Ohio Week 3 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Hoban (2-0) vs. St Ignatius (1-1) - Hoban 24-21

Hoban absolutely rolled Cardinal Mooney 49-0. Hoban looks very good. This is a game that everyone wants to see. Hoban beat Iggy last year, but can they do it again this year? With all of the experience that Hoban has back, they'll be up to the task. 

Iggy lost a back and forth game with Mentor last week 38-31. Iggy seems to be playing pretty well right now. I haven't had a chance to see this game yet. 

Last year Hoban was able to grind Iggy out at the end of the game and take the game. I expect another close game and wouldn't be shocked by either team winning. 

Pickerington Central (2-0) vs. Naperville Central (0-2) - Pick Central 28 Naperville 14

Pick Central had an unimpressive 20-14 win against Columbus East IN last week. Pick Central was up 20-0 late in the 4th when East scored a TD, recovered the onside kick, and then scored another TD. I'd like to hear more about this game. 

Naperville Central has lost to Hinsdale Central and were blown out by Lincoln Way East.

Pick Central has had a bit of a slow start this season, mostly due to some unfortunate sequences. I'm not sure how much they are using Crenshaw to run the ball, but I think they are much more effective with a mobile Crenshaw. 

St. Edward (1-1) @ Erie Cathedral Prep PA (3-0) - St. Edward 28 Cathedral Prep 10

Ed's dominated Cass Tech with great special teams, and good defense. Ed's returned the opening kickoff for a TD, blocked 3 punts, and had a pick 6. Ed's was a missed extra point away from a running clock late in the 3rd. 

Cathedral Prep is 3-0 and should be better than last year. They beat the Canadian All Star team, Football North (Clarkson) in week 0. 

Both teams play a similar style of offense. I really don't know how good Cathedral Prep will  be this year. Ed's is a team that usually starts out slow and makes great strides throughout the season. It may seem like an obvious statement, but with St. Edward, I feel more confident in them as the season progresses. I think Ed's wins this game.

Elder (2-0) vs. Clearwater Academy International FL (2-0) - Elder 28 Clearwater 21

Elder beat Indy Cathedral in OT 38-31. It was a back and forth game. Both teams had great offensive games, and both defenses struggled. Elder kicked a game tying FG with seconds left in the game. In OT, Elder scored first, and then Cathedral fumbled and Elder recovered.

I know nothing about Clearwater Academy, except they've dominated 2 crappy Florida teams. 

I don't know what to make of this game. Seems like a game Elder should win. However, Florida teams usually have tons of speed, and that is Elder's achilles heel. 

La Salle (2-0) vs. Mansfield MA - La Salle 20 Mansfield 10

So La Salle has dominated both Lakota West and Mason so far. It appears La Salle may have a pretty good team this year, but its hard to tell because neither opponent is very good this year. So far La Salle has looked good on offense and defense. 

I know little about Mansfield....This will be a good game to gauge both teams. It will be fun to see a game between OH and MA. 

Princeton (2-0) @ Sycamore (2-0) - Princeton 31 Sycamore 17

Princeton has been all the hype in Cincinnati this season because of some big name talent and transfers. Princeton may be the most talented team in the state with 3 of the top 4 players in Ohio and some other stars. They are stacked on defense and have some good players on offense. The problem with Princeton has been penalties and coaching. We haven't been able to see how good they really are yet, because they haven't played a good team yet.

Sycamore has a pretty good team that beat a solid Kings team last week. Sycamore has a balanced attack with a pretty good QB. Sycamore is a team who does more with less, because they have one of the best coaching staffs in Ohio. Coach Dattillo has long been one of my favorite high school football coaches. 

Princeton will be far more talented than Sycamore. However, Sycamore has been a proven program that usually do not beat themselves. They should provide a good test. If Princeton is really one of the top teams in the state, then they should beat Sycamore comfortably.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Colerain vs. Oak Hills??  How will the Cards respond after the heart-breaker last week against St. X?  Will the Highlanders open up the offensive playbook and show Colerain a thing or two they haven't seen on film?  How early does the running clock start? ☺️

Really excited to see how the Sycamore/Princeton game plays out.  I like Sycamore in this game, mainly because I think Princeton's sloppy coaching and being on the road is going to catch up to them.  It would be a slight upset, but I can see it happening.  I hope not because I really want the Vikes undefeated when the Cards visit in a week.

How about Wayne vs. T-M?  You think we can get some L2's??  GEESH!!!

-93CardinalsFan

11 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Hoban (2-0) vs. St Ignatius (1-1) - Hoban 24-21

Hoban absolutely rolled Cardinal Mooney 49-0. Hoban looks very good. This is a game that everyone wants to see. Hoban beat Iggy last year, but can they do it again this year? With all of the experience that Hoban has back, they'll be up to the task. 

