Week 3 What we learned

Sammyswordsman

1.  The Polls are mostly reflective of Lazy polsters.  Making the polls lazy as well.

2.  St. X is a very good team this year.

3.  IMG still rules the East Coast and South

4.  The WCAC is a formidable group of teams. 

5.  Georgia football is a total crap shoot each and every week.

6.  Hoban is maybe not what we thought they were.

7. Small market teams do well against other small market teams, and not so well vs. Large market teams.

8.  SJC is going to lose to Duncanville if they can't beat a team that loses to Grayson

9.  Colquitt County kids play with alot of heart.  Their program will be fine moving forward

Grayson did knock off Marietta also. 

Colquitt's row doesn't get any easier. Need some guys to get healed up for certain. Warner Robins Demons and Grayson Rams rolling in for the next 2 weeks straight. 

SJC will probably lose to Duncanville. They aren't as good as their talent on paper looks. Kinda like Marietta. 

Hoban... damn Ohio. Damn them.

Georgia is pretty tough to cipher. No doubt about that. At this moment, I don't feel like huge shifts in the top 10 are necessary. I'm guessing the lazy polls will shoot McEachern and Grayson to the top. Maybe that's where they belong. Idk. We'll see in a couple of weeks on Grayson. Gonna get them in the pen and hopefully lock the gate. 

IMG... eh... fuck em.

I agree about the polls. They are a beauty pageant that never ends. Ooooo look at that roster. Oooooo look at them. Ooooooo. 

Oooops. 

xD

• Like 2

I got caught up in the wildness of some of the games last night......but now I will try to be objective.

I have said for 2 years that Arch Bishop Hoban was over-rated.......they were and they are. The Ohio posters keep using the excuse that they don`t have the depth to play with the big boys.....that`s nonsense...they have 75 kids on their roster...more than Elder...more than Mater Dei !!! The best teams in Ohio did not play the best from Illinois in the match-ups.LWE is right there with the top teams in Ohio.Everybody says that comparing scores of common opponents doesn`t matter...but I say that it does......back to back weeks....Homewood-Flossmoor Il. beat Penn, Ind. 35-7....St.X.beat Penn 37-7.

Louisville Trinity is good..but they`ve been gnawing on soft candy.....Indiana is down and Waubonsie Valley Il had no business playing them.....last year WV got blasted 3 times in IL as well.

I think that SJP is very good and will easily win PA again...but PA is very down.

The WCAC is a rugged conference......SJB is a very strong team...I wonder how those match-ups might have gone if they had been played out East?

There was a wild one in IL last night as well.....ESL survived Neuqua Valley...50-48.

I feel that the Mater Dei /St.Francis game will be a classic...the true number one team will come out of that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abbatt said:

I have said for 2 years that Arch Bishop Hoban was over-rated.......they were and they are. The Ohio posters keep using the excuse that they don`t have the depth to play with the big boys.....that`s nonsense...they have 75 kids on their roster...more than Elder...more than Mater Dei !!! The best teams in Ohio did not play the best from Illinois in the match-ups.LWE is right there with the top teams in Ohio.Everybody says that comparing scores of common opponents doesn`t matter...but I say that it does......back to back weeks....Homewood-Flossmoor Il. beat Penn, Ind. 35-7....St.X.beat Penn 37-7.

Was any real thought put into this?

The number of kids on the roster determines depth? That's moronic.

And 30-something to 7 scores with a common opponent are supposed to be a good measuring stick of equivalency?  It's that simple?  The fact that X was coming off the Colerain game is not a factor? That X didn't play the 3* 6'4" kid who had 3 TDs against Colerain is not a factor?  How about - apart from a single 4th quarter garbage time run - that Penn had 50 yards of offense in the  game and a whopping four first downs?  If you had to bet your life, are you seriously suggesting you think Homewood-effing-Flossmoor would really challenge St X? You'd have to think about it?

• Like 1

Concha,

I`ll answer you this way......St.X is top 3 in Ohio......H-F is top 15 in IL. Penn had 109 yds in total OF against H-F.

