9/13-14/19, Possibly biggest weekend for California football until November

Cal 14

There are a number of games this week that will impact both the CIF state bowl playoffs, as well as national rankings.

In NorCal:

1. De La Salle vs Folsom - Winner likely gets CIF Open Division bowl bid, in addition to a likely surge in national rankings.

2a/2b. San Mateo Serra vs. Stockton St. Mary's and San Jose Valley Christian vs. Fresno Clovis West - Right now, I think that if either of the two CCS top teams (Serra or Valley Christian, who play each other on 11/2/19) go undefeated this year, they'll get put up against the loser of DLS/Folsom in CIF D-1AA, dropping the CS D-I winner (probably Fresno Central, due to back-to-back losses to Folsom in the last two years) down to D-1A.  These two games also help shape the relative strength of the NorCal sections.  In my opinion, both the SJS and NCS are a little down this year, while the CCS appears to be up and deeper than usual.

4.  Brentwood Liberty vs Danville Monte Vista - While this game won't likely impact any of the state bowl divisions (both will likely lose to DLS in the NCS D-I playoffs), it will give the winner the early #2 ranking in the NCS.  Runners-up no longer get the ability to advance to the CIF bowl playoffs.

In SoCal:

1a/1b/1c. Our Lady of Good Counsel (MD) vs. Bellflower St. John Bosco, Milton (GA) vs. San Juan Capistrano JSerra, and St. Frances Academy (MD) vs. Santa Ana Mater Dei - The Trinity League vs the World event will surely impact national rankings and potentially help determine the MNC.

4. Harbor City Narbonne vs. Orange Lutheran - With Cathedral Catholic's win over Corona Centennial, the SDS vaulted itself firmly in the D-1AA picture.  Narbonne needs this win to make it's case to not get dropped to CIF D-1A in favor of the SS D-II champ.

Nevada vs Calfornia:

1. Liberty (NV) vs. Corona Centennial - Although Liberty has started 0-3, all three losses were to very good teams such as St. John Bosco.  The Huskies find themselves in completely foreign territory, starting 1-2, and probably need a good showing here to reinforce their national image as one of the top public school teams in the country.

2. Faith Lutheran (NV) vs. Rancho Cucamonga - This is a little bit of a save-face game for California.  Faith Lutheran comes into this game 0-2, with one of those losses coming to Saguaro (AZ).  Rancho Cucamonga, 1-2, came into this season as a possible contender in SS D-II and needs a good win here to show that they're still viable in that division.  Teams that fall into this division need to start building resumes to hold off Narbonne if they want to compete in CIF D-1AA.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

Right now, I think that if either of the two CCS top teams (Serra or Valley Christian, who play each other on 11/2/19) go undefeated this year, they'll get put up against the loser of DLS/Folsom in CIF D-1AA, dropping the CS D-I winner (probably Fresno Central, due to back-to-back losses to Folsom in the last two years) down to D-1A.  ttle down this year, while the CCS appears to be up and deeper than usual.

Is the CIF now using previous years results as criteria for selecting? SMH, not shocked! What an inept organization that is.

3 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Is the CIF now using previous years results as criteria for selecting? SMH, not shocked! What an inept organization that is.

Why wouldn't they?  What's different about this Central team compared to the last two?  An undefeated VC or Serra schedule would be better than that of Central.

Just now, Cal 14 said:

Why wouldn't they?  What's different about this Central team compared to the last two?  An undefeated VC or Serra schedule would be better than that of Central.

Well it’s a new year and a different team. I just hadn’t seen past years results used as a criteria for choosing teams, but as I said I wouldn’t be surprised it’s the CIF.

Agreed a undefeated VC or Serra would have a better schedule than Central.

DLS holds off a late Folsom surge to win 42-27.

Serra clobbers St. Mary's 56-28.

Valley Christian handles Clovis West 34-12.

Liberty takes Monte Vista 24-21.

St. John Bosco easily beat Our Lady of Good Counsel 31-8.

Narbonne indeed makes a statement with 38-0 win over Orange Lutheran.

Centennial takes Liberty 63-29.

1 hour ago, Cal 14 said:

DLS holds off a late Folsom surge to win 42-27.

Serra clobbers St. Mary's 56-28.

Valley Christian handles Clovis West 34-12.

Liberty takes Monte Vista 24-21.

St. John Bosco easily beat Our Lady of Good Counsel 31-8.

Narbonne indeed makes a statement with 38-0 win over Orange Lutheran.

Centennial takes Liberty 63-29.

On the Nor Cal Board a Serra poster had a terrific write up of the Serra game where they put a running clock on ST. Mary’s tonight on the road....

Next to DLS they have played the best Schedule in Nor Cal this year going 3-0 scoring 55+ against Both PITT and ST Mary’s.... They also dominated Menlo Atherton who Folsom will play in 2 weeks...

I think you are right and if Serra or Valley Christian goes undefeated they go to D1-AA over Fresno....

Looking forward to seeing how the CCS plays out, looking like the strongest section in Nor Cal so far!...

4 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

On the Nor Cal Board a Serra poster had a terrific write up of the Serra game where they put a running clock on ST. Mary’s tonight on the road....

Last year they got worked by Serra Gardena and if I’m not mistaken, their QB died tragically?  After that they weren’t that good.  Nice to see then bounce back.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Last year they got worked by Serra Gardena and if I’m not mistaken, their QB died tragically?  After that they weren’t that good.  Nice to see then bounce back.  

I want to say it was the Brother of the QB that died in a car crash but I am not sure...

And Yes, they lost Badly to 3 or 4 of the best teams they played and didn’t challenge for the league title which is odd for them....

Form what I have read about the team though it is all about the lineman... I think they had some injuries last year and may have gotten a transfer or 2, but they are significantly bigger and better then last year on their lines...

Their QB is playing really well too, he is a senior and I am pretty sure his dad played for the Niners.... Can’t remember the name though and too lazy to look it up!...🤣🤣