Iggy lost a back and forth game with Mentor last week 38-31. Iggy seems to be playing pretty well right now. I haven't had a chance to see this game yet. 

Last year Hoban was able to grind Iggy out at the end of the game and take the game. I expect another close game and wouldn't be shocked by either team winning. 

Pickerington Central (2-0) vs. Naperville Central (0-2) - Pick Central 28 Naperville 14

Pick Central had an unimpressive 20-14 win against Columbus East IN last week. Pick Central was up 20-0 late in the 4th when East scored a TD, recovered the onside kick, and then scored another TD. I'd like to hear more about this game. 

Naperville Central has lost to Hinsdale Central and were blown out by Lincoln Way East.

Pick Central has had a bit of a slow start this season, mostly due to some unfortunate sequences. I'm not sure how much they are using Crenshaw to run the ball, but I think they are much more effective with a mobile Crenshaw. 

St. Edward (1-1) @ Erie Cathedral Prep PA (3-0) - St. Edward 28 Cathedral Prep 10

Ed's dominated Cass Tech with great special teams, and good defense. Ed's returned the opening kickoff for a TD, blocked 3 punts, and had a pick 6. Ed's was a missed extra point away from a running clock late in the 3rd. 

Cathedral Prep is 3-0 and should be better than last year. They beat the Canadian All Star team, Football North (Clarkson) in week 0. 

Both teams play a similar style of offense. I really don't know how good Cathedral Prep will  be this year. Ed's is a team that usually starts out slow and makes great strides throughout the season. It may seem like an obvious statement, but with St. Edward, I feel more confident in them as the season progresses. I think Ed's wins this game.

Elder (2-0) vs. Clearwater Academy International FL (2-0) - Elder 28 Clearwater 21

Elder beat Indy Cathedral in OT 38-31. It was a back and forth game. Both teams had great offensive games, and both defenses struggled. Elder kicked a game tying FG with seconds left in the game. In OT, Elder scored first, and then Cathedral fumbled and Elder recovered.

I know nothing about Clearwater Academy, except they've dominated 2 crappy Florida teams. 

I don't know what to make of this game. Seems like a game Elder should win. However, Florida teams usually have tons of speed, and that is Elder's achilles heel. 

La Salle (2-0) vs. Mansfield MA - La Salle 20 Mansfield 10

So La Salle has dominated both Lakota West and Mason so far. It appears La Salle may have a pretty good team this year, but its hard to tell because neither opponent is very good this year. So far La Salle has looked good on offense and defense. 

I know little about Mansfield....This will be a good game to gauge both teams. It will be fun to see a game between OH and MA. 

Princeton (2-0) @ Sycamore (2-0) - Princeton 31 Sycamore 17

Princeton has been all the hype in Cincinnati this season because of some big name talent and transfers. Princeton may be the most talented team in the state with 3 of the top 4 players in Ohio and some other stars. They are stacked on defense and have some good players on offense. The problem with Princeton has been penalties and coaching. We haven't been able to see how good they really are yet, because they haven't played a good team yet.

Sycamore has a pretty good team that beat a solid Kings team last week. Sycamore has a balanced attack with a pretty good QB. Sycamore is a team who does more with less, because they have one of the best coaching staffs in Ohio. Coach Dattillo has long been one of my favorite high school football coaches. 

Princeton will be far more talented than Sycamore. However, Sycamore has been a proven program that usually do not beat themselves. They should provide a good test. If Princeton is really one of the top teams in the state, then they should beat Sycamore comfortably.

Fortunately, I have had great success on my Ohio pics this year (so far). I figured out the Hoban, Mentor, St Ed's, and St Ignatius group up North, when they play each other.  Have gone on a week to week basis when they play each other, not the automatic pick each week.

For what it is worth, I believe St. Ignatius wins at Hoban, ending their streak.  St Ignatius let last weeks game slip away, think Coach Kyle will have them ready.

St. Ed's, on the road at Erie Cathedral Prep, is not an automatic IMO.  7 points either way....should be closer than expected.

Elder's defense to me is their BIG question mark.  Offensively they can score; can they stop anyone?  You are correct, Clearwater Academy has destroyed two FL teams....but they play a wide open offense, with plenty of speed (type of team that could give Elder  fits).  Would not be surprised if the loser here scores in the high 20's.  Indy Cathedral is a very good team; Elder was somewhat lucky to win last week IMO.

Cards' and Bombers roll this week.... that is a fact.