How is the number of kids on a roster not a sign of depth ? Are many of the kids on Hoban just filler for the roster ? How do you know that H-F couldn`t play with X ??? do you know anything about them ??? How are back to back same scores not some kind of measuring stick of equivalency ??? Did you know that Penn also lost to Valporiso, INd 34-14 ?

There ...I thought about it !!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, abbatt said:

Concha,

I`ll answer you this way......St.X is top 3 in Ohio......H-F is top 15 in IL. Penn had 109 yds in total OF against H-F.

How is the number of kids on a roster not a sign of depth ? Are many of the kids on Hoban just filler for the roster ? How do you know that H-F couldn`t play with X ??? do you know anything about them ??? How are back to back same scores not some kind of measuring stick of equivalency ??? Did you know that Penn also lost to Valporiso, INd 34-14 ?

You aren't a deep thinker.

The number of kids on a roster is just that. A number.  Alabama has a similar number of players on its roster as many other big schools.  So the other schools must have the same depth. Right?  St. X has nearly 90 kids on the varsity roster.  Beyond MAYBE the top 35 or 40 kids, is that number really meaningful at all? Some schools can afford to suit up kids who will hardly ever sniff the field. Some schools recruit or have a red carpet out for transfers every year. I'm thinking that you are the type of big intellect that thinks a car goes faster if you paint a cool stripe on the side.

Did you know that Valpo is a top contender for the Indy 5A title (they're 4-0 , outscoring opponents by about 175-35 so far and have history being very competitive with the big dogs of 6A)?  You didn't answer about the Colerain game. Is there never a tendency for a bit of a letdown against a lesser opponent following a huge game like that?  Do you think the 6'4" 3-star guy who was responsible for all three TDs against Colerain might have had a field day against Penn? LMAO.  Do you consider Illinois on the level of Ohio as a football state? Because if you do, you are probably the only human on the planet who does. Ever. There is no reason to believe that H-F would be any more than a middling opponent in a typical St X schedule.

You thought about it? No. Not really.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, concha said:

You aren't a deep thinker.

The number of kids on a roster is just that. A number.  Alabama has a similar number of players on its roster as many other big schools.  So the other schools must have the same depth. Right?  St. X has nearly 90 kids on the varsity roster.  Beyond MAYBE the top 35 or 40 kids, is that number really meaningful at all? Some schools can afford to suit up kids who will hardly ever sniff the field. Some schools recruit or have a red carpet out for transfers every year. I'm thinking that you are the type of big intellect that thinks a car goes faster if you paint a cool stripe on the side.

Did you know that Valpo is a top contender for the Indy 5A title (they're 4-0 , outscoring opponents by about 175-35 so far and have history being very competitive with the big dogs of 6A)?  You didn't answer about the Colerain game. Is there never a tendency for a bit of a letdown against a lesser opponent following a huge game like that?  Do you think the 6'4" 3-star guy who was responsible for all three TDs against Colerain might have had a field day against Penn? LMAO.  Do you consider Illinois on the level of Ohio as a football state? Because if you do, you are probably the only human on the planet who does. Ever. There is no reason to believe that H-F would be any more than a middling opponent in a typical St X schedule.

You thought about it? No. Not really.

Did Marshall Lang not play? He is X's best player IMO. 

19 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Did Marshall Lang not play? He is X's best player IMO. 

Not unless they just decided not to pass to him... LOL

Rueve was 13/14 for nearly 300 yards without him.

X was clearly not going for the jugular. They were passing at will, didn't field their go-to guy and they had ten (10!) kids get to run the melon. Rueve could hardly miss but they ran over 70% of the time.

The mental math is not tough.  Except for some, apparently.  ;)

9 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

1.  The Polls are mostly reflective of Lazy polsters.  Making the polls lazy as well.

2.  St. X is a very good team this year.

3.  IMG still rules the East Coast and South

4.  The WCAC is a formidable group of teams. 

5.  Georgia football is a total crap shoot each and every week.

6.  Hoban is maybe not what we thought they were.

7. Small market teams do well against other small market teams, and not so well vs. Large market teams.

8.  SJC is going to lose to Duncanville if they can't beat a team that loses to Grayson

9.  Colquitt County kids play with alot of heart.  Their program will be fine moving forward

Not sure how the Hoban game changed anybody's opinion on them.

