DeMatha 26 vs Gonzaga 28 (F)

BigDrop

DeMatha will be an entirely different team next week.  Consider that freshman Cam Edge entered the game midway through the third quarter and after a couple of ten yards downfield gains through a 50+ yard td pass.  Next drive took DM 70+ yards in two minutes for another td.  Incredible, heart stopping (pick your hyperbole) performance against Gonzaga in the waning minutes.  But he did it! On Gonzaga’s home field!

Who knows what the result might have been if the kick hadn’t been blocked after the third td.  But Cameron Edge is exciting.

And promising.  A totally new dimension for DM.  I sincerely look forward to the next weeks with him leading the team.

Again:  bravo (!) Mr. McGregor.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/gonzaga-beats-dematha-behind-caleb-williams is USA Today’s analysis of today’s game.

Again, Cameron Edge allows a totally different look for DM.  As USA Today notes he is, at a minimum, DeMatha’s future for the next three years.

Next week DM plays Good Counsel.  He MUST start.  I believe that DM’s fortunes this year will be dictated by how quickly he settles in.  Today, it looked like he will be to football what Adrian Dantley was to basketball.

As Bill McGregor said in an interview he is the best freshman he has ever seen.I believe Bill’s glorious run at DM will end up legendary and Cameron Edge will play a major role in shaping this.

Although DM didn’t win today I would suggest the incredible performance of Cam Edge was worth the loss to discover that he is ready right now.

33 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/gonzaga-beats-dematha-behind-caleb-williams is USA Today’s analysis of today’s game.

Again, Cameron Edge allows a totally different look for DM.  As USA Today notes he is, at a minimum, DeMatha’s future for the next three years.

Next week DM plays Good Counsel.  He MUST start.  I believe that DM’s fortunes this year will be dictated by how quickly he settles in.  Today, it looked like he will be to football what Adrian Dantley was to basketball.

As Bill McGregor said in an interview he is the best freshman he has ever seen.I believe Bill’s glorious run at DM will end up legendary and Cameron Edge will play a major role in shaping this.

Although DM didn’t win today I would suggest the incredible performance of Cam Edge was worth the loss to discover that he is ready right now.

I respect your opinion and passion, but man... You may be the worst when it comes to knee jerk reactions. Lol

37 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I respect your opinion and passion, but man... You may be the worst when it comes to knee jerk reactions. Lol

I’vebeen a fan of the freshman since the scrimmages.  He also has a real background story and has made real sacrifices to go to DM.  (Family lives in DE) He had a late drive against SJB but it was discounted as against backups.  Today was different.  On the intimidating GZ’s home field he came through twice.  Especially the last drive.  Look at my comments earlier in this thread from the first DM qb.  Phenomenal potential that I think will change DM’s offense with a new dimension for the remainder of the season.

Next week’s game against Good Counsel has new meaning.

14 hours ago, BigDrop said:

I’vebeen a fan of the freshman since the scrimmages.  He also has a real background story and has made real sacrifices to go to DM.  (Family lives in DE) He had a late drive against SJB but it was discounted as against backups.  Today was different.  On the intimidating GZ’s home field he came through twice.  Especially the last drive.  Look at my comments earlier in this thread from the first DM qb.  Phenomenal potential that I think will change DM’s offense with a new dimension for the remainder of the season.

Next week’s game against Good Counsel has new meaning.

It’s football in DC., home field really means nothing. I think Edge will be amazing, but he’s not Caleb and I don’t ever will be. As I said, Gonzaga won because of him. What they do to me, is amazing! They have zero talent, compared to the big dogs of the WCAC. How hasn’t a college scooped up that coach? 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GREYHOUNDALUM said:

It’s football in DC., home field really means nothing. I think Edge will be amazing, but he’s not Caleb and I don’t ever will be. As I said, Gonzaga won because of him. What they do to me, is amazing! They have zero talent, compared to the big dogs of the WCAC. How hasn’t a college scooped up that coach? 

I agree with the home field take. It doesn’t matter when the schools are what, 5 miles away? 

My opinion...Edge is a better passer than Willams was as a freshman. Williams is the better athlete and that helps as a 220lb runner at the high school level. Both kids have the chance to be the best two QB’s ever from the WCAC. I’d like to see Edge get a full start against SJC or GC, but I understand if they rotate him. He’s only a freshman and McGregor has only been the HC for 8 months. DM is about to make a huge push over the next few years. 

Gonzaga has the best QB, OL and TE in the league. Best OL usually wins the WCAC title. The narrative that GZ doesn’t have talent has been around for decades. It’s outdated/lazy at this point.

Trivers has coached at a couple P5 schools. I think he’s ok not having to deal with the off-season travel grind right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I agree with the home field take. It doesn’t matter when the schools are what, 5 miles away? 

My opinion...Edge is a better passer than Willams was as a freshman. Williams is the better athlete and that helps as a 220lb runner at the high school level. Both kids have the chance to be the best two QB’s ever from the WCAC. I’d like to see Edge get a full start against SJC or GC, but I understand if they rotate him. He’s only a freshman and McGregor has only been the HC for 8 months. DM is about to make a huge push over the next few years. 

Gonzaga has the best QB, OL and TE in the league. Best OL usually wins the WCAC title. The narrative that GZ doesn’t have talent has been around for decades. It’s outdated/lazy at this point.

Trivers has coached at a couple P5 schools. I think he’s ok not having to deal with the off-season travel grind right now.

They have a very good OL, not sure I would say the best. SJC IMO has the best. They obviously have the best QB, but no way do they have the talent of SJC or DM. 

I haven’t seen enough of Edge to say he’s a better passer than Caleb was as a ninth grader. I was at Caleb’s first Varsity game against Gilman and he was outstanding throwing the ball. Think he threw for 300 years that game or close to it.  

9 hours ago, GREYHOUNDALUM said:

They have a very good OL, not sure I would say the best. SJC IMO has the best. They obviously have the best QB, but no way do they have the talent of SJC or DM. 

I haven’t seen enough of Edge to say he’s a better passer than Caleb was as a ninth grader. I was at Caleb’s first Varsity game against Gilman and he was outstanding throwing the ball. Think he threw for 300 years that game or close to it.  

Gonzaga is the only WCAC team with 5 P5 starters at OL and a P5 TE. 4 of those OL’s are seniors. DM’s OL is close talent wise. GC and SJC are even. 

SJC is heaviest at the skills and DL. 

• Like 1