Iggy-Hoban is the big one this week. The only two teams to give Hoban L's in the past three years are Ed's (2016) and Ignatius (2017). Both were low scoring affairs in which the depth of the D1 giants simply wore them down in the end. Lack of talent certainly wasn't the issue. In fact, they have had more blue-chippers in recent years than either school. Last year was the big break through when they narrowly defeated Ignatius and went on to an undefeated season. This year's Hoban team is viewed as their most talented yet, at least as far as the skill positions are concerned. Junior Shane Hamm is a talented, mobile QB and a rare three-year starter having led the Knights to state championships the past two years as a freshman and sophomore. Multiple D1 prospects at his disposal in Trayanum  (ASU),  Caden Clark (Bama), and Brayden Fox.  The defense is headlined by the best linebacking corp in the sate with Hightower (MSU), Ollison (UM, Wisco, ASU, Arkansas offers), Luke Bauer, and also Trayanum (technically at the safety position, but he plays like a linebacker). 

On paper, Hoban should probably be favored by multiple scores, but their depth against the larger school will once again be the question. However, Ignatius likes to play a few of their best players both ways as well, mainly Cmeil and Welsh. Cmeil's athleticism was on full display last week taking two kickoff's and a blocked punt to the house.   Welsh is a bell-cow type back, and may find the running a little tough against Hoban's front seven. Can Hanna finally step up and be the passer this Ignatius offense needs to reach its full potential? Will Ignatius get a little more creative on offense to get the ball into Cmeil's hands and incorporate their talented TE Daugstrup? If those two things happen, Ignatius can pull the upset. 

Other games of interest this week:

Solon/Stow: both teams off to 2-0 starts. Solon is considered by some a fringe top ten team, but they still have a lot to prove as far as I'm concerned. Still think they need to move on from McQuaide as their coach to take the next step. So many resources and talent in that school district to continually come up short in R1. Stow has been a thorn in their side lately, taking 3 of the last 4. Prove it game for the Comets. 

Euclid/McKinley: Don't think either of these teams will be a legitimate threat to the big 3 in R1, but both teams have athletes that can create problems for opposing defenses. Winner positions themselves well for the postseason in R1. 

Medina/Wadsworth: Another matchup of 2-0 teams. Medina, like Solon, is a school that should have more success than they do. They're running a pretty wide open offense this year, throwing the ball a ton. They opened up with a mild upset of a talented Cleveland Heights team. Some think they have the potential to play spoiler to Mentor or Solon in the GCC this year. Beat Wadsworth (a regional finalist in D2 last year) and then we'll even entertain that idea. 

Coffman/Jerome: battle of Dublin. If Coffman is to be considered a real threat this year, this is a game they have to win. Drennan is supposed to be returning to action this week, and his health going forward will be critical to how far they go this year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OdbCle said:

Iggy-Hoban is the big one this week. The only two teams to give Hoban L's in the past three years are Ed's (2016) and Ignatius (2017). Both were low scoring affairs in which the depth of the D1 giants simply wore them down in the end. Lack of talent certainly wasn't the issue. In fact, they have had more blue-chippers in recent years than either school. Last year was the big break through when they narrowly defeated Ignatius and went on to an undefeated season. This year's Hoban team is viewed as their most talented yet, at least as far as the skill positions are concerned. Junior Shane Hamm is a talented, mobile QB and a rare three-year starter having led the Knights to state championships the past two years as a freshman and sophomore. Multiple D1 prospects at his disposal in Trayanum  (ASU),  Caden Clark (Bama), and Brayden Fox.  The defense is headlined by the best linebacking corp in the sate with Hightower (MSU), Ollison (UM, Wisco, ASU, Arkansas offers), Luke Bauer, and also Trayanum (technically at the safety position, but he plays like a linebacker). 

On paper, Hoban should probably be favored by multiple scores, but their depth against the larger school will once again be the question. However, Ignatius likes to play a few of their best players both ways as well, mainly Cmeil and Welsh. Cmeil's athleticism was on full display last week taking two kickoff's and a blocked punt to the house.   Welsh is a bell-cow type back, and may find the running a little tough against Hoban's front seven. Can Hanna finally step up and be the passer this Ignatius offense needs to reach its full potential? Will Ignatius get a little more creative on offense to get the ball into Cmeil's hands and incorporate their talented TE Daugstrup? If those two things happen, Ignatius can pull the upset. 

Other games of interest this week:

Solon/Stow: both teams off to 2-0 starts. Solon is considered by some a fringe top ten team, but they still have a lot to prove as far as I'm concerned. Still think they need to move on from McQuaide as their coach to take the next step. So many resources and talent in that school district to continually come up short in R1. Stow has been a thorn in their side lately, taking 3 of the last 4. Prove it game for the Comets. 

Euclid/McKinley: Don't think either of these teams will be a legitimate threat to the big 3 in R1, but both teams have athletes that can create problems for opposing defenses. Winner positions themselves well for the postseason in R1. 

