Some common things I’m seeing...

954gator

-In general there are a whole lot of offensive PI’s that are just not ever getting called.   Some pretty blatant ones tonight IMO.   Folsom’s TD before half and one of SJP’s WR shoving Elias Ricks on a sideline pass are just a few of the bunch.   Def PIs are bing called a shit ton, but rarely being called on Wrs. 

-I’ve been disappointed with refs in general.     Away teams get a lead and all of a sudden the home team’s 3rd and longs are getting converted via personal fouls/PIs and away teams are too often getting hit with mystery Holding calls or ineligible WR down field on early downs getting put in big holes.  Maybe the ESPN games are being officiated to be close games I dunno 🤷‍♂️  I am not liking it at all.

-Special teams are just not as good as they used to be.   More kids kicking into the endzone on KOs sure, but FG’s/punts/ coverage/ etc just overall underwhelming.        

• Like 5

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It's not just ESPN games. The officiating is falling off, literally. 

They are practically begging for people to become officials right now in Georgia. Advertising during games for officials. 

Some of it's pretty awful really. 

I wonder how much of it is due to the level of play?  High school football is being played at a high level by a lot more teams these days than in years past IMHO.  Is it simply that refs can’t keep up?  Some of the NFL and college refs look like they could put a hurt on a lot of folks.  In high school football, you see a lot of guys that aren’t in good enough shape to follow along with the flow of the game.  

BTW, Valdosta and CC must have been a great game to watch.  I was pulling for CC.  I love the CC teams lol.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 954gator said:

-In general there are a whole lot of offensive PI’s that are just not ever getting called.   Some pretty blatant ones tonight IMO.   Folsom’s TD before half and one of SJP’s WR shoving Elias Ricks on a sideline pass are just a few of the bunch.   Def PIs are bing called a shit ton, but rarely being called on Wrs. 

-I’ve been disappointed with refs in general.     Away teams get a lead and all of a sudden the home team’s 3rd and longs are getting converted via personal fouls/PIs and away teams are too often getting hit with mystery Holding calls or ineligible WR down field on early downs getting put in big holes.  Maybe the ESPN games are being officiated to be close games I dunno 🤷‍♂️  I am not liking it at all.

-Special teams are just not as good as they used to be.   More kids kicking into the endzone on KOs sure, but FG’s/punts/ coverage/ etc just overall underwhelming.        

There is such favoritism shown to offenses in general now. Targeting, roughing the passer, propensity to call defensive PI over offensive PI, etc. A spread, quick release passing game makes sense now: it can be darn near impossible to sack the QB if they just always release the ball to wherever when pressure arrives. Roughing the passer can be called every time a QB gets hit, no matter what.

Coverage on returns seems especially bad now. Coverage teams seem entirely reliant upon a ref calling a play back or a return guy fumbling.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, On2whls said:

I wonder how much of it is due to the level of play?  High school football is being played at a high level by a lot more teams these days than in years past IMHO.  Is it simply that refs can’t keep up?  Some of the NFL and college refs look like they could put a hurt on a lot of folks.  In high school football, you see a lot of guys that aren’t in good enough shape to follow along with the flow of the game.  

BTW, Valdosta and CC must have been a great game to watch.  I was pulling for CC.  I love the CC teams lol.

Yeah, idk. That's a good point. 

Officials have a tough job, so, for one thing, gotta make it worth it for them monetarily. Especially at the level of play we are seeing. 

Just picking on the group we had last night, which is mean and maybe part of the reason it's hard to get officials...

They were actually in shape for the most part. They just didn't call an even handed game. I guess maybe Colquitt has developed a rep and doesn't get benefit of a doubt or whatever due to notoriety. Idk what it is. 

I actually want to cover my eyes sometimes. It's like, you can sense they're going to take a play away from you after you just saw them let the same thing happen on the other end. 

It's like second nature to just scan the entire field for a flag after every play now. Even the distant endzone where there is no action. Sometimes we deserve a flag, but, when the other team does practically the same exact thing, throw one on them too. The last about 3 years for Colquitt have been terrible with penalties. Different coaching staffs and everything. Still that penalty stuff hasn't changed.

5 hours ago, On2whls said:

I read something that said in Georgia they are trying to field 7 and 8 man crews.  I work with a ref and he said they are stressing mechanics a lot.  If the ref is in position they don't have to run much.  I think we had an 8 man crew last week with 7 on the field and 1 on the clock and I know we had a 9 man crew last night with 8 on the field and 1 on the clock.  I thought it was called fairly reasonably. 

By the way, GA has gone to a 40 sec clock from the end of the previous play like college and pro and I like it.  Much more even pace to the game and it doesn't depend on the white hat signaling to start the clock.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It's not just ESPN games. The officiating is falling off, literally. 

They are practically begging for people to become officials right now in Georgia. Advertising during games for officials. 

Some of it's pretty awful really. 

Oh 100%,  it's just usually the ESPN games are called more evenly.   

It blows my mind that of the ESPN games I saw with SJP  (SJP-SJC, Marrietta-SJP, SJP-IMG)  the game that was called the most evenly was the one played in GA!    How ironic is that shit?