Illinois Thread 2019

Bones

So I was wrong about Naperville C, at least for now, as Hinsdale C holds them to no TD's and two FG's and the NC defense also performed well. I am hoping NC gets it together on offense because they are in danger of not making the playoffs with LWE, Pickerington C, and EStL along with their conference schedule.

• Thanks 1

Bones,

I read that the NC QB was throwing to hard at his receivers. This may be a strange year in ILL. I think Loyola loses today....also down the road to Mt.Carmel and maybe Marist will have their number this year as well. Bolingbrook bashed Proviso West 43-10...LWE beat Stevenson 30-7 and HF plays today against a good Penn, IN team. I also think that Nazarath is going to have a tough game against Cardinal Ritter...They have a good amount of talent and size on the lines. Waubonsie valley played well against OPRF and won but I still say that they get smeared at Louisville Trinity. They won last night at Warren central 17-14. I feel that NC is going to get pounded at Pickerington central. Like Iv`e said it`s a down year for IL.

• Thanks 1

HF beat TF North like a drum last night, not sure what sight has them playing today. As for NC the most improvement happens between week 1 and 2. I still think they have an opportunity to get their timing down, the problem is LWE isn't the team to work on your issues against.

Both OPRF and WV would likely beat us like a drum. Proviso W is really struggling right now. Their QB and RB were good though.

3 hours ago, Bones said:

So I was wrong about Naperville C, at least for now, as Hinsdale C holds them to no TD's and two FG's and the NC defense also performed well. I am hoping NC gets it together on offense because they are in danger of not making the playoffs with LWE, Pickerington C, and EStL along with their conference schedule.

Best part of following IL football... you just never know... despite what the preseason pundits predict.

• Like 1

Bones,

i said that this was a down year for Illinois....and it looks that way after week one. Even Montini struggled to beat a middle of the road Wisconsin team Hudson 22-7. Being ranked 6-7 in the Chicago area they should have blasted that team 50-0.Hudson lost their opener to Onalaska ,Wi, 21-14. Nazarath was better last year and had more size . They were beaten by a faster, stronger Cardinal Ritter team today.One of the problems that i see is that a lot of top IL teams are smaller on the lines than teams in other states. LA was really out-sized by Iggy today and it made a big difference. Maine South got wacked by GBW today....revenge is sweet.....but they look like a JV team outside of their 2 big linemen. NC will get pounded at Pickerington Central for the same reasons. ESL is one of the few IL teams that can somewhat hold their own OOS because of their size and speed. I saw that football numbers in IL are down by 25%. It`s making an impact on the quality of players available.

• Like 1

I just got home from the St. Ignatius-Loyola Academy game won by St. Ignatius 27-10.      LA looked really good in the first quarter as St. Ignatius did not cross mid-field.    LA scored first with a field goal but a costly interception, numerous penalties and a blocked punt deep in LA territory allowed St. Ignatius to score 27 unanswered points.    It might have been a costly game for St. Ignatius as their lead running back appear to suffer a knee injury late in the game.    

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

I just got home from the St. Ignatius-Loyola Academy game won by St. Ignatius 27-10.      LA looked really good in the first quarter as St. Ignatius did not cross mid-field.    LA scored first with a field goal but a costly interception, numerous penalties and a blocked punt deep in LA territory allowed St. Ignatius to score 27 unanswered points.    It might have been a costly game for St. Ignatius as their lead running back appear to suffer a knee injury late in the game.    

You pretty much nailed it. Loyola for the most part beat themselves. The no-scrimmage rule really hurts the IL teams and it showed in this game. LA will be fine come  playoff time.

• Like 1

East St. Louis is loaded this year....pounded Batavia  31-17 but that score is misleading because ESL scored 5 TD1s....they still can`t kick extra points so they leave points on the field every game.Why can`t they find one kid in their school who can be trained to kick the ball thru the uprights ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

I just got home from the St. Ignatius-Loyola Academy game won by St. Ignatius 27-10.      LA looked really good in the first quarter

Suggest that you watch a Big market game to fully appreciate the difference in skill levels of the teams you rank

multi loss (unranked) big market teams would roll most of your small market ranked teams

7 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Suggest that you watch a Big market game to fully appreciate the difference in skill levels of the teams you rank

multi loss (unranked) big market teams would roll most of your small market ranked teams

Gosh, I have watched St. John Bosco, Baltimore St. Frances, Miami Central, Houston North Shore amongst others.   Just what "big market teams" are you referring to?    Are you suggesting that teams from Chicago and Cleveland are small market teams?    I am going to a Cincinnati St. Xavier game in two weeks, can I consider that large market?      Is Indianapolis large market?     Need some help with this!!

• Like 2

Just now, whiteshoes said:

Gosh, I have watched St. John Bosco, Baltimore St. Frances, Miami Central, Houston North Shore amongst others.   Just what "big market teams" are you referring to?    Are you suggesting that teams from Chicago and Cleveland are small market teams?    I am going to a Cincinnati St. Xavier game in two weeks, can I consider that large market?      Is Indianapolis large market?     Need some help with this!!

