Illinois Thread 2019

Bones

Big Drop,

Those are great memories...but most of Chicago has become a gang-infested violent wasteland and war-zone. The corruption and greed is unmatched anywhere else in the country. I grew up on the North side and lived there until i was 22 years old......that was a long time ago.....but even then it was changing. I haven`t been in any part of Chicago for almost 28 years.Sure there are still decent areas....the Northwest side.....the Gold Coast.....but if you go several blocks West of there you are truely in a danger zone.There is a lot of culture in Chicago....great Museums....Restaurants....Architecture.. Entertainment... awesome Lakefront and Skyline..but now gangs of kids are attacking tourists on Michigan Ave....and an average of 10-12 people are shot and killed every week-end ...with dozens more injured.Almost the whole North and Northwest side is now metered or permit parking...to keep out undesirables.Many High schools are rundown shells of what they used to be. I don`t like the sterility of living in the suburbs.....and believe me they aren`t exactly safe either...bur it`s the lesser of two evils......at least for now. Sorry to be such a buzz-kill...but it is getting worse every day.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:37 PM, BigDrop said:

Thanks, abbatt.  I didn’t realize Loyola had played the TX and CA games.  And in Ireland!!! Really interesting.  Chuck Kyle must believe he is going to be good this year because in addition to hosting Loyola Iggy is travelling to D. C. to play DeMatha.

While I do think Ignatius will be good this year, the scheduling decisions are more about the lack of local schools willing to play Ignatius.  Definitely looking forward to the Loyola matchup.  Ignatius returns their QB Hanna, and ahtletic kid who will need to take the next step as a passer to really get the offense going how Kyle would like it. But his job should be made much easier throwing to Connor Cmeil (OSU Lax commit), a very talented and underrated receiver, as well as TE Sam Daugstrup (D1 offers) who returns after missing last season with an injury. When Ignatius has a quality pass-catching TE, the really know how to take advantage of it. Their o-line, while perhaps lacking the big names as years past, will once again be solid.  Defensively, the front seven should again be a strength. Questions will be in the secondary, where they may be playing offensive guys like Cmeil and Welsh both ways. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abbatt said:

Bones,

Simeon has one of the biggest OF lines in the state. If they can show well against St.Francis it would be very impressive. Their problem is lack of depth...I believe only 50 kids on the Varsity. I see Bolingbrook has more than a few 2-3 *

We're not going to be good. Soucie has us at 19th in the state I think, but that just means he's going off reputation. A reputation which is quickly eroding. 

Top games this weekend

East St. Louis @ Batavia

Pits arguably the most talented team against just a good football program and 2017 7A champs. Lots of Illinoisans are picking the Bulldogs to defeat the Uber talented 5A favorite Flyers. I went with EStL though.

Naperville C @ Hinsdale C

"The Grey Poupon Bowl" there will be a lot of Bentleys in the parking lot for this one. I think Naperville C will have too much talent as the Red Hawks defeat the Red Devils and get revenge for last year where HC staged a furious comeback to get the W.

Loyola vs Iggy (OH)

I don't know much about Iggy. But I have to go with Loyola because I gotta.

Cardinal Ritter (MO) @ Nazareth

MO state runner ups a year ago are probably going to take it on the chin here. I got a chance to see Ritter last season in week 2. They were several levels below Naz. Give me the Roadrunners in a laugher.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Not sure where I'm going tonight. Our game sucks and will be a blowout and if not that's even worse. Was going to go to Joliet Catholic @ St. Rita but Rita removed the visitor's bleachers and hasn't replaced them yet and it stands to be too many people there for one side of bleachers.

It's likely between Naperville C at Hinsdale C or Oak Park-River Forest (most MNC's in nation) @ Waubonsie Valley with my old man. Waubonsie plays Trinity (KY) later in the season while NC plays Pick C (OH)

Stevenson @ LWE is an option but I hate that drive

On 8/19/2019 at 5:58 PM, Bones said:

Article on Naperville Central. I guess the RedHawks are my adopted team this year.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/8/18/20810963/naperville-central-football-sam-jackson-chicago-high-school

They say they'll play anyone anywhere @GardenStateBaller

It wasn't that many years ago ( at least as I recall ) that NC was often in the top 20 or 10 in the national rankings prior to WWS national acceptance. Its good to see that they are making their way back to prominence.