Medina/Wadsworth: Another matchup of 2-0 teams. Medina, like Solon, is a school that should have more success than they do. They're running a pretty wide open offense this year, throwing the ball a ton. They opened up with a mild upset of a talented Cleveland Heights team. Some think they have the potential to play spoiler to Mentor or Solon in the GCC this year. Beat Wadsworth (a regional finalist in D2 last year) and then we'll even entertain that idea. 

Coffman/Jerome: battle of Dublin. If Coffman is to be considered a real threat this year, this is a game they have to win. Drennan is supposed to be returning to action this week, and his health going forward will be critical to how far they go this year. 

Great write up

i like Hoban by a couple scores mainly because of Iggy QB. 

also I’m a bit cool on PC after their first 2 game results so they need to show more

Eds should win by a couple scores also. Any word on Wainwright’s return?

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 9:39 PM, Coletrain06 said:

Penalties, penalties, and more penalties.  It felt like Central didn’t have a single offensive possession that didn’t have at least one penalty.  Several 3rd & 2, 3rd 4 situations turned into 3rd & 7, 3rd & 12, and 3rd & 22.  Central spent the entire first half on Cols East’s side of the 50 but as soon as they’d get inside the 30 the flags would start flying.  They had 2 TDs called back... ended up with only 13 points and a blocked FG attempt.  Should have been 28-0 or worse at half.

Columbus East could do absolutely nothing offensively for 3 quarters then suddenly as soon as they went down 20-0 they caught fire.

Central needs to clean up the penalties. They aren’t Davidson but they certainly aren’t built to covert 3rd and 10+ on a regular basis.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Great write up

i like Hoban by a couple scores mainly because of Iggy QB. 

also I’m a bit cool on PC after their first 2 game results so they need to show more

Eds should win by a couple scores also. Any word on Wainwright’s return?

Hearing Wainwright could be back soon. He has been dealing with this injury since baseball season. With the emergence of Foster, they can probably take extra precaution. Having him back against Elder would be nice, but we need him for the long haul. We'll see if Nate Simon returns this week as well after missing the last game with a finger injury. He's not Wainwright or Foster, but as a second option he can be very effective. 

Also, Hankins is starting to return to full health and looked much better last week against CT. He was a shell of himself against Mentor. A back injury can be tough to deal with, especially for a linebacker like him who likes to stick his nose up in it. 

• Thanks 1

Tigerfan,

PC should roll over Naperville Central........28-7.  NC is out of synch ...mostly on OF which is surprising because they have a good QB and skilled WR`s. Something is not clicking. LWE played an okay game last week at Naperville Central and still beat them convincingly 31-10

At home....PC will find their groove and overpower NC.

I meant to see if there was a Pickerington C game on the web so I could comment on the game. I think if PC can pressure the NC QB they should be good. If not we'll see what the NC should be. Also, NC will have to unleash the QB runs if they can't get time. My inside info says they don't want him to be dual threat bc they don't want him getting hurt.

3 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

They were audio last week. Could because of conflict with Spectrum showing the game. I’m hoping for Spectrum this week. Sorry for those who don’t have it.

I hate the Spectrum crap. They need to get a universal channel for this shit like FS OH. Or have better streaming options.

I'd like a per game or streaming only monthly fee. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bones said:

I meant to see if there was a Pickerington C game on the web so I could comment on the game. I think if PC can pressure the NC QB they should be good. If not we'll see what the NC should be. Also, NC will have to unleash the QB runs if they can't get time. My inside info says they don't want him to be dual threat bc they don't want him getting hurt.

I don't think Pick Central does broadcasts

Coletrain06,

Clearwater is going to be a rough game for Elder.They definitely have speed but they are also HUGE on the lines.....way bigger than Elder. MaxPreps lists a small roster for them...35 kids.....but 8 linemen between 285-310 lbs....6`2-6`7.Ht. Elder`s roster is pretty small ...is around 60 kids correct ? I remember them having 80-90 kids. Clearwater springs the upset...34-28.

14 minutes ago, abbatt said:

Coletrain06,

Clearwater is going to be a rough game for Elder.They definitely have speed but they are also HUGE on the lines.....way bigger than Elder. MaxPreps lists a small roster for them...35 kids.....but 8 linemen between 285-310 lbs....6`2-6`7.Ht. Elder`s roster is pretty small ...is around 60 kids correct ? I remember them having 80-90 kids. Clearwater springs the upset...34-28.

Elder is pretty solid on the Lines. That's the best thing going for them this year. They have three 3🌟 on the OLine. Maybe the best OLine in Ohio.

If anything, it'll be the speed that kills them. Elder really struggles with speed