Every Ohio poster said it was basically a toss up game, and that the key for Iggy was to wear them down late in the game. Hoban had a 35-10 lead, Iggy came back, and then Hoban failed on a go ahead 2 pt conversion. 

I don't think anybody from Ohio is touting Hoban as an elite national powerhouse, but they are probably around the top 25

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Every Ohio poster said it was basically a toss up game, and that the key for Iggy was to wear them down late in the game. Hoban had a 35-10 lead, Iggy came back, and then Hoban failed on a go ahead 2 pt conversion. 

I don't think anybody from Ohio is touting Hoban as an elite national powerhouse, but they are probably around the top 25

If only Hoban had suited up the debate team so they could pad the roster count and have more depth.

2 hours ago, abbatt said:

Concha,

X is top 3 in OH? They may be as the season progresses, but right now most would probably have them around 6 or 7. 

Hoban is a school with ~ 400 boys. They would be D3 if not for competitive balance. Iggy is a school of ~ 1500 boys. Depth is definitely a factor, mainly on the Lines. Hoban started a few Sophomores and juniors on the OLine. Iggy was able to continuously rotate Defenders in the 2nd half. 

1 minute ago, Coletrain06 said:

X is top 3 in OH? They may be as the season progresses, but right now most would probably have them around 6 or 7. 

Hoban is a school with ~ 400 boys. They would be D3 if not for competitive balance. Iggy is a school of ~ 1500 boys. Depth is definitely a factor, mainly on the Lines. Hoban started a few Sophomores and juniors on the OLine. Iggy was able to continuously rotate Defenders in the 2nd half. 

In Illinois, the thing that counts is the number of kids who suit up.

We Ohio folks have no clue. It's not like we're from a football state. 🤣

6 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Exactly. I don't view either team much differently than I did before. In fact, Hoban may still be best in the state on any given Friday. I expected a great game between two very good teams and they delivered.  If anything, I was surprised to see Hoban get out to such a big lead. Ignatius had a miraculous comeback, assisted by a little luck (the TD pass when Hanna's knees were pretty clearly on the ground), and Hoban opted to go for the win rather than OT (terrible call not to hand off to Trayanum there). 

The difference in the game was Hanna finally stepping up as a passer and Ignatius going no huddle on offense to gas out the Hoban defense in the second half. Despite similar roster size, Ignatius is clearly deeper on the lines and was able to sub more liberally without the level of play dropping off. The return of McNamara at LB was a huge bonus as well. I didn't know he was out the first two weeks. And how about that kicker booming a couple 50+ yarders? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Exactly. I don't view either team much differently than I did before. In fact, Hoban may still be best in the state on any given Friday. I expected a great game between two very good teams and they delivered.  If anything, I was surprised to see Hoban get out to such a big lead. Ignatius had a miraculous comeback, assisted by a little luck (the TD pass when Hanna's knees were pretty clearly on the ground), and Hoban opted to go for the win rather than OT (terrible call not to hand off to Trayanum there). 

The difference in the game was Hanna finally stepping up as a passer and Ignatius going no huddle on offense to gas out the Hoban defense in the second half. Despite similar roster size, Ignatius is clearly deeper on the lines and was able to sub more liberally without the level of play dropping off. The return of McNamara at LB was a huge bonus as well. I didn't know he was out the first two weeks. And how about that kicker booming a couple 50+ yarders? 

Iggy kicker hit from 53& 56 yards Wow!

Nice recap here

hate when others read scores and draw clumsily conclusions 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Is that the same kid from last year or did they get another beast of a kicker?

Different kid I believe 

they get these soccer kids to buy in every year

at Iggy when you play football you play another sport or end up with coach Chico running track . He gets slow kids running a bit faster 😀  and he is a great guy, motivator and better teacher- one of a kind