Florida: Week 1 Top 25 and Class Rankings.

RedZone

17 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Josh has them ranked 5th in 7A, which probably is top 25 in FL in a who knows preseason poll.  

USchool to win 4A was a surprise choice... at first glance, I may have put them at 5th to start.   Ice leaving BTW  will hurt them, but they did play well vs Apopka (not sure how good they are).  

Without a doubt, 7A is the toughest class this year.   6A dropped.  4A looks solid and 5A and 8A look good.  

6a dropped but still a good class, just not as good as 7a or 8a this year 

5a also looks pretty good and 4a South is solid though 4a north isn't that good outside of Cocoa and Bolles which keeps 4a from overall being as strong as the 4 highest classes but the gap isn't as large as in the past

Also 3a and 2a seem to have good depth this year for a small class so don't sleep on them yet though that's just me noting them, they not at same level as the 5 highest classes

Just better than some from outside think atm

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yeah man, I was trying to find some justification for it and there just isn't one.   

They could very well win it

Just like Carol City, Cardinal Gibbons, BTW, Gulliver Prep or even Glades Central

Not even counting Bolles or cocoa in North

4a is not locked in stone by any stretch 954gator

Which was actually discussed over on my podcast a few weeks back that 4a South was wide open

• Like 1

Just now, Columbiafan said:

They could very well win it

Just like Carol City, Cardinal Gibbons, BTW, Gulliver Prep or even Glades Central

Not even counting Bolles or cocoa in North

4a is not locked in stone by any stretch 954gator

Which was actually discussed over on my podcast a few weeks back that 4a South was wide open

Ehhh.   I see three teams that I think can make it from the south and U school isn't one of them.  

15 hours ago, 954gator said:

I'm not sure an open division would work out since a lot of the best teams are in certain areas.    It would be awesome to have a couple classes merge, but I think we are far away from that happening.    

Count me as one who would love to see an open division in Florida. I've long held that the depth of quality teams and athletes in the state is unmatched anywhere else. Out of curiosity, why do you think the concentration of the state's top teams in certain areas would effect the possibility of an open division? 

46 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Count me as one who would love to see an open division in Florida. I've long held that the depth of quality teams and athletes in the state is unmatched anywhere else. Out of curiosity, why do you think the concentration of the state's top teams in certain areas would effect the possibility of an open division? 

Only because they would struggle to get the teams right IMO.   I don’t like the idea of a computer deciding who gets in etc.    I’d rather a super class with a regular bracket than an open division.   

2 hours ago, OdbCle said:

Because it already has.

The FHSAA tried to sell the open division idea during this past off-season and their listening tour, as far as I know, got zero proponents in South Florida.

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

Yeah they could

Same can be said with Chaminade and Miami Northwestern though it doesn't disprove the statement that they took a "dip" 

They may very well have, though question is will it matter

Honestly Chaminade has done NOTHING to even put them in the same breath as Carol City or Miami Northwestern.    The small school posters on the Florida site are enamored with Chaminade because they beat their small schools.   Don't buy it.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Honestly Chaminade has done NOTHING to even put them in the same breath as Carol City or Miami Northwestern.    The small school posters on the Florida site are enamored with Chaminade because they beat their small schools.   Don't buy it.  

No they haven't but even they aren't as strong as 2017 team 

Heck they not even as strong on paper as last year

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 4:55 PM, Columbiafan said:

1. Lakeland (7A), 0-0

2. St. Thomas Aquinas (7A), 0-0

3. Miami Central (6A), 0-0

4. Trinity Christian (Jacksonville) (3A), 0-0

5. Miami Northwestern (5A), 0-0

6. Deerfield Beach (8A), 0-0

7. Armwood (7A), 0-0

8. American Heritage (Plantation) (5A), 0-0

9. Chaminade-Madonna (3A), 0-0

10. Columbia (6A), 0-0

11. Mandarin (8A), 0-0

12. Columbus (8A), 0-0

13. Venice (7A), 0-0

14. NSU University School (4A), 0-0

15. Raines (5A), 0-0

16. Miami Southridge (6A), 0-0

17. Cardinal Gibbons (4A), 0-0

18. South Dade (8A), 0-0

19. Vanguard (5A), 0-0

20. Miami Carol City (4A), 0-0

21. Clearwater Central Catholic (3A), 0-0

22. Rockledge (5A), 0-0

23. Cocoa (4A), 0-0

24. Champagnat Catholic (2A), 0-0

25. Madison County (1A), 0-0

CLASS 8A

Rank, Team, Record

1. Deerfield Beach, 0-0

2. Mandarin, 0-0

3. Columbus, 0-0

4. South Dade, 0-0

5. Plant, 0-0

6. Western, 0-0

7. Riverview (Sarasota), 0-0

8. Vero Beach, 0-0

9. Miami Palmetto, 0-0

10. Apopka, 0-0

First Five Out
Seminole (Sanford), 0-0; Osceola (Kissimmee); Sandalwood, 0-0; Palm Beach Central, 0-0; Bartram Trail, 0-0

Jones is most certainly a top 25 team. And, at the very least, Spruce Creek should be ranked in 8A, probably as high as the top 5. 

• Like 1