College Decision Help for a Hopeful College Walk-On

sealclubber0000

I really need some help and I don't know where else to turn but you guys. I am a senior in high school, and I need to decide where I want to go to college. I need to decide by May 1st (6 days) between a small prestigious liberal arts school that doesn't have a football and UVA (Virginia). I am split between the two and if I would make the team on UVA walking on I would definitely pick UVA over the other school. I played DE and MLB in high school and racked up some pretty good numbers, but I don't have a flashy highlight tape. Do you guys think I could walk on to the team with my measurables and some grinding over the summer?

Measurables:

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 240

40: 5.06

Bench: 275

Squat: 450

Clean: 225

I really have no idea because I have never seen you play.Do you think you could make it? I'm just going to say what I would do...If I still had that itch to play I would try.

my story.. I hadn't played baseball for about 4 years after High school because of personal issues but I had the itch to play so I enrolled at  the local JC and tried out.When final cut day came my name wasn't on the cut list or the team list.

I asked coach what was the deal and he said he didn't think I would make the team but I was welcome to keep coming out..so I did...long story short I made the team and found myself getting an offer to a NAIA school after the season

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sealclubber0000 said:

I really need some help and I don't know where else to turn but you guys. I am a senior in high school, and I need to decide where I want to go to college. I need to decide by May 1st (6 days) between a small prestigious liberal arts school that doesn't have a football and UVA (Virginia). I am split between the two and if I would make the team on UVA walking on I would definitely pick UVA over the other school. I played DE and MLB in high school and racked up some pretty good numbers, but I don't have a flashy highlight tape. Do you guys think I could walk on to the team with my measurables and some grinding over the summer?

Measurables:

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 240

40: 5.06

Bench: 275

Squat: 450

Clean: 225

Forget about your measurables. How's your work ethic? 

29 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

your bench and others for your size is below average at best

I don't buy into the bench press as an effective evauluation tool. 

One example tamba hali ... he was like 275+ and did only 18 reps. Really poor number for one of the top LBs in the league for years. 

6 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

I don't buy into the bench press as an effective evauluation tool. 

One example tamba hali ... he was like 275+ and did only 18 reps. Really poor number for one of the top LBs in the league for years. 

As Chimp asked,

dont you think your work ethic explains your measurables?

well I answered the question 

prepare if you want the job... if your coach can't help it is out there

just being honest... no sugar coating it

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

With or without football, a UVA education will set you up for life.

Unless your other option is a NESCAC member school, I'd select UVA. 

#40yeardecision

The University of Virginia is one of the best colleges in the United States. Depending on your eventual field it may be among the very best. Charlottesville is also one of the best and most beautiful places in America to live (I would match the UVA campus to any in America).  Perhaps I am chauvinistic because I live in Reston (grew up in D. C. and went to MD.) I would be honored to one day say I graduated from the University of Virginia.  I would also consider William and Mary if that is an option but otherwise as GardenStateBaller notes "a UVA education will set you up for life."  The University of Virginia will open a lot of doors for you whether you play football or not.

Good luck with your decision.

You've got great academic choices

choose the college that's the best fit for you

a couple of opinions because you asked --

-- I think unlikely that you'll ever see the field but may make the team

-- I think you are over-weighting the value of "making the team" as a deep walk on right now because you're gripping a bit on whether football is over

interestingly, one of my sons had a bit of a similar consideration regarding UVA and being deep in bench of a D1 team (not football) -- was a bit more involved but he decided to "retire" and has had 3 years of a great experience somewhere else