother`s beat Evansville only 44-27. last week EV beat a crappy McClure North, Mo team 7-6.

It just feels like this season will stumble forward with not a whole lot to be excited about.

Abbatt,

None of what you witnessed would have happened with a Bob Shannon coached ESL team. When he left it was all down hill for their program. While enjoying a slight revival, they will  never get back to that elite level without stronger discipline and direction.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:05 AM, abbatt said:

Omaha Vol,

I forgot about DeSmet Jesuit......They have a good Def for Mo. If they can avoid getting into a shoot-out with CB they can beat them....Hard to assess IL....IND......Michigan......they all seem down......I saw ST.Ed`s had a bit of a game with Cass tech yesterday...41-20...not very impressive considering Chicago Phillips beat Cass tech 26-9 at CT the week before with 2 Td`s called back.

I think that Ohio is also continuing a downward trend.....and Hoban is still over-ranked.......see how they do against St.Ignatius....after watching MD destroy Centennial Az 71-21......I feel that they would do that or worse to any Midwest team including Hoban or Mentor.

Eds didn't have trouble with Cass Tech 

Coletrain06,

41-20 isn`t very impressive....Ed`s was sloppy and gave up a lot of yards.......i expected more from St.Ed`s because of their previous game against Mentor. I don`t think the Ed`s coaches were happy with the Def effort...but it`s early and it`s a win after their tough loss to Mentor.

If Hoban drills Ignatius...then i will be impressed.

Gospeeder...i saw ESL in person in 1985 when they came up to the Chicago area for a non-conference game against Barrington and also in 1984 at Dyche stadium at Northwestern in the championship game against Downer Grove. Both games were blow-outs......Barrington was demolished 60-6 and Downers Grove was pounded 38-6. ESL was very disciplined with freak speed and athletes......their def was so fast they almost couldn`t be blocked. I wish that they could have played Houston Yates in those 2 years....they would have been great games       Omaha Vol.....I`m comparing Ohio to what the state was 10 years ago....and I feel that they are down over-all. They are still a very good football state with more top coaches than any other state. !0 years ago Ohio`s top teams could compete with the best of Florida....TX...Ca.....but not today. Of course their weren`t these Jr. college High school`s then either.

ESL beat NV 50-48. I like ESL on offense, but the D leaves a lot to be desired. Entertaining game, but I like defense. Based on the 2 games I saw I can't have ESL #1 in the state. The two sources that rank the classes have NV ranked #9 in 8A and not ranked in the top 10 at all. 

I like East, but they have to address that D. They'll still win 5A likely, but Montini may give them a go.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2019 at 5:03 AM, abbatt said:

I`m going with H-F.....28-21......Their speed will contain the Nequa QB.

A lot of solid teams in Illinois this year...but no really very good teams like years past.

Good call. HF game planned well for this one.

Agreed about this season. IL appears to be really off but at least the playoffs seem to be wide open. Some not so usual programs in the bunch.

What are your thoughts about Prairie Ridge? After whacking Simeon as bad as St Francis did, can they play with ESL?  Is Minooka legit?

Gospeeder,

I picked H-F because of their speed and huge OF line.......

Prairie Ridge is very good.......Well-coached, disciplined fast and physical.Yes they can play with ESL and beat them....ESL had 28 penalties yesterday for 228 yds.....and they still beat Rock Island 70-28 in the 2nd round play-offs.

Minooka is legit...11-0  beating up on a pretty decent Edwardsville team 34-17. They are another well-coached Senior dominated team that over-achieves.

Loyola beat Glenbard West 28-27....Lincoln- Way East led 23-0 at the half and cruised to a 23-13 win over Niles Notre Dame.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Hey @abbatt!!!! @Bones @Gospeeder 

Who you got? Mt Carmel or Naz Academy?? 

That's going to be a tough one to call. MC has the pedigree, Naz has the athletes.

MC has that "it factor" this year where they always seem figure out the way to win. Naz has an aerial circus that is probably among the best in IL. and noteworthy in the national landscape. If the weather really sucks I like MC. If the elements are reasonable with a firm turf, it will favor Naz.

I think both @abbatt and @Bones can give a better assessment of how this game plays out than myself as they have seen these teams in person ( I think ) and are closer to the local insiders.

8A, Warren and LWE should also be pretty interesting.

Yes...the Weather will be a factor........in the low 40`s...high 30`s.....Windy ....steady rain early....heavier after 6 p.m........It`s really difficult to say whom it will favor......Mount Carmel has a big OF line....avg...6`3....290 lbs...hard running RB`s...if they can pound Naz`s athletic Def front...and wear them down the the Weather will favor MC. Naz has a very good passing attack with 3 Div 1 recruits at QB and Wr`s.They will severely test MC`s secondary.

prediction  MC wins 21-20 for 7A crown

ESL over Prairie Ridge 40-28 for 6A crown....Too much size and speed beats a very disciplined talented PR team.

LWE over Warren by 17-7. Two great Def. teams in the rain LWE 8A champs

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2019 at 7:44 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Thx. I recently spoke with the Phillips Academy HC. He said similar about the weather. If it's bad out, it'll benefit MC. 

Interesting guy who does not come across like the typical HC.

IMO, what he has accomplished at Phillips is nothing short of remarkable... considering all of the elements their kids and the school has had to overcome.