Gospeeder,

Naperville Central finished at #5 in the USA Today national rankings for 2000. I doubt an Illinois team will ever be ranked that high again..top 30 is possible....but......not this year. Tomorrow Loyola will be severely out-sized by St.Ignatius...have to rely on their speed...quickness ...skill players to have a chance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abbatt said:

Gospeeder,

Naperville Central finished at #5 in the USA Today national rankings for 2000. I doubt an Illinois team will ever be ranked that high again..top 30 is possible....but......not this year. Tomorrow Loyola will be severely out-sized by St.Ignatius...have to rely on their speed...quickness ...skill players to have a chance.

Abbatt

I agree with you... as things stand now.  Problem for Loyola is the IHSAA restrictive rules and no scrimmages... of which, the skill players will be at a significant disadvantage with their timing etc. Its going to take some time before they get that down.

IL schools should not be doing OOS season openers.  Iggy  Loyola as a mid season game?... count me in to follow it. Two storied programs that would probably split their games over a ten year period.

As far as national prominence goes... I remember the time when the CCL was often considered among the absolute best conferences in the country, if not the best until the IHSAA put the clamps on them for admission to the association... in a effort to push more equity between CCL and the public's while at the same time generating more revenue. 

While the recruiting game goes on in IL, I respect the fact that it appears to be controlled and not the mercenary wild west we see out here in CA. The state has done a good job in keeping IL interesting come playoff time. While IL has its usual top dozen or so, just like every other state, it is not a given that one of those will prevail for a state title.

That could change in the social media era  ( I hope it doesn't )  but if that happens... the Mount Carmel's, ST Rita's, Brother Rice's, Loyola's of the area will be right there with the MD's, SJB's, ST Francis's, Allen's and STA's of the world.

MA Fan,

Not surprised at all........absurd opener for Simeon........no scrimmages before the season starts for Illinois teams .....huge difference in talent......I really don`t know what The Simeon coaches were thinking scheduling SFA period. MD.....SJB.......IMG....STA. SJC..etc..etc..etc.. would all do this to Simeon as well. These teams are at a way different level from  99.99 % of the actual High school teams in the country.

This game may have had something to do with the schools playing each other in the Charm City basketball showdown in Baltimore. Simeon has very good basketball teams each year....but they need to get more realistic about their Football team.

12 minutes ago, abbatt said:

MA Fan,

Not surprised at all........absurd opener for Simeon........no scrimmages before the season starts for Illinois teams .....huge difference in talent......I really don`t know what The Simeon coaches were thinking scheduling SFA period. MD.....SJB.......IMG....STA. SJC..etc..etc..etc.. would all do this to Simeon as well. These teams are at a way different level from  99.99 % of the actual High school teams in the country.

This game may have had something to do with the schools playing each other in the Charm City basketball showdown in Baltimore. Simeon has very good basketball teams each year....but they need to get more realistic about their Football team.

Yeah, I figured they built some relationship from playing in basketball the last couple years. Not necessarily a bad experience to play a top team even if they get beat badly.

55-0 was the final.

Hoops and football totally different animals for scheduling. A good, but not elite basketball team schedules say a Dematha or Oak Hill they get blown out and move on to the next one.

A good, but not elite football team does the same and they can get beat down physically and it can dramatically affect their season (ie. Injuries).

• Thanks 2

Cossacks,

i don`t know what Simeon`s expectations were for this game. Last year they pounded an Ohio defending state champ......Trotwood-Madison and maybe it went to their heads. There isn`t much of anything that they can take away from this game......being high school kids..it`s up to their coaches to re-balance them for their next game.They play a lower level team from Michigan and it would be to their benefit to play that game as if it`s their first game of the season.

20 minutes ago, abbatt said:

Cossacks,

i don`t know what Simeon`s expectations were for this game. Last year they pounded an Ohio defending state champ......Trotwood-Madison and maybe it went to their heads. There isn`t much of anything that they can take away from this game......being high school kids..it`s up to their coaches to re-balance them for their next game.They play a lower level team from Michigan and it would be to their benefit to play that game as if it`s their first game of the season.

That was 2 years ago against Ohio D3 😆 

last year and 2 years ago teams have little of the same unless they changed uniforms 

but nice victory for Simeon