Cincinnati, Chicago, and Cleveland are mid market.  Indianapolis is small to mid market.  Folsom is small market.

Greater LA, Miami Fl, Dallas, Houston, DC are large market.

Not.That.Complicated.

When you watch an Iggy vs LA game and say the teams were really good, we think you forgot you are posting on the National Board.  You need to qualify that statement by saying they were a really good small market team.

The 4th ranked team in the MD/DC area would roll every team in Cleveland, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Chicago.  Put that fact in your pipe and puff a few times before you put your small market teams so high in the polls.

Whiteshoes,

I believe that Sammy is referring to the quality of the teams in the market......not the size or population demographics. I don`t think that the 4th place team in the MD/DC area would roll every team in those markets......but they do have a very good chance of winning most games.

29 minutes ago, abbatt said:

Whiteshoes,

I believe that Sammy is referring to the quality of the teams in the market......not the size or population demographics. I don`t think that the 4th place team in the MD/DC area would roll every team in those markets......but they do have a very good chance of winning most games.

Agree that MD/DC have some great teams right now.    But I can also recall when Batesville, MS and River Ridge, LA were on top of the high school football world.    So to say that small markets cannot produce great football teams is just incorrect.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Cincinnati, Chicago, and Cleveland are mid market.  Indianapolis is small to mid market.  Folsom is small market.

Greater LA, Miami Fl, Dallas, Houston, DC are large market.

Not.That.Complicated.

When you watch an Iggy vs LA game and say the teams were really good, we think you forgot you are posting on the National Board.  You need to qualify that statement by saying they were a really good small market team.

The 4th ranked team in the MD/DC area would roll every team in Cleveland, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Chicago.  Put that fact in your pipe and puff a few times before you put your small market teams so high in the polls.

I have three teams from that area in my Top 11.    Hyattsville DeMatha was in my top 15 until getting destroyed by Bosco.   I currently have them in the four-five range in that area along with Our Lady of Good Counsel.     I do not think either of those teams are any better that Lakewood St. Edward, Akron Archbishop Hoban, Mentor, or Pickerington Central.     The last two years Indiana has had two teams (Ben Davis in 2017 and Warren Central last year) that were both Top 10 and could play with anybody in the country.     I will always be of the opinion that four or five loss teams in so-called major markets are not any better than the dominant teams from mid-market cities.

Whiteshoes,

It`s all relative........many small markets can produce very good teams ...but you can`t realistically lump them in with the top markets. In your state Bishop Chatard...Avon ...even a few of the Dune league teams are always pretty good....but only compared to other teams like them. You see what happens if they play the bigger teams in your state. Big is small to something bigger......small is big to something smaller. There are markets with-in markets....subdivisions with-in subdivisions...etc..etc.

• Like 2

No excuses. We have got to be better. Losing to Ritter is unacceptable. That team struggled mightily in week 2 last year with Cahokia. Sure teams get better or worse from year to year, but that was a runner-up team last year who got dismantled in the championship by Trinity.

With that said these are actual real teams, not these Voltron super teams like St. Frances. And still Simeon beats those superteams with a collection of local talent in basketball.

Bones,

Cardinal Ritter has some good talent and Naz isn`t as good as last year. I think Naz is over-rated this year....Marist will beat them again.

I believe that Montini`s showing against Hudson, Wi was actually a lot worse.That team is woefully average even by WI standards and they hung with the Bronco`s for 3 qt`s. Phillip`s win over Cass tech may have been the most impressive performance of all these games.

There could be a changing of the guard in IL this year in 8A....I really wasn`t impressed with the LA QB.......Unless it was by design.....he was running to much from sideline to sideline....made it difficult for his linemen to block for him.....was surprised that here weren`t more holding calls.I don`t see LA getting a lot better......not much OF and the DEF is way to small except for Nils Gombas.I`m not sure how impressive LWE`s win over Stevenson really was...30-7. It`s hard to really draw solid conclusions from week one....All IL teams are pretty shakey without scrimmages.......that`s why Phillip`s win was co impressive.

• Like 1

I just roll with LA until they get dethroned. Obviously with this loss I hope LA finishes last in their 4 team conference and gets blown out.

I watched Maine South @ Glenbard West and was surprised how little the MS skills guys are. They're really little. Glenbard West looked okay but we're getting carved up till the QB got hurt. The GBW running backs were smallish too but explosive and their OL dominated the MS DL. Even Skronski couldn't do anything about it.

Also went to ESL @ Batavia. It will be interesting to see how Batavia looks against a non P5 team lol. They have some massive linemen, like 6'9 and 6'8 and that Urwiler is dynamic. 

Overall you may be correct, this may be a year someone new breaks out. I'd go with LWE for now, but we'll know more after they play NC.

I think we beat SCN again next week and get no credit for it.... again. Not that I think we're good (I don't) but I think we're better than a lot of teams getting pumped up. And if we actually are the #19 in the state then the state is